PDA

View Full Version : It felt good to ride today (even with a broken scapula)

Spiderman
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM
It's been way too long since I've ridden, frikken broken shoulder! :x

Leah & I took a run up Boulder Canyon to Nederland & back this evening. Fortunately, traffic wasn't too bad. Got to Nederland just as it was getting dark, :cold: had some coffee to warm up, then rode back down and grabbed a bite in Boulder before heading home. Despite being a little sore, it felt great to get out and ride!

Thanks MJ! :rock:

rybo
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 06:53 AM
RIGHT ON!

Glad to hear you had a great ride, probably the last one this week as the weather is supposed to go all "winter-like" in the next few days.

S

DevilDuc
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM
It's good to hear that you are up and riding after being down for an injury ...

How was the road condition out that way? I am new here and I was thinking of hitting that area this weekend if the weather is nice enough.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Well technically I'm still down from the injury :| - the orthopedic surgeon said I shouldn't be riding before Nov. 7th, which is 6 weeks after the original injury, but only 4 weeks after aggrivating/activating it at Hastings. :oops:

There was some sand (mostly along the edge of the road and/or middle, but there were a couple of spots with it right in the middle of the lane), and a bit of water (snow melting) running across the road mid-corner, but being injured, I wasn't trying to set any canyon-run speed records, so it wasn't really an issue for us. I got a bit sideways on the way down (in the dark) when I hit some sand in the middle of the lane, but not too bad.

Just be careful - it's not the time (of year) or place (street vs. track) to be pushing it, but it's a beautiful ride, especially if you can do it with little or no traffic to impede your flow. ;)

V-Twin Villain
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Congrats on your ride. I guess I'm not the only one who can't follow doctor's orders. How was the pain, if any? I have been itching to ride for weeks. It's soooo mad that I had to tear my bike apart. I almost feel like a lost my life since my injury (broken collarbone). On the upside, my new parts should be here today, and I'm looking forward to getting my scooter back to good. I might push a ride after 4 weeks, or if I can reach my Ape Hangars on the Harley, which ever comes first.

Spiderman
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 08:47 AM
The pain was not too bad... bearable, but a little more than usual. I would notice it more when stopped - it didn't really bother me while riding, although I was kinda babying it (took my hand completely off the throttle when I went over some train tracks). I probably would have been in a lot of pain if I had to do a panic stop. As for how this relates to you, I dunno how a broken collarbone compares to a broken scapula. :dunno:

If it feels good, do it. If it hurts to much, stop. :lol:

V-Twin Villain
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM
The injuries are close, how ever I can't retate my arm up passed mid chest, and the bones move if I have to push hard on anything. A couple of weeks...I hope the snow comes tonight.

Are they going to do surgury on you?

Spiderman
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Nope, no surgery for me. The scapula is sandwiched between two sets of muscles, which basically hold it in place. 8)

When my injury was fresh, I had trouble lifting my arm up (any resistance applied to the muscle caused pain in the muscle itself, not at the break). Now that it's healing, I have almost full mobility with only a little discomfort (but still can't push, pull, or lift anything).

suzinpink
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM
The injuries are close, how ever I can't retate my arm up passed mid chest, and the bones move if I have to push hard on anything. A couple of weeks...I hope the snow comes tonight.

Are they going to do surgury on you?

Sooooo wrong.... Jeeze Craig.... try'n to spoil it for the rest of us....?:321:
You know I love ya!

V-Twin Villain
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I know....

House
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Are the roads up there full of gravel?

Nick_Ninja
Wed Oct 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Are the roads up there full of gravel?

They will be after tonight :cry:

GoFaster
Sat Oct 28th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I just came back from running Lefthand to P2P and back down Boulder Canyon. There is some gravel on the roads but it is quite ridable. Definitely watch it in the corners and dress a little warmer than usual since it was chilly up on P2P (blowing snow in places but not enough to cause a problem).

FZRguy
Sat Oct 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I dunno how a broken collarbone compares to a broken scapula. :dunno:

They both suck....!!!!!