PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Repair - You vs. the Dealership - Arm Yourself

Anonymous
Mon Mar 15th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Ever heard this from the service manager (or know someone that has): "Well, anyway, you've modified the bike and that voids your warranty. We can open it up and see what's wrong, but we're going to charge you for that. And if we find something wrong, it won't be covered under warranty." ?

Well, they're not being truthful (either they're lying, or they don't know better), and now you have ammunition to help you win your case. If you have the April '04 issue of Sport rider, on page 88 there's an interesting article about the laws that govern warranties. It gives an overview of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which basically (and this is a very crude summary of a 2-page article - please read all the details in the link below) says that a dealership (as a representative of the manufacturer) must investigate each warranty claim, and only if they can prove that an aftermarket modification caused the problem, can they deny warranty repair (ie: a slip-on exhaust will not cause a cam-tensioner to fail :roll: ).

I was hoping that the article would be available on the Sport Rider website (http://www.sportrider.com/), but at this time, they only have links to information about the Magnuson-Moss Warrenty Act - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm.

jontflesh
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM
You should hear about my battle with Excel and Suzuki of America regarding the numerous probs with the auto CCT that failed about 5 times in my bike :lol:
My story was actually in that sportrider website along with another guy name Jonathan Moos who's engine actually siezed and he had to goto the hosital.

jontflesh
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Ahhh here we go, found it on a website that archives tons of websites
http://web.archive.org/web/20010413221824/http://www.sportbikeusa.com/Articles/recalls.html

Mae
Sat Aug 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
good to know!
(dern spammers tho grrr)

I was wondering about this especially since I have the fully cover maintenance package on my bike that also includes the warranty and beyond.

kevplus2
Sat Aug 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
and the warranty laws cover cars as well

so they have to prove the 4" lift caused your jeep hard top to crack at the seam

(hard to believe i even had to have that conversation in the first place)

Chadilac
Sat Aug 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
What kind of shop would turn away the opportunity for good warranty claim $$$? :dunno:

We love warranty $$$ because it spends the same as cash. Sure it takes a bit more administrative know how and resources, but the fact remains this is currency that does not have to come out of our clients pocket.

If anyone has a Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia, Vespa, Guzzi or Piaggio with a problem; bring it in...We'll see if the bike or scoot is in warranty and do all the work.

Having said that, the OEM does have the right to see the defective part and/or inspect the bike. Dealers do have to protect themselves from potentially "eating" warranty work that may be rejected upon inspection from the OEM.

We only charge our clients an "Inspect and Report" if the warranty claim is denied. The client should always approve any work that has to come out of pocket.

You should also ask your dealer to run a check on any potential Service Bulletins and Recalls on your specific VIN. This is a FREE service from our Dealership and should be for all.

Just business as usuall.

Moveman
Fri Sep 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah man ive heard that before I had a cam chain tenchioner go out with less than five thousand miles on the bike, so I took it in an when the service manager came out side to get the numbers off the bike that he needed to start the work order he saw that I had a crash cage as well as a few other after market goodies an right off the bat made the assumption that all I do with the bike is stunt an pull wheelies then he said that it probley would warrent denieing the warranty claim but he would have to check for me.. a few days latter the shop called an said that they would not be able to fix the bike under shop warranty.. So yeah Ive heard that before, ive also heard from a friend that if he puts after market cans on his new busa it will void his warranty.. so I guess it depends if its a factory warranty or a shop warranty...