PDA

View Full Version : F-ing F3!

TurboGizzmo
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:17 AM
So this past weekend I am changing my oil on my bike (first bike, first time changing oil) and well i got the super duper repair manual and it talks about checking the oil level via the viewer windows, well i spent a good 45 mins looking for this "viewer window" and even got a 2nd pair of eyes to come out and "try" to find it. Well finally I pulled off the left faring to get the owners manual out (yup to get to my storage you have to pull a faring off) and well it says that the bike only has a dip stick and to use that to measure oil level. Luckly the bike takes 3.9 liters of oil which is pretty easy to figure out but geeeezzz, just venting and fyi-ing to other F3 peeps, but also mine being a 98 seems to place it in some limbo point in the CBR600 crossover to the F4 i think....

PS I still love my bike....

Fly boy
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
you have to take of just one faring? I have to take off almost every fairings, to get to the seat screws, once you pop the screws out, seat comes off and VOILA... storage!

TurboGizzmo
Tue Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
you have to take of just one faring? I have to take off almost every fairings, to get to the seat screws, once you pop the screws out, seat comes off and VOILA... storage!

Muuu hahaha well looks like Honda slowly got the storage thing worked out yours you have to remove farings and the seat, me just one side faring, and i know the F4i seat just pops off..... :banghead:

N1KSS1KS1x
Wed Oct 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
wow that convenient

denverbusa
Thu Oct 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM
While I've got easy access to storage on my '98 916 Duc, I had a "great" time changing the oil in it. Easy enough to pull the left & right fairings with the D-rings. Then came the fun. The front exhaust pipe (FBF, not stock) is directly below the filter! I had to remove the entire exhaust system to change the filter. :banghead: It was actually touching the filter and about to rub through it. I had to cut the bolt off of the K&N filter and tapped a little dent into the pipe to gain some clearance (pipe heating oil). Once I put it back together I had better clearance but I couldnt believe they bent the pipes to actually cover the filter. :scream1:

When Honda first released the Hurricane I remember an article in one of the rags which stated "to service the engine requires the use of trained army ants." LOL

rybo
Thu Oct 5th, 2006, 08:39 AM
The FBF set up on the duc doesn't sound very well designed. They ususally have well thought out parts for superbikes. Bummer.

I have the Termi. system on mine and the pipes run "as stock" It's actually a pretty easy bike to do routine maintenance on. The oil fill hole is too small and at a funny angle, but that's nothing a funnel can't fix.

"trained army ants"...now thats funny.