PDA

View Full Version : why oh why

Bassil Duwaik
Wed Sep 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Seems as though I've pissed off someone up there. The weather is nothing less than perfect for riding this weekend (upper 70’s), and I'm stuck between court, exams, and a 6000-mile tune-up for that disloyal, high-strung, supermodel Ducati. I could deal with any which two scenarios at once but all three is overwhelming.

The more pressing issue for the bike is the 6000-mile tune up. I've heard time and time again that if I don't do it around 6000 mile then the maintenances on it could go from costing me $800 to triple that if one of my belts fail.

With regards to court, looks like I'm going to dig in for it. All my tickets total 22 points of which I'm going to fight them all tooth and nail! I'm not going to lose my license that easy (damn you again 998). Going to cost me an arm and leg with attorney fees and court cost. However, if I get to keep my license then it’ll be worth every nickel and dime. Son-of-a-gun, why is it every time I get my confidence level to hover around normal I do something dumb to show me just how low it can go.

Well for what it's worth the upside of all this would be my exams. I'm going to smash the exam tomorrow in molecular biology. I've got to make up for royally screwing up during my organic chemistry exam. Damn that professor in that class. I missed the first day of class in which she had stated, "anyone whose cell phone goes off in class gets a pop quiz." Sadly my phone went off and I bombed that quiz for all to see, not once but twice. For what it’s worth I wasn’t the only one to make that mistake, that banshee better curve the grade(s).

In short you lucky *********** who get to ride this weekend I envy you!!! Good luck to all of you and this should go without saying but be careful.

rybo
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Bassil,

If you are at like 5799 and are worried about going to like 6001 then I wouldn't be too concerned. You can ride it a "little" over 6K without worrying too much. The belts are more durable than advertised and the newer ducatis are advertising 7500 mile intervals. The adjustment that is critical is the valve clearance adjustment. I'm not sure what year your bike is, but another concern is that the chrome plating on the rocker arms of some ducati models (about 1999-2002) was flaking off. Getting this taken care of under warranty is a good thing, because the rocker arms aren't exactly cheap. (as with most ducati parts) I have an 01 748 and a total of 6 of the rocker arms had the plating flake off. 4 were found at the 6K service and the other 2 at 12K.

Now, once your bike is past warranty and you want to have a less expensive service routine I suggest you get in touch with Ben Fox. He is in Colorado Springs, but the work he does is worth it. Check out his web page

foxperformanceengines.com

My bike ran better after it's 12K service than it ever has. Ben does awesome work for very reasonable money. IF you decide to go that way please let him know I sent you.

Best of luck with the school and court stuff. If you need someone to babysit the 998 for you while you reduce points on your license I promise I would take excellet care of it and make sure that the tires were rotated on a regular basis :D

Scott

eklew
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Good luck on your molecular biology exam. I have a B.S. in Biological Sciences so I feel your pain. The good news is that if you do well in school and get a kick ass job in the biotech field, the tune ups for your Ducati will seem like peanuts!

pilot
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Bazz,
Just a few things:
1) Radar detector
2) What's your cell #
3) What time does your Chem class start
4) You need a volunteer job delivering food to the elderly so that your license is more "holdable" to the courts. It's not about "you" now, it's about the rest of us.

pilot
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Also, I am available to provide "public beatings":crazy: . I'm sure this form of humiliation will satisfy the following: need of the court to demonstrate to society that you are being "corrected"; your "inner" need to be disciplined; and the pleasure of the SOOO many CSC members:scream1:. Of course, as your hinie will be unable to sit on the Duck, I'm also available to babysit your bike.

rybo
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Also, I am available to provide "public beatings":crazy: . I'm sure this form of humiliation will satisfy the following: need of the court to demonstrate to society that you are being "corrected"; your "inner" need to be disciplined; and the pleasure of the SOOO many CSC members:scream1:. Of course, as your hinie will be unable to sit on the Duck, I'm also available to babysit your bike.

HEY!!!! I volunteered first! (for babysitting the duc that is.)

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I'm on campus now prepping for that exam, humbly taking a little break. Thanks for all the comment. As for the year on that 998 it's a 2004. I think Ducati corrected the problem in 03 so no worries with the chrome flaking off the rocker arms. I will get in touch with Ben Fox and tell him that you recommended him. I’m at exactly 5973miles and am trying to save the rest of the miles for the ride to the shop. Yeah I pamper that 998 well. Never ride it while it’s cold and followed the entire break in procedures for it when I got it!

You pointed out some good ideas pilot. I have a cousin that does the food drives thingy. Ergo, I’ll be sure to point that out to the judge when he/she throws the book at me. With regards to those who would like to look after my 998 I’m flatter by your kind, considerate, admirable, words VULTURES. lol

Alright guys I gotta get back to it. As of now I got 3 hours and 42min and counting till my exam. wish me luck

Canuck
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I’m at exactly 5973miles and am trying to save the rest of the miles for the ride to the shop.

FYI, Ben Fox does do great work, but be prepared to leave your bike at his shop for a few weeks. He is very busy and I know several people who have had to wait a bit longer than anticipated for there bikes/engines. But, it is well worth it, and his pricing is fair as well.

salsashark
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
You may also want to get in touch with Mike Schweitzer at www.supertunemotorsports.com (http://www.supertunemotorsports.com/default.htm)

He's a Ducati nut as well and is a little closer to home.

Dub
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Don't worry too much about going over the 6k mile mark. I waited till about 2yrs of age and 8500mi before having Ben Fox adj the valves and repl the belts on my 749. He did a good job at a very fair price and it took a week or so. It ran great when I got it back and did fine on the 1000 mile roadtrip I went on the next weekend.

rybo
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
HOLY SH*T A post from Dave!

How are you man? Any chance you can make it to IMI tomorrow?

Scott

Bassil Duwaik
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Okay I just finished my exam...eh I did either really good or really bad. Being that many of the formulas used all correlate to one another. Now it's off to court tomorrow. After that it's down to the shop to get the 6000mi. service done. Thanks for recommending Ben to me Scott. I told him as much.

You were right about him not being able to do it right away because he does seem busy but he assured me he'll do it in a couple of weeks which is fine.

King Nothing
Thu Sep 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM
You may also want to get in touch with Mike Schweitzer at www.supertunemotorsports.com (http://www.supertunemotorsports.com/default.htm)

He's a Ducati nut as well and is a little closer to home.+1 What a Duc nerd. Tell him I sent you. :up:

Dub
Sat Sep 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
HOLY SH*T A post from Dave!

How are you man? Any chance you can make it to IMI tomorrow?

Scott

Sorry, too busy with the new job to take any time off for a while. Other than that, doing great!

beavisr1
Sat Oct 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
the 6000 mile and the 7000 mile and the 8000 mile service is the reason I declined to buy a ducati I want to ride the fucker and not have it in the shop all the time. Jap bikes you can bet the hell out of them and the ducatis are like ferarris great till you have to have them serviced again and again and again.

Bassil Duwaik
Sun Oct 8th, 2006, 01:28 AM
yeah I know the bike is a whore but I get my kicks out of her.

rybo
Sun Oct 8th, 2006, 05:43 AM
the 6000 mile and the 7000 mile and the 8000 mile service is the reason I declined to buy a ducati I want to ride the fucker and not have it in the shop all the time. Jap bikes you can bet the hell out of them and the ducatis are like ferarris great till you have to have them serviced again and again and again.

I've had a couple different ducs over the years and have NEVER had to do a 7000 or 8000 mile service.....I'm not sure where you got your info, but it's wrong.

The service schedule for a ducati Superbike is a 600 mile break in service, and then valve adjustments every 6000 miles thereafter. That is still considerably more service than say, a honda, with valve service every 16,000 but it's certainly NOT every 1,000 miles.

Scott

beavisr1
Sun Oct 8th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I was making a joke!

rybo
Sun Oct 8th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I was making a joke!

My sense of humor must have been temporarily offline. It's back up now and regular service should be reliable.

Scott

BigE
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM

He's a Ducati nut as well and is a little closer to home.

+ (another) 1, Mike is very good with Duc tunes and is a lot closer than the Springs (at least for anyone north of the Springs :lol: ).