PDA

View Full Version : need fork seals redone

thunderseye
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM
ok haven't heard to much on this but i'll try again. does anyone here know and is capable of helping me change my fork seals they are blown. theres a 6 pack of beer in it for your time

MattTLS
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Do you have a service manual for the bike? I only do seals if I know the specified torques, volumes, etc. If so, I'm sure I've got all the required tools -- but I'm in Fort Collins.

Matthew

thunderseye
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 11:15 PM
yeah i have the whole service and repair manual on cd rom. i just print the pages i need

MattTLS
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Okay, would you be able to bring just the fork legs to me, or would you ride here? Either works -- however, obviously it would be quicker for me if you can bring just the forks.

You'll need the seals, fork oil, and the related service manual pages. In fact, it'd probably be a good idea to bring the CD manual as well. One other thing, if the bushings are bad, I'd highly recommend replacing them at this time, too. How many miles are on the bike anyway?

Next up is figuring a time to do this. I normally work Monday through Saturday and sometimes Sunday, but I'm willing to work with you here.

One last thing, I need to fix my solvent tank before we can do the work, but that shouldn't take long.

Matthew

thunderseye
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 06:59 PM
i would have to ride up there lol never taken the forks off and i don't have a way to hold up the bike to take them off. i'll see when my wife has another day off like a sunday or saturday and let ya know and see if it works then i'll get all the parts will that work?

KooLaid
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Boy, you ft. collins guys sure are friendly with helping on the bikes! I mean alex hooked it up with the right peg on my bike AND helped me fix my flat I got on the way to his house. And he's willing to help out with my fork rebuild and rear shock! Wooowza!

thunderseye
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 08:16 PM
yeah you guys kick a@@ thats probably the only thing about this state i'm gonna miss when ever the time comes to pcs to another base this csc rocks no other place has a club this big and this together always helping eachother and hanging out its great

MattTLS
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 10:04 PM
i would have to ride up there lol never taken the forks off and i don't have a way to hold up the bike to take them off. i'll see when my wife has another day off like a sunday or saturday and let ya know and see if it works then i'll get all the parts will that work?

Not a problem. Just give me some heads up at least a few days in advance.

One thing I didn't think to ask -- what type of head does the front axle have? I know some of the newer bikes have really big allens, and I only have the more common sizes up to 19mm I believe. If it needs a hex head socket, I've got it covered, but otherwise I may need to invest in new tools :) .

Matthew

thunderseye
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 04:41 AM
i've got all kinds of allens i'll try to bring over every possible one it could take that i have anyway ill check that to and let ya know. thanks again