PDA

View Full Version : CO Power Sports (in Thornton)

TommyTheKid
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I didn't actually end up buying my first bike there, but thought I would post my thoughts and see if anyone else concurred. Their sales staff seemed friendly enough, and pointed me to the bike that I eventually bought, after scouring the Internet about it of course.

One problem I had was selection, they only had one V-Strom, the silver 06 DL-650. I have owned a silver pickup before, and it felt like people were ALWAYS pulling out in front of me or whatever, so I decided I don't want that in a bike. Being somewhat "invisable" is sometimes nice, but not in a vehicle that already has a size disadvantage IMO.

Also, it didn't seem like they were even willing to budge from MSRP on the price, even though the 2007's should have been coming out soon. My friend told me he liked the Boulder store better, but I found one used from a guy down in the Denver area, and didn't really want a "brand new" bike for my first one anyhow. Maybe it comes from working in the computer industry, where the "no one really pays retail (MSRP)" or never having had to "negotiate" with a dealership before (we get X-plan with Ford). I was sortof unimpressed with their wilingness to budge on the price.

Is this normal? Am I crazy? (don't answer that one)

Tommy

Bassil Duwaik
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM
guy was being an ass...kill him

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
CO PowerSports sucks the BIG 1.

Devaclis
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I have purchased 30-32 ish bikes there. Never had a bad experience

swademaster
Mon Oct 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
CO PowerSports sucks the BIG 1.
:imwithstupid:

Troma
Tue Oct 10th, 2006, 01:06 AM
if they wont budge on an 06' when 07's are right around the corner..... keep looking, and then go back and see, I would go to this one shop, for over a year, many times, and finally when I was ready, they said, we will give you a deal since you came in here so many times....I was not in a hurry to buy, and they knew it, and when I was ready, they were ready

BlueDevil
Tue Oct 10th, 2006, 08:16 AM
A brand new model yes they wond budge and dont have to really. If U wont pay retail 10 people behind u will...but if its not a new model and the bike is about to have a new model out.. Usually U will get a deal. Nearing winter bikes wont fly off the shelves yet until they new ones arrive ... So usually U will get a deal, but not on the 1st inquiry... If they gave a deal right off the bat, then they give up the person that will pay full retail... Unfortunately if they wont budge at all, another dealer will... Then they get your business.....

Devaclis: U dont have any hassle cause U have bought 30+ bikes there....... haha

N1KSS1KS1x
Tue Oct 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
They didn't seem to have alot of anything when I went there

DevilsTonic
Tue Oct 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I bought my R1 from them last fall, the sales guy gave me a good deal, and their service dept has been good too, except they over-filled my oil a bit last time I took my Raven in for service.

The Joker
Thu Oct 12th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I went to Colorado Power Sports to buy engine oil and antifreeze for my bike. Not knowing exactly how much antifreeze my bike would take (the maintenance manual contradicts itself, and is sort of confusing), I asked the guy at the service desk how much antifreeze I would need. He reponded by saying fill it till it's full. Right then and there I realized I was dealing with an asshole! I told him I needed to know how much antifreeze to buy, especially at $8.99 a quart!!! He went back to the service manuals he had behind the counter and started whistling as he leafed through the pages (further confirming my earlier suspicions). I looked at the guy who was behind me and said, "I don't know why I come to this place". He responded by saying, "I don't Know if I will ever come back here again". Finally this nob went back to the shop (which he could have done 10 minutes ago) to ask a tech how much fluid I needed. After all this BS I still wound up bringing back a quart of antifreeze I didn't need. I spent $100+ that day on fluids, but the impression I get is that if your not there to spend $10,000+ they don't want to be bothered with you. They are not there to share your love of the sport, they are just there because they want your money, but golly do you have to make it so god damn obvious!!!

1ofTheBoys
Thu Oct 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM
I usually deal with the guys at CO Power Sports in Boulder. They take good care of me and the people I have sent up there. I have bought several bikes from them and most of my parts. Their selection is decent but if they don't have it they will check their other stores for you.

seven
Thu Oct 12th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I bought my bike at the Thornton CO Power Sports in July. I didn't think they were too bad to deal with, except they wouldn't hold the bike for a day, other dealers would. My bike was used, so they were willing to negotiate a bit on it. I bought quite a bit of gear at the same time and they were really helpful, helping me find a good fitting helmet, etc. Overall, a good experience. I agree that there's not a lot of selection, they just happened to have what I wanted.

EVO8
Tue Oct 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM
The parts department has been very helpful when I go there to purchase items. Sales people seem very cool too but I've never bought a bike there or had service done there. Hopefully if and when I do a motorcycle purchase or service there, my experience will be good as the parts department.

denverbusa
Wed Oct 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I drive all over the city and state every day doing service calls. I am in the service industry and have been for more that 25 years. When I am near a dealership or shop I love to sneak in and see whats up with both the sales reps and the service depts. I have found that most all stores have good and bad reps. At the same store I have had a guy tell me "what you see is what we got" then go get himself a soda and another rep give me a hand trying on coats, fitting helmets even pulling the gloves out of the wrappers for me to try on and put them back into those little pain in the ass plastic envelopes. Stores are usually pretty empty when I go or I don't bother the sales reps and let them help paying customers.

As far as a good deal on a bike you need to build a relationship with a sales rep / dealership to find someone who can relate to you and visa versa, otherwise it's just pot luck on what kind a deal you can get. If you walk in blind from the street you probably wont get the best deal unless you really work them.

My opinions:
Performance has the best customer service on all the goodies. You just have to know who to ask.
Grand Prix has the nicest store. The girls love to go there and play a little shuffleboard or pool while I look around and hassle the staff. That means they are not tugging at the arm to leave, I like that.
I now like going into Fay Meyers as they have some guys that seem to be on the same page but I still have doubts about mgmt where sales decisions come from. At least they let me stand there and oggle that August MV Senna. :hump: I just know one of these days they will let me take it out for a test ride. :wait: :rolleyes:

Of coarse with my opinion and two bucks you can get a good cup of coffee:)

Airreed
Wed Oct 18th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I have to agree with denverbusa about Performance, they always greet you with a smile and will help in anyway they can, too bad they don't sell bikes....oh and there prices are some of if not the most competitive in the area.

Pachuco
Thu Oct 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM
CO Powersports in Thornton sucks. the one in Boulder is better. I have taken my bike to to both. I stopped taking it to the one in Thornton because of the service. I have talked to the guys in Boulder about the other store and they told me they hear that a lot. :dunno:

R1deOrDie
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I bought my Waverunners and my Raven from them. They do have a few turds in the punchbowl up there, but if you know the right people, then they will do you good.

Service has always been cool along with them holding stuff for me if I needed to. Parts seems to be the worst. If you get stuck with a newb, then you get the ol rear entry.....:hump: :hump:

Minex
Mon Dec 4th, 2006, 10:55 AM
For the record, I will not deal with the CO Power Sports in Thornton at all -- at least the service guys. I had them replace a set of brakes on my bike last summer which lasted only >2,000< miles. For the record, my stock brakes lasted over 20,000. It was around the 22,000 mark that I noticed the rotors were scratching because the brake pads they installed were utterly gone.

I went in to complain about this and the service manager blamed it on my riding skills, which didn't make sense since I got over 20,000 out of the first set of brakes. He didn't want to have anything to do with me and even kicked me out of the store after we started to argue. This surprised me because, for one, I wanted to get to the bottom of the issue. If there was something wrong with my bike, I needed to know. 2k on a set of brakes doesn't make sense -- especially since my first set lasted 10 times as long.

I ended up going to several other shops for their opinion and the only suggestion was to use the same pads that came with the bike. I took that advice and recently passed 35,000 miles using those pads and still have plenty of space left.