PDA

View Full Version : Tune-Up ???

Knuckle Dragger
Wed Oct 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Okay so I am new to this sport bike scene and have some ? When I "service" my bike I do the following
Change Oil/Oil Filter
Clean K&N air filter
Change plugs
Grease the Chain (I use a grease that comes in a spray can that says chain lube)
Grease the zyotes (I know I mispelled this but it's the nipples)
Check the lights/Tire Pressure
Spray Carb cleaner in the carbs
Wash/Wax

What am I missing or doing wrong, I hear about valve lashing checks and such. My bike has been in storage for some years (military service). It ran like a champ this summer but I want to make sure I am doing everything I am suppose to. I like to know what is going on with my rides as I do all the service on my snowmobiles and vehicles (so I know how to work a wrench). Any help wpuld be great I am trying to find a shop manual for a 2000 Suzuki GSX-R 600 so any help would be apperciated.

BHeth
Wed Oct 18th, 2006, 12:23 PM
It's a good list. You may also consider:

Check steering head tension
Lube shock pivots
brain stopped working...

I flush and bleed my hydraulic system once a year and flush the coolant once a year.

Don't know how often you do this service, but you may want to be checking tire pressure and lubing your chain more often.

If you are doing this list frequently, cleaning the air filter and changing the plugs several times a year is probably overkill.

No-coast-punk
Wed Oct 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Make sure you lube the chain with that spray-can stuff every 300 miles as a rule of thumb. Or after it rains, etc.

Carb cleaner is pretty harsh stuff. If the bike gets ridden frequently and gas doesn't have time to varnish in the jets I would avoid using that stuff too much. It can cause problems if over-used. Carb cleaner is really meant for cleaning parts of a carb when you dis-assemble and re-build the things.

Changing the plugs any sooner than every 8,000 miles or so is overkill on most bikes. Some creatures need it. But those are few and far between.