PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Helmet

HDave
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I have an Aria RX7 and it get pretty noisy when going over 65 or so. Over 100 its deafening.

If you have one of these, let me know if you think so too.

Is it a bad idea to wear ear plugs?

Thoughts & Ideas welcome.

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 07:17 PM
hdave wrote:

No. Not at all. I have read studies that stated that the sound decibels over 55mph cause irreversable inner ear damage. I wear an ear plug in one ear and the radar ear piece in the other. :D :lol: 8)

CBRChick
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I have an Aria RX7 and it get pretty noisy when going over 65 or so. Over 100 its deafening.

If you have one of these, let me know if you think so too.

Thoughts & Ideas welcome.

I have an Arai Astral and it does get pretty noisy ... but my pipe is so loud that I don't even really notice the wind noise. But wearing ear plugs is never a bad thing ... esp. if you are going on a long road trip. They can definitely save your hearing like Nick_Ninja said. I probably should start wearing them :D

scot
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I've never worn earplugs, I might start, but my HJC CL-12 isn't really that loud.

Where did you get your radar detector?

HDave
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I am all over the ear plugs. My ears were ringin this afternoon after a 3 hour high speed ride.

Thanks for your opinions! Much appreciated.

Look forward to meeting up with you one day.

HD

Nick_Ninja
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Scot wrote:

Where did you get your radar detector?

On line. There are many out there. I have a AA battery powered BEL but Valentine and Passport are there too.

Wahooman
Sat Mar 13th, 2004, 11:02 PM
I probably should start wearing them

Huh...what did ya say, speak up girl!! :lol: :lol:

Rick T.
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM
I have custom-fit ear plugs (AF issue) as well as the standard foam type. These are great for long trips. I usually don't wear them because my helmets are pretty quiet...

KooLaid
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM
my Rx-7 SCREAMS, whistling loud at any 45 mph+ pace with the visor up.

HDave
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I wore my ear plugs on my ride today - It's a whole dofferent experience. Holy Crap - so quiet it was almost spooky. I didnt realizy how much I adjusted my riding position due to noise till I got rid of the noise. And my ears dont ring when I'm done either....how great is that?

Thanks to all for heloing me see the light. :idea:

KooLaid
Sun Mar 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM
I LOVE riding with my ear plugs on long rides and long rides with constant speeds.

Anonymous
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I always ride with ear plugs - didn't used to, but have been for the past couple of years now & I really appreciate the lack of ringing after a long ride. It also helps reduce fatigue and allows you to concentrate more on the road (highly recommended for track days & racing!!!).

:up:

Hoopty
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 11:02 AM
:imwithstupid: I find it very relaxing riding with earplugs, you don't pay as much attention to road noise etc... On long trips, I don't leave home without them. It is amazing the difference you feel after a days riding with and a days riding without. :shock: I seriously feel less drained at the end of the day if I use them. :)

scot
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Could wind possibly affect your balance by messing with your inner ear, or not? Just curious..

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:12 PM
wind or ear plugs? wind = yes earplugs = no

Dysco
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I was so dizzy I fell down after a 200 mile run w/o earplugs during a 1200 mile ride. I try to wear them everywhere I go over 5 miles. That and my studs are so noisy drivers I'm passing turn their head to see what monster truck is about to pass them :twisted:

yoda
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:27 PM
I wear an ear plug in one ear and the radar ear piece in the other. :D :lol: 8)[/quote]

is there any place local to get one because i do not like getting things over the internet. :dunno:

Nick_Ninja
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah --- Circut City

yoda
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 04:42 PM
what is the general price range for a good one. :? :? :?

EliR6
Thu Mar 25th, 2004, 08:01 AM
The Rx-7 is probalby the noisiest helmet you can get. It's an awesome helmet, but they're certainly not concerned with getting rid of the wind noise.

I ALWAYS ride with ear plugs. You can hear the things that matter even better WITH them, like horns, sirens, engine noise, etc. I'm surprised more of you don't. I remember the first time I rode with ear plugs in, I immediately noticed how much more relaxed I was on the bike. It really does make a huge difference.

Eli

crazy irishman
Sun Apr 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Ok first question are you wearing the right size helmet?

Second why the hell are you riding with your visor open?

Third how can you hear other traffic/compettitors with earplugs?

I wear an RX-7 and I find it is a little louder but it is also the best ventalating helmet I have ever owned. I do not have any problems even at 160+ with unbearable loudness. I also like to hear when a person gets closer to try to pass me. I do not feel at one with bike if I can not hear the engine rapping out . :vamp:

Sean "Deofol" Miller
Crazy Irishman Racing
#560 MRA

bulldog
Mon Apr 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I've been slacking lately on wearing earplugs and I think my hearing has got worse :cry:

Kawi250
Thu Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:23 AM
I have the RX7 as well and find it so noisy that I do wear ear pulgs. It helps alot. My ears dont hurt after I get off the bike.