PDA

View Full Version : Weird F4i sparkplug fouling issue !!!!HELP!!!!

derekm
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I just replaced the plugs and after an hour of riding sunday pulled them out to inspect them. Basically #2 and #3(middle two) got real dark while the #1 and #4(outside two) are looking like new. Plus #2 gets soaked and fouls out after close to an hour (it was much sooner like 15 mins with the old plugs I cleaned and reused) I cranked it over w/ all 4 plugs pulled and no excessive fuel squirted out. While I was riding it on 3 cyls. sunday it felt like on all 4 for a breif moment when slipping the clutch at high rpms.

Heres the deal-01 F4i,5400 miles,sat for 2 years. Cleaned out fuel injectors and fi system, new plugs, fresh oil/filter. ran 5+gallons of 91 with 44k AND gummout fi cleaner w. the second tank.

Oh yeah, so only my N and FI lights are working on my gauges,before the where fine??? and when I take the key out, the FI light is on very dim and a few lines in the lcd display.

Anyone have or see anything like this?
Thanks -Derek :siesta:

Mac020
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Might be a stuck ring? Try burning about a pint of diesel in a full tank. Run the crap out of it. The bike will smoke for awhile but it should free up the rings. If anyone thinks I'm crazy please feel free to say so. I can take it. I've "repaired" a couple of engines this way before.

derekm
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks! a guy mentioned that to me at work about the rings,but not the diesel thing, ill try it.

rybo
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Don't discount the possibility of bad wires, a bad coil or bad connections. Start with the simple stuff and make sure that the wires are firmly and properly plugged into the coil and plug. IF that is good then maybe consider replacing the wires as they may be the cause of your problem.

Scott

mikesf4i
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:18 PM
look for shorted or damaged wiring. your instrument panel should be blank except for the clock when the key is out. If you have a damaged wiring harness it will cause the engine to run like crap. I have heard mice like the taste of wire insulation.

No-coast-punk
Mon Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
It sounds like there are a few separate issues going on.

The thing with the cluster makes me think a mouse had breakfast with your wiring harness. For some reason mice love insulation. Sometimes vibrations can jiggle the wires to a point where things start working properly and then they start fucking up again.

Corrosion from condensation can also cause some weird things.

A coil may have also taken a dump as well. It could be lots of things. Check the basics first, go over the ENTIRE wiring harness with a microscope. Pull all the connectors off everything and look for corrosion. Let us know if you find anything.