PDA

View Full Version : What is your most embarrassing motorcycle story

Scruff Dog
Thu Oct 19th, 2006, 05:20 PM
A year ago, I was riding my Aprilia up and over Trail Ridge Road. As I was flying down the long and steep sections on the western side, I passed a few bicycle riders just before the road starts to tighten up. I didn't think anything of it, but when I glanced into my rearview mirror I saw that one of them was right on my tail. I sped up, he's right there. Hmmm, he's racing me.

In my own defence, there are a lot of very tight cornors on that section of road. But still, I can't let this guy pass me on his bicycle! I don't know how he was able to go so fast on that thing, but I was going way over my confort level. All I could think of was what a strange situation of peer pressure this was.

Mercifully, the road finally opened up and that was the end of it.

Bueller
Thu Oct 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM
When I was constantly getting passed SCR by a dirt bike with street tires on it. Finally caught and passed him but damn that bike was quick. :)

~Barn~
Thu Oct 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
When I was pulling away from The Breck on a little "test ride" on somebody's bike. Hoopty decided to come with, and as we were peeling out of our parking spots, Hoopty ate shit with everybody watching out the windows.

Yeah... that was probably the most embarassing.

Mac020
Thu Oct 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Showing off in front of several friends when I was in Junior High, I did a standing start wheelie . Forgot to unlock the handle bars. Made it about 30 ft. Before I crashed.:banghead:

FZRguy
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Back in the dark ages known as the 70's, we rode our dirt bikes to the riding areas. I was making time along the side of a golf course and hit a drainage ditch. The bike came to an abrupt stop…I didn’t. When I picked myself up, I noticed a couple of golfers laughing at me. Actually, it was pretty funny. And Scruff Dog, that was me on the bicycle that nearly passed your sorry ass. :lol:

BHeth
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM
A buddy did the MSF course and I took him to Cycle Central to look for his first bike. We went so he could check out an F3 and a YZF600 they had, but when we got there his eyes fell on a 900RR. Against my advice he decided to take it for a spin (his only other experiance was on the little dual sport at the class). 10 minutes passed. 15. I was getting nervous. We drove his car and he had the keys. Finally I asked the salesdude if I could borrow something and make sure he hadn't pasted himself. While I grabbed my gear he fired up this RC51. I hopped on, went to pull out and killed it. Fired it back up, gave it more throttle and killed it. Third time, no go. I'm looking the bike over, shaking my head, when the dude walks back over and says "why don't you try giving it some gas!" Anyway revving it to 4K finally made the pukey sucker get off the line. I felt like a noob, even though the bike was a turd. Found my buddy up the street pushing the 900RR back. The electrical failed. Go Honda.

Another time I had just finished working on my carbs to cure some decel popping. I was riding down the road getting on the gas then closing the throttle and listening for pops. Sounded good so I flipped a bitch at the next light and nailed the throttle to check the upper RPMs. I flew by this very gentlemanly chap on a VFR800 with the front wheel off the ground. This was unintentional as the bike had been very lean and didn't produce power wheelies before the carb work. I shifted into second, set the front down and slowed to the speed limit. Stopped at a red light, VFR guy pulls up next to me shaking his head. I felt like a fuckin' hooligan, totally ashamed that this dude thought I was trying to show him up or whatever, but the bike was running great!

The GECCO
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 08:15 AM
pulled up to park in front of one of the local hangouts up here about 10 years ago...I didn't notice the uneven crack in the pavement right where I pulled up....when I went to put the kickstand down it hit the edge of the crack and stopped (feeling like it was all the way down). I started to dismount and the bike fell over. What made it worse was that I tried to save it and ended up with my left leg pinned under the bike and the dozen or so spectators were too busy laughing to help me.

another time I arrived for work....we had a large warehouse type building with a smooth concrete floor. when I arrived the majority of my co workers were standing in a group so I decide to be a cool guy and park the bike with a boot-leg turn (lock the rear wheel and spin the bike around)...something we've all done a billion times on a dirt bike and I had even done a couple times on my Virago on the same smooth floor...with no one watching, of course....well, long story short, this time my execution was less than perfect and I ended up on my ass in front of everyone.

last one....while out riding my first sportbike I was on Peak to Peak (I think, may have been a different canyon...hard to remember) and going what I thought was pretty damn fast and thinking I'm cool.....until I get passed by a guy on a dual sport bike with big, square, stainless steel saddle bags hanging off of it. never found out who he was, but, whether he intended to or not, he put me in my place that day LoL

Devaclis
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I rode a Yamaha once. Embarrassed the hell out of me needless to say

rybo
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
For christmas this past year a friend decided to get his wife a Ducati Monster. We found "THE" bike around thanksgiving. A 2005 620 with only 1900 miles on it for a great price. It had been used to commute some, so it was a little dirty and needed some TLC. To preserve the secret we stored the bike in my garage and I spent a bunch of time cleaning it up and getting it ready for Christmas.

I had pulled the bike into the middle of my garage and started cleaining it up. There were some stubborn spots that required a bit of "agressive" cleaning. Forgetting that the floor in my garage sloped slightly, I parked the bike facing down the slope.

While cleaning the right side of the bike, I was scrubbing along pretty good when I pushed the bike right off it's side stand putting the famous "Monster" dent in the tank, bending an exhaust hanger, breaking off the clutch lever and damaging the switch gear.

What made it worse is that I sometimes prank about such things happening, so when I called my buddy to tell him what I'd done, he didn't believe me. It took well over 10 mins to convince him it was true. Needless to say, I covered the parts for the repairs and did the labor myself, but I was totally embarassed to have dropped someone's "new" bike before they even knew they had it.

S

BHeth
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Speaking of riding embarrassing bikes:

I bought an used 82 KZ750 when I was a kid. The old man that owned it had put ape hangers on. It was about a week before I could get to the boneyard to find some flat bars. The looks other riders give you, riding a UJM with ape hangers, still sticks in my mind. :eek:

spartikus
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I was at the intersection of Colorado Blvd and Mississippi waiting for the green light with my first sportbike when a beautiful police woman pulled up next to me I was trying to act cool and had my helmet off, was checking my cell phone, she smiled I smiled back and when the light turned green I had to try to put my helmet on quickly and move into traffic in doing so I lost my balance and the bike fell over, she was laughing as were most of the others as they pulled away I was left trying to pick the bike up by myself. I did manage to get it up and out of traffic however I learned never ever to take my helmet off at an intersection or do any other noob thing while in traffic.

Scruff Dog
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Back in the dark ages known as the 70's, we rode our dirt bikes to the riding areas. I was making time along the side of a golf course and hit a drainage ditch. The bike came to an abrupt stop…I didn’t. When I picked myself up, I noticed a couple of golfers laughing at me. Actually, it was pretty funny. And Scruff Dog, that was me on the bicycle that nearly passed your sorry ass. :lol:

So thats who it was. I didn't know anyone could haul ass like that on a bicycle. It was quite a sight, especially with that speedo you were wearing with part of the butt ripped out.

:) :) :)

PharmerKyle
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Every time I've been to the track has been the most embarrassing story I've ever had.

...Oh, and once I went on a ride with some guy named Brizz.

VFR
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Parked my bike on a downslope with a beautiful background. Went to take a picture of it and the wind slapped it over right before I hit the clicker. Was rolling and waited till I was 2 steps away and BAM...I pick it up and 2 seconds later a Harley guys rides up and says nice bike...On the left side...lol

Mel
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Ok, this will show how stupid I was, but anyways....was 18 and had been riding maybe 2-3 months. Meeting up with a big group of people (40-50) to go cruising late one night, and I was the last to show and decided, since I didn't know anyone, to show off and pull a wheelie past everyone. Did that, got the attention, pulled the bike in, took off helmet and shook out hair (had everyones attention at this point as I was the only girl there), got off the bike, realized shoe lace was tangled up in kickstand, tripped and fell on face. BRILLIANT! Needless to say, that is why riding boots are so much better (well, that, and not being an attention whore).

rybo
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Mel...

So far I think you're winning.....

Scruff Dog
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Wouldn't you just love to have video of all these different tip overs and fall on your face accidents.

The GECCO
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Ok, this will show how stupid I was, but anyways....was 18 and had been riding maybe 2-3 months. Meeting up with a big group of people (40-50) to go cruising late one night, and I was the last to show and decided, since I didn't know anyone, to show off and pull a wheelie past everyone. Did that, got the attention, pulled the bike in, took off helmet and shook out hair (had everyones attention at this point as I was the only girl there), got off the bike, realized shoe lace was tangled up in kickstand, tripped and fell on face. BRILLIANT! Needless to say, that is why riding boots are so much better (well, that, and not being an attention whore).

Well, I have to add a story, since this reminded me....Basically, I did the exact same thing (minus the wheelie). My shoelace caught on my heel guard as I pulled up to a stop at a red light and I fell over....I was about 4th in line in a group of about 30 bikes cruising in Fort Collins :cry:

The GECCO
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't you just love to have video of all these different tip overs and fall on your face accidents.

God, no....just remembering them is bad enough!

Mel
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM

FUCK NO! I still dread the times that I run into someone from my stupid days who starts the convo with "Hey, aren't you that chic who...."

suzinpink
Fri Oct 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I can't believe I'm telling this. Anyway, I have been riding since I was 5. Never just dropped a bike before(wrecked but not dropped).... BUT.... one day the girls and I go out on the town. I am the only one riding so I throw my high heels and skirt in one of the other girls car. When we get there I trade them out... We go into the place to party for a while and all decide to head to another club. I stood at the door waiting for the one girl who has my stuff in her car to walk aout. As it turns out she had already left with all my stuff to the next club. SO... in mini skirt and 4inch heels I drove to the next place. when I get there I go to put the stand down and misjudge because I have heels.... I go to get off and BOOM!!!! the bike falls to the left. Everyone runs over to lift my bike cuz I got the "I can't believe I just fuck'n did that" expression on my face and don't move. I rant and rave at the girl for taking off with my shit and she appologizes. That's not bad enough... cuz the next week we show up to the same club. I park my bike and as I walk in the bouncer says.. "hey it's the chick who drops her bike!" I told him the whole heel thing...blah blah blah. when we leave everyone comes out and says..."hey...we're watching to see if you do it again!" "ha ha" i say.....get on and try to turn the bike downhill....before I'm in gear.... and you guess it....sigh. That, my dear friends is embarassment.

Mac020
Sat Oct 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM
I was riding home to the Springs on my Ducati (996s) from Montrose and I stopped in Hartsel to get some bad food. Anyway, the place was full of 1 percenters and they were all sitting out on the deck overlooking the road. I got my samich ate it, and took off. As I started to go back on to the road, the bike made a cough and stalled just as I was turning. I held the bike up for as long as I could but dropped it on the low side. Jumped off, picked it back up, hopped back on and took off. I just know they were laughing their asses off.

FZRguy
Sat Oct 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
I raced MX in my teen years and always seemed to get a bad start. Not this day. Pulled the best hole-shot of my life, a good two bike lengths on everyone…and promptly shifted into neutral. The field literally ran over me. Another bike ended up on top of me and the chain nearly ripped my leathers off. I had jeans on underneath so I didn’t get hurt and actually raced the next moto in my jeans…and I started in second gear!

Husky
Sat Oct 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
One of my first jobs was working as a shop boy for RINK A DINKS Yamaha in lakewood, pushing brooms, washing bikes etc. They use to store their bikes on the second level which had a steep metal ramp.

One day I was asked to bring down a Flat Track Race Bike, noticing that all the mechanics and sales guys were gathinering outside, I just figured that this must be some hell of a bike, not knowing at that time that Flat Track Bikes had no brakes, I sooned learned why everyone gathered outside to watch me ride down the ramp. :banghead:

Sortarican
Wed Nov 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM

1) Going to Brek's for my first CSC happy hour (on my Sportster) and a block away my master link disassembles on me. Couldn't find the link clip so I limped it in, parked in line with about 30 crotch-rockets. Snuck in and asked Dana to borrow the hawk. He asks why, I tell him in hushed voice what happened, and proceeds to holler out something like "What? Your Harley fell apart again!".
Needless to say when I got back with another master link a couple dozen people all stood there on the ramp in front of Brek's and snickered at the knuckle dragger roadside repair.:banghead:

2) Riding Dana's Hawk I got passed by an 8 year old on a weed-whacker equiped skateboard. :cry:

Devaclis
Wed Nov 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
My bike was not built for fat people. It carries me around just fine :)

Suki
Wed Nov 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
ahh the fizzer....

1st embarassing moment on the fizzer. Go to Marauders house to check out the bike, never ridden a bike at all except for in the MSF course. so he brings the bike out, down the driveway and parks it for me. i take it out for a little ride around the block, trying to remember what to do and bring it back. now for some reason, which i have no idea of why, but i drive past J and his neighbors and instead of just stopping and parking it there i think that i should park it on the drive way which is alittle hill. so i pull up, hold the front brake, and because i'm on a hill and i'm short and apparently retardid that day, i can't get good footing and lose my balance and the bike starts to go down. I screamed OH SHIT THE BIKE'S FALLING and jeremy and his neighbors come running over just in time to see it go down. lol, that was so dam embarassing, i felt like such a jerk.

2nd, i go out for a ride one day and come home. our neighbors at our old place had bikes, and so i get home and they are all outside. i slow down to ride the bike up onto the curb, but i slow down and end up getting stuck and can't get the bike up over a freakin curb!! to make it worse i have my helmet on and visor down, i'm burning up from embarassment and to afraid to use one hand to lift the visor and all the while i'm reving the shit outta the bike and trying to get the bike up. finally the neighbor comes over and asks if i need help, to embarassed to say yes, i tell him no that ihave to figure it out sooner or later. finally get the bike up, after that i stopped trying to get up the curb going head on and instead went at a slant.

3. After replacing the battery in the FZR and getting her up and running. i decide that i want to go out for a ride or i think i was going to my sisters to help move or something. anyways, so i go out to the bike, turn the key and try and start it. nothing. that's odd. try again, nothing. hmmm the red button thing is set to run, oh! the kickstand! so i get on the bike, put up the kickstand, start.. nothing. well fuckin A! start cursing and fuming and try again and again, nothing. So i call Alan (this is right around when we first started dating) and was raging on about how i just got the bike running finally and now after new batteries and a fuse it doesn't do shit! so, he comes all the way over to my house (he was in aurora i was in thornton) puts the key in, turns it on, then he does this clever little thing with his foot and the gear shifter thing and VOILA, it starts!! THE DAMN THING WASN'T IN NUETRAL!!!!!! i'm an idiot.

Sortarican
Thu Nov 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
My bike was not built for fat people. It carries me around just fine :)

Does this Honda make my ass look big?

Mac020
Fri Nov 17th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Got caught waving back to a pack of scooter riders!

DevilsTonic
Fri Nov 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Nothing says embarrassment like riding a Honda! ;)

Mel
Fri Nov 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Except riding the Honda because your Harley sucks worse :D

Suki
Fri Nov 17th, 2006, 02:01 PM

:imwithstupid: :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
"What is your most embarrassing motorcycle story"

....the last time I was seen riding with Scruff dog.....:lol: J/K!

Probably the time I was going through the park (local hangout) on the gas one night on Friday the 13th (no shit) when my buddy jumps out from behind a tree in front of me and tries to wave me down. There was always sand all over there from the dirtbikes and I hit a patch of it trying to slow down and talk to him, and the front washed out. Threw me down, pinned me under it, and we slid for what seemed like forever in a shower of sparks....right in front of everyone.

Got a better story about someone else. The guy in the above-story was always known for doing stoopid shit while riding. Anyways, he's going thru the same park on sunny day. Showing off, doing a wheelie. Notices he's drifting over towards the parked cars. Drops the font down and tries to turn/stop and slams into the back of a parked car. This pudgy friend of mine weighs about 300lbs mind you. H does a complete flip over the car, and lands unhurt on his feet in front of them. 4 very-stoned, very-SURPRISED dudes come stumbling out in a cloud of smoke like Fast Times going "dooood are you alright?!?!". Unfortunately, I didn't actually get to see that one, but heard ALL about it. It was legendary!

Mac020
Fri Nov 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM
After riding thru South Park as fast as we could go, my buddy on a Norton 850 Commando pulls up the the stop at 285 and forgot to put his feet down.
I almost ran over him cause I was laughing so hard! He said his legs had gon to sleep. I think he just forgot to put them down!

Another time I was at a bar and this guy was showing off and reving the stuffing out of his Kwaker. He was reving the engine and dumped the clutch. The bike launched itself without him in to the middle of the street. He had forgotten to sit down! The bike made it all the way across the road without hitting anything. Gawd that was funny!

Crissy~R6~
Sat Nov 25th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Most embarrassing, aside from owning a suzuki, I dropped it a few times but the most embarrassing time was dropping it in the hooters parking lot. I hope by now I have gotten that out of my system.

mtnairlover
Sat Nov 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Mel's shoelace incident just reminded me of one of my bonehead moves

bonehead move #1: So, I'm finishing up a ride with a couple of friends and find a parking lot to make a call to my kids. I'm in Boulder and find the Target parking lot. I find a nice empty area to park and take the helmet off, put the kickstand down and begin to swing my leg over the bike, but it abruptly stops at the grab rail and before I know it, my ass has hit the pavement. I'm laughing my ass off sitting on the ground looking up at my bike and realizing that my pants got caught up on the grab rail. I'm thinking, yeah, so I guess being tall still has its disadvantages.

bonehead move #2: I was having some riding withdrawls, so I get leviathin to go on a ride with me the day of the Halloween party. We meet up at the Conoco on hwy34 to go up the canyon. He's already there and parked behind the station where all the flies are swarming. So, after I finally make up my mind which way I wanna go, we get ready to take off. He starts his bike and puts his i-pod on and helmet. I get on my Zed after doning the gear and start her up and begin to back-pedal out of the lot. Now, let me set this up. I've back pedalled out of my garage ever since I've had a bike in it. I hop up on my bike and coast out, because of a slight slant in the drive and slowly turn the bike, so it's parallel with the street and then park it. So, I've done the back-pedalling for a while now. But, on this particular occasion, I'm going backwards and realizing that there's cars coming and going out of the station, I decide to turn my head whilst going backwards...my bike leans with me just a tad and then I decide to start turning while going backwards and before I know it, I've got this massively heavy hunk of metal pushing against my left leg as it and I start going down...crash! I'm on the ground dumbfounded and Ken's going..."what the hell happeded to you...one minute your in my mirror, the next you're on the ground!" Talk about freakin' embarrassing. Luckily for me, the crash didn't hurt anything on the bike that hadn't already been covered by insurance.

Dan Audette
Sat Nov 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Aaron, Jake & I do Peak to Peak and stop in Allens Park for brunch. There really isn't any parking around there
just find a spot off the highway & put crushed pop can
or something under your kickstand. We have a great time.
My Vmax is parked nose slightly uphill spanning
a small ditch. We all mount up, I back down the hill
to let Jake get by. Now I notice that my front tire is on
one side of the ditch, while the rear is on the other.
Now I'm on my tippy toes with no traction, can't go
forward, can't go backwards. Can't seem to get
the bike started or my feet on the controls. The place
is crowded, with patio seating. So now eveyone,
including my riding mates are laughing, while I do an "Austin Powers" in the narrow hallway manuaver.
1/2 inch forward, 1/2 backwards until I manage after 20-30 attempts to get the beast pointed so I can get out.
Well at least I didn't fall down.

Next was crashing in the exacty same spot twice.
2 months apart.
House turn @ Second Creek, CCW, there is a small
off camber spot I now call the "Dimple of death"

CBRSue
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 08:46 PM
When I was 15 and took (snuck) my boyfriend's Suzuki street bike for a quick ride with a girlfriend on the back. We were stopped at a left turn light at a major intersection with a police car facing us (at 15 I looked like I was 12). After I made the turn, the cops followed us and flipped on the lights. My friend was screaming, "Out run 'em, out run 'em!" My attempt failed as I was just learning to ride and my skills were lacking... :turtle: they were on my ass in 5 seconds flat. I pulled over. No license. But rather than giving me a ticket, they followed me to my boyfriend's house and wrote him a ticket for letting an unlicensed driver ride his bike. He was pissed, :cussing: but we still dated for another 4 years! :)

kiteserfer
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I'm in Nicaragua and need to run to the "supermercado", I put my helmet on and all of a sudden my girlfriend who is Nicaraguan, says she wants to come. She jumps on the back of my bike without her helmet. As we are riding a policeman starts yelling at me in Spanish. He is saying I was a terrible boyfriend and selfish for keeping the helmet for myself when I should do the chivalrous thing and give it to my "girlfriend". As I remove my helmet he realizes he has just made a huge mistake as we are both girls. the look on his face was incredible. FYI Nicaragua has a helmet law but get this, it is only required for the driver NOT the passenger. Go figure!!:banghead:

Duc'nnit
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Hmm, Lets see, in high school riding a CB450 trying to show off. Ended up getting beat on a straight a way by a 76 Mustang II. :scream1:

Snowman
Thu Dec 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
A girl, a bike and an airplane hanger…
I think I’ll leave the rest to your imaginations.

And no it didn’t work very well.

wulf
Thu Dec 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
We're cruising down speer near colfax headed home and i popped the clutch on my SV a little fast. Front end comes up about a foot, i set it back down and my headlight falls off. Had to ride home with it dangling from the wires.

Lomax
Thu Dec 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Again back in the 70's, I was riding my RD350 into Boulder up highway 93. It was a beautiful cold, rainy, snowy day and freezing out. What I did not realize was that my jeans (yes that was ATGATT in the day) were frozen solid and coated with about 1 inch of ice. When I hit the first light in Boulder I was unable to remove my foot from the pegs and pulled a laugh in, Just stopped and tipped over. DOH!

Marc