PDA

View Full Version : Gearing?

Khalid 171
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I have a question about gearing. I know what it does to the bike and if you drop a tooth in the front or go up in the rear it gives it more low end power, but what exactly does it do? What would your dyno look like before and after? I know it doesn't add any horsepower. Does it give you the exact same HP and Torque curve as before but at different rpms? So basically instead of max power at 12500 it will bring it down to like 10500? :?

Hoopty
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
It means your top speed is lower (you are a higher RPM at the same speed), but you get there faster. :)

Anonymous
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Does it give you the exact same HP and Torque curve as before but at different rpms?
No, it gives you the same HP and Torque curve but at different speeds. Basically, you'll be getting more HP to the wheel at a lower speed. And like Hoopty said, you'll loose a little off your top speed.

If you want to play around with gearing and see how it affects your top speed, go here:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html

Khalid 171
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 11:15 AM
So your dyno curve looks the same? I know you get there faster. I geared my R6 1 down front and 1 up in the rear and it made a huge differance. I just didn't know the techniqalities(sp) of it. But I think I get it. Thanks Hoopty.

Edit: Just saw your post spiderman also. Thanks and will check out that link.

Anonymous
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
So your dyno curve looks the same?Identical.

thunderseye
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM
how exactly do you re gear a bike is it hard? does anyone here do it for a price?

BenDover
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Easy, just change your sprockets. 8)

thunderseye
Fri Mar 5th, 2004, 09:29 PM
can anyone help with that. i wouldn't even know which ones to get. or have a way to change them

Khalid 171
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 12:11 AM
can anyone help with that. i wouldn't even know which ones to get. or have a way to change them
I can help you with this. Just let me know and I will try and help out.

Ripper
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Here's a speed calculator, that will help you see the hard numbers, the results will be different for you bike, as this example is for the 99'-02' R6.. and I have found this to be extremely accurate, even at this altitude.

http://www.yzfr6.net/sprocket_speed.php

thunderseye
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 07:18 AM
what would you recommend for a cbr 954

Khalid 171
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
what would you recommend for a cbr 954
I would keep it the same, unless you want to wheelie easier. If so, all I would do would drop 1 tooth in the front, which means instead of a 16 tooth sprocket you put on a 15 tooth sprocket, plus you can still use your stock chain. I believe yours is a 16 tooth, but not a 100% sure. You can get a new front sprocket for about $20. I got 2 new sprockets (front and rear) and a new chain from www.sprocketcenter.com They were really great guys and shipped it out the same day I ordered it. Now it might not be worth ordering just a front sprocket, because it is like $7 to ship from there, so it might be cheaper to just buy one locally. So check around and see a price, and if not get one from those guys. Just ask if you have any more questions, or if you order it and need help putting it on.

Anonymous
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
what would you recommend for a cbr 954How many miles on the bike? If there's not many, you should be able to get away with just changing one or both sprockets, but if you've got a bunch of miles, you'll probably going to want to change everything out (new chain and sprockets), and if that's the case, you might want to consider going to a 520 conversion (thinner sprockets & chains = less weight = even faster accelleration).

thunderseye
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
well i have about 8000 miles

thunderseye
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM
do i have to take the tire off to take the chain and sprockets off?

KooLaid
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Take the rear wheel off to replace the rear sprocket but not needed to replace just the front sprocket. You will at the least, need to loosen the axle and slide the wheel all the way forward to get enough slack to replace the front sprocket. Either way, it's still really simple if you have a second body to assist.

thunderseye
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
and hopefully a second body whos done it before

KooLaid
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM
It's a VERY simple thing, even your gf or mom could help out with something like that. All the other body does is, step down on the brake pedal really.

Anonymous
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Here's a speed calculator, that will help you see the hard numbers, the results will be different for you bike, as this example is for the 99'-02' R6.. and I have found this to be extremely accurate, even at this altitude.

http://www.yzfr6.net/sprocket_speed.php

Umm...

Sprocket gearing and relation to speed doesn't change with altitude, yo. ;)

KooLaid
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Damn ralph! Good eye! :shock:

thunderseye
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM
well i was playing out in the road near my house and bounced up a bit higher then i have before anyway. maybe i'll wait on the gearing

KooLaid
Sat Mar 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Yeah, techique and skill will beat out gearing your bike -1/+2. I can bounce up my 600 in 2nd w/stock gearing about a foot or so, but that's it. So I'm certain your 954 could walk all over mine in 2nd.

thunderseye
Sun Mar 7th, 2004, 03:18 PM
for bouncing up a wheelie is it easier if i have my two suspension knobs on hard or soft

KooLaid
Sun Mar 7th, 2004, 06:34 PM
I think soft suspension helps out alot. But because of stunts and wheelies, my once firm (no jokes damn it!) suspension is now a mush ball from stunts.

Devil954
Sun Mar 7th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I geared my 954 down one and the difference was not to much so I am going up 4 on the rear :twisted: no bouncing needed :lol:

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Thunder, I live in Littleton too and can give you a hand with it if you need. It should only take about 10 minutes to do a front sprocket. I suggest just going down 1 tooth on the front. :)

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 10:56 AM
cool i'll let ya know when i get the sprockets. hey hoop do you know anything about wiring? the wires going to my right turnsignal took a shit looks like i'm going to have to start all the way from the battery or something more detail then i'm comfortable with

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM
I'm not good with wiring but I could take a look at it...

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
awesome any help would be appreciated. i went down to performance and they said a rear sprocket was 65 bucks. isn't that rather high?

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah. If you're going to buy a rear, you might as well get front/rear/new chain. They sell the combos (kit) and you can find them online for pretty cheap. Check with TK or if you want to buy local.

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 03:15 PM
ok i'm thinking -1 in the front and up 1 in the back or should i go up 2 in the back?

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
allright my chain still has a lot of life left in it. can i get away with just buying a new front sprocket and going down 1 or 2 and leaving the rear? would it still fit with my chain?

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 03:34 PM
It's your call dude. Just keep in mind that the more you gear your bike down (-front, +rear) the higher your RPMs will be at all times. Think higher RPMs buzzing down the freeway and less gas mileage. As for me, I like the acceleration better than less fuel economy/more buzz on the highway. :)

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 03:36 PM
You should be ok with 1 or 2 tooth difference. What size front sprocket does your come with? The smallest front you ever want to use is 14... If you are getting front and rear sprockets, get the chain too.

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 03:37 PM
yeah i want the acceleration
so back to that last question how many teeth do i really need to go in order to make it pretty easy to wheelie?

Anonymous
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Also consider a K&N filter, you'll get a little boost in performance and better mileage to offset the difference the gearing makes. Good oil, proper chain slack/maintenence, proper axle tightness, and correct tire inflation will also affect mileage (and acceleration).

Hoopty
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM
You have a 954 and you're asking how many you need to wheelie easily?!?! :spit: I haven't ridden a 954, Honda must have done a terrible job! :lol: ;) Seriously dude, you need to take a wheelie school then worry about gearing. That said, dropping just one tooth on the front for a 600 makes quite a difference. :D

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 05:06 PM
maybe i just suck why don't you try riding mine sometime i bought a salvaged bike honda checked it out and said it was fine alread repaired when i bought it. still doesn't seem to be enough power for me i dunno though only my 3rd bike. my last was a firehawk

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 05:52 PM
ya know i think thats it i just need the wheelie school i went back out and found an empty parkinglot near my house and got higher then i ever have before not saying much but still i probably got a good foot or 2. but next question how do you keep from coming down so hard other then just keep on the gas?

KooLaid
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I lean back a bit, and seems to help. Sometimes though, I'll do a nice tall stand up and forget to lean back and extend my arms when I land, so I nearly flip over the front, NOT fun. :lol: :lol:

Khalid 171
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Thunder, if I were you, I would just drop 1 tooth in the front and still use your stock chain, or if you want you can probally go up 2 in the rear INSTEAD of going down in the front and keep your stock chain. I wouldn't gear it much more than that. If you go too much your rpms will be really high. You have a 954, so wheeling it is not a problem. It just takes practice. Like Hoopty said, go to his school so he can give you some pointers. It's all about practice and patience. You will get it.

CBRChick
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Thunder, if I were you, I would just drop 1 tooth in the front and still use your stock chain, or if you want you can probally go up 2 in the rear INSTEAD of going down in the front and keep your stock chain. I wouldn't gear it much more than that. If you go too much your rpms will be really high. You have a 954, so wheeling it is not a problem. It just takes practice. Like Hoopty said, go to his school so he can give you some pointers. It's all about practice and patience. You will get it.

:imwithstupid:

I totally agree! The most you would ever need to do in terms of gearing, I think, would be one down in the front. A few guys up in Ft. Collins I know have 954s, completely stock, and they wheelie the crap out of those things! You really should have no problem wheeling your 954 .. it's all about getting comfortable and taking your time ... not just reving it to 10 grand in first and dumping the clutch :D

Not like I know too much about wheeling, cuz I can't even do them! I mean, my bike is one down in the front, four up in the back with the 520 conversion! I think I'm just a pansy and I need to get some courage to clutch it or bounce or whatever I need to do! So, I think this saturday will be a great day to learn how to wheelie ... at least grasp the concepts of the one wheelness :D

Khalid 171
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Geez, CBRChick13..1 down and 4 up.. :shock: :o That is alot. Quit being a pansey and bounce that thing up in 2nd at like 35mph. :D :lol:

Anonymous
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
just reving it to 10 grand in first and dumping the clutch :D
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/avitars/Loopty.gif
:lol:

Khalid 171
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 07:41 PM
:lol: :lol: OWNED!!

KooLaid
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM
I did that before accidentally, just wanted a HARD launch from a slow rolling start, and I ended have the boys meet my throat when the tank slammed into my groin! All throttle wheelies for me! All stock gears!

thunderseye
Mon Mar 8th, 2004, 08:31 PM
nah no clutching for me don't wanna ruin the clutch. i think i was just hitting the wrong rpms if i drop down to 4 and punch i was able to get it up i think i just need more practice and to get more comfortable i really don't wanna pull a hoopty

Hoopty
Tue Mar 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM
but next question how do you keep from coming down so hard other then just keep on the gas?

Just like you said, you need to keep on the gas if you want to save your nutz. Don't just "chop" the throttle when you let it down, EASE off the throttle. Your ballz and fork seals will thank you. :)

Hoopty
Tue Mar 9th, 2004, 09:21 AM
just reving it to 10 grand in first and dumping the clutch :D
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/avitars/Loopty.gif
:lol:

That was more than 10 grand. :oops: It's kind of hard to get a good launch on a 600cc 4 when you're used to a 650 twin! :slap: :lol: