PDA

View Full Version : remove gas tank

firefghtr
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM
is there a way to remove my gas tank w/ leaving the gas in it or do i need to drain it first?

wulf
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM
i pull the gas line and plug it with a bolt the same size, then tighten the hose clamp.

what bike anyways?

firefghtr
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 04:43 PM
cbr 600
:idea: would it work if i just turned the fuel ajuster doohicky to off istead of on or resevior. would that provent gas from leaking.

Anonymous
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Turn the fuel petcock OFF (if there is a secondary one under the tank, turn it off too), start the bike, and run it until it stalls on it's own from fuel starvation. Then, just unhook, unbolt, and you're done.

firefghtr
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 05:07 PM
yea cool im all over it

KooLaid
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 06:25 PM
which 600? f4i? f4? f3? F4i has no petcock, unbolt, plug with finger and flip it over upside down and set it on the ground. No leaky.

Anonymous
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM
which 600? f4i? f4? f3? F4i has no petcock, unbolt, plug with finger and flip it over upside down and set it on the ground. No leaky.

:wtf:

Usually at the bottom of the tank, where the supply line connects, is a manual shutoff. It already should stop flowing with the engine off (no vacuum to open the valve). Is there a little piece sticking out, perhaps square, that could be grabbed with pliers? That's the shutoff.

I find it extremely hard to believe that there is NO way to close off the fuel supply.

KooLaid
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 08:51 PM
No pet cock on my tank. I had to completely take if off a few times. Maybe it's a fuel injection thing???????

Anonymous
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 09:13 PM
How about two lines going to the tank, one supplies fuel (obviously) but is there another one for vacuum? I.e. without the engine running (or cranking) there is no vacuum being generated, so the valve closes off.

KooLaid
Thu Mar 4th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Not sure whatcha talkin' about ralph. But um, that's the job of the fuel pump, to supply fuel. I have like 3 hoses, one for fumes, one for overflow and one for main supply.

firefghtr
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM
theres like three hoses coming off of my tank too but there is a main line with a the pet cock on it that allows me to turn to off.

f3

yakuza
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 10:59 AM
F4i has no fuel shutoff, it's kind of a bummer, a messy bummer.

KooLaid
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks Alex, finally another guy who knows what I'm babbling about!

yakuza
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Oh, I don't really understand, I just pretend so you won't feel so bad. :D :lol:

Anonymous
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 02:44 PM
F4i has no fuel shutoff, it's kind of a bummer, a messy bummer.

Well, you understand my confusion at least... That's highly unusual. Hence my trying to figure out what the hell koolaid was talking about, though now I see he really isn't smoking crack, Honda's engineer was!

KooLaid
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Can't smoke crack, just at work at the moment :D

firefghtr
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM
:shock: thats some good crack :shock:

KooLaid
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Thats why I don't share! :lol: