PDA

View Full Version : Club Charity Ideas?

NineTwoFour
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 09:54 AM
In the Anti-Stunta thread, there are more than a few posts on what the CSC can do to either create positive publicity... or just be the good people that we are.

The Toys-4-tots ride was great, and the parade sounded like it went really well.

What do we do next?

I have one idea, but I am not sure how feasable it is.

A charity endurance race.

We can get out to all the dealers or motorcycle related buisness and get people to donate based on how many laps the rider/team competes in a set time race. I am sure we could get some news coverage, and would definitely be a totally sport-bike oriented event.

We would probably want the MRA involved, and the CMC would need to donate use of one of their tracks. Probably a bit too ambitious of an endeavor, but I think it sounds like a cool idea.

Let's hear some other ideas.

vtr1000rider
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM
I think if we are going to do an endurance ride then we should make it on of the IBA rides. Like the 1000 in 1.

BenDover
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 10:40 AM
It's a good idea, but it limits the event/participants to the track.

I was thinking a Poker Run would be a great way to raise some money. Do it for the Special Olympics or something. Start somewhere a little urban, go through a few canyons, and end in the same starting point. With stops (5 or seven) to pick one card. Then at the end whomever has the best hand wins a prize donated by someone. 8)

There could be lots of ways to raise money through this, have each member/participant find sposers for their ride, or donations, etc...

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I'll sticky this thread, great idea.

Regarding poker runs, unfortunately Bob and I (along with Harry and Hanna, when they were acting as ride coordinators) decided long ago that CSC will never produce a poker run. There are way too many liability issues associated with them - Performance Cycle hasn't done one in years, because they got the crap sued out of them by the family of a killed rider on the last one.

I think the endurance race is an interesting idea... We'd definitely want to involve local racers, I don't know how much the MRA would want to do this (it's a lot of work for an already-overworked staff). I'll see what I can research on this, and keep the ideas coming. It does limit it to people with track bikes, but what about this:
- Racebike owners/riders would form a team. CSC club members without the ability to ride their own, could work as pit crews on these teams.
- We get local businesses to sponsor the riders - this should be minimal or no cost to the people doing the riding, for this one race.
- We get this plastered all over the media
- Structure it like a pledge drive, i.e. people agree to pay X dollars for every lap you complete, or how you place in the race, or something to that effect

etc ... add onto this. I like this idea!

yoda
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 12:02 PM
i think it is a good idea to do something for charity. most people might not like this idea but think about it for a little bit before you just say no.
my idea is to take one day to ride border (co & wy) to border (co & nm) and just cruse the whole way there and back to denver or where every you live (not flying past the other traffic) and find someone or company or what ever to donate some money to a cherity based on how many miles we travel not going more than say five miles an hour over the limit or something like that to so people that we don't always have the throttle wide open. just an idea :) :) :)

NineTwoFour
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Re: the race.

- If we split ourselves into about a dozen "teams" with a certain number of riders, some pit crew, and everyone else on the team getting pledges and doing promotion... then everyone can be involved in the fun. And have some sort of prize, or an Honorary Title for the members of the team that raises the most money.

- Free admission tickets to the race for those who want to pledge money to the teams. A small "donation" at the gate for anybody who just wants to spectate. Advertise the hell out of it, perhaps we can get some free media coverage... television or newspaper.

- Definitely want to find sponsors who will help defray the cost to the racers. Maybe we could hit up one of the tire manufacturers directly???

Wow, I was just kinda throwing that idea out... didn't really think that it would be possible. Now I am starting to think it could be. :up:

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm one of a few who have been really trying to get a real Endurance race to Colorado... Perhaps this is a good kick in the right direction!

I don't want to volunteer anyone, but I do know that Stan is a PR wiz, and Sharon does *awesome* graphics work (i.e. media design).

I will donate the website space for this event along with the domain name, once a suitable catchy name is decided on.

Let's make it happen, this would be sweet!

Oh - so once we collect a billion dollars for charity, who do we donate it to?

Vance
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Oh - so once we collect a billion dollars for charity, who do we donate it to?

There has to be some sort of fund that supports injured riders - the AMA might be a resource that could help there, or ABATE... though they are political more than not.

Oh - and excellent idea. Hell - I'd be up for even trying to be a rider in something like this... well... if I have a bike by the time its put together.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Totally off-the-wall and possibly not viable due to liability issues, but:

In the same vein as "Riding for the Disabled", why not set up a morning at SCR where we'll take sick kids as passengers around the track at low speeds?

Vance
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM

In the same vein as "Riding for the Disabled", why not set up a morning at SCR where we'll take sick kids as passengers around the track at low speeds?

Sidecars... think sidecars! 8)

Seriously though --- I like that idea Hanna. Make-a-Wish foundation might be able to hook us up if there are any candidates who might have a strong desire to be out on the track once. That would make for (sorry - have to think marketing here) a DAMN touching "special interest" story for any TV station looking for a touchy-feely storyline.

Wahooman
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I like that....talk about getting a huge smile from a kid....there is not a better feeling ;)

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Sidecars... think sidecars! 8)

Seriously though --- I like that idea Hanna. Make-a-Wish foundation might be able to hook us up if there are any candidates who might have a strong desire to be out on the track once. That would make for (sorry - have to think marketing here) a DAMN touching "special interest" story for any TV station looking for a touchy-feely storyline.

I wasn't quite to the make-a-wish part yet, but as it happens my aunt is one of a couple people who does the actual coordination of "wishes" for sick kids. So for me to get them involved, is as simple as sending her an email. ;)

I'm working up a list of the ideas presented on this so far, I'll post it back here shortly and we can just keep it updated (I'll just edit my post as new stuff comes along).

Bertha
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Or do something for Children’s Hospital, raise money for them… What better way to spend your time and money??? By making a sick child happy, if they can get out to like SCR and watch how big of a smile do you think they would have?!?! And the parents would be happy to… Just an idea…

Bertha
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:18 PM
another idea...

The 24hrs at SCR... :)

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Or do something for Children’s Hospital, raise money for them… What better way to spend your time and money??? By making a sick child happy, if they can get out to like SCR and watch how big of a smile do you think they would have?!?! And the parents would be happy to… Just an idea…

Yeah, that's my thinking as well, since we already do a lot with that let's step it up a notch. Do we just want to give them an outlay of cash, or perhaps put this towards the wagon drive? :? This would tie in with the Make A Wish thing very nicely as well.

Bertha
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Yeah, that's my thinking as well, since we already do a lot with that let's step it up a notch. Do we just want to give them an outlay of cash, or perhaps put this towards the wagon drive? :? This would tie in with the Make A Wish thing very nicely as well.

hmm what ever works... That why I was thinking Children's Hostpital, CSC has done things with them before, and kids LOVE LOUD FAST things... Not to mention I'd rather have $$$ go to sick kids then anything else really... We all are so lucky to be healthy, some of these kids get a very hard start on life...

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Ok here is my running list of ideas so far, including some more stuff that rolled out as I was typing it:

- This would be a long endurance event. I.e. Counted in hours, I'm thinking 3 is about all we can really expect, though a full-day event would rock.

- Teams would be comprised of riders and crew. No rider would be permitted to ride more than one hour at a time, a minimum of 3 pittings would be required during the event. Transponders would track race placement (MRA to provide?)

- Other activities during this would include stunt shows, and rides for kids. What about some motard fun?

- Ties in with Make A Wish, Children's Hospital, what else?

- Heavy publicity with local and regional media i.e. TV, radio, etc. Maybe we could get Uncle Nasty to broadcast from the track for the event?

- Name ideas? "CSC Race For The Kids" or something, I dunno

- Businesses, in exchange for media exposure, would donate the costs of producing this. Includes the cost to the racers - I'd like to see each team given a flat-rate stipend to cover costs, say $500-750? This should handle fuel and tires I would think. Or give them a credit fund, so that the money is only used for the race. Anything they need is charged against that fund, any extra goes into the charity pot.

- Sponsors get in free. Everyone else pays a small entrance fee, which goes to charity.

- CSC members not riding can be involved with the crews if they choose (this would be a time commitment).

- Run this like a pledge thing, i.e. get businesses to donate based on how far a team goes (laps, placement, lap time, etc?)

- MRA should be involved but I do think this needs to showcase the CSC, i.e. street-sportbike riders doing quite a bit to give back to the community.

- Can we involve police/fire/EMS in a positive light? They do the "fill the boot" thing, why not a "fill the helmet" idea as well? We can park sportbikes in wide street medians (get police approval) and collect from drivers.

- Added: Charity bike wash during the endurance race?

- Added: Let's promote USE OF GEAR!!!

- Added by Sharon:
Another thought would be to drop off a flyer announcement and maybe a handful of tickets to the main police and fire departments to increase their interest as well.

I am also involved with a children's charity that works with severelly abused and neglected children....perhaps we could extend an invitation to them as well.

As far as people involved, let's get a running list of who you are and what you can contribute, I will make another list like the one above in this post as people step forward. For myself:
- I'll donate the website for this
- I can handle coordinating Make A Wish, obviously I have some strong ties to that organization
- I will be part of a team, TC confirmed to ride as well. Other riders TBD but probably includes Fleshy and maybe one more, plus we'll need a crew - volunteers welcome
- I will see if I can't get Nextel to donate the use of their phones (i.e. direct connect) for event communication, though I can't approach them until this is somewhat official (which it almost is at this point)
- I'm happy to take on the "event coordinator" duties, though we should really form a committee of some kind and give specific tasks to specific people so that this becomes a reality.

JMETZ:
- Volunteer pit bitch

Shacheri and Stan:
- Media/PR/graphics design/etc

Hanna:
- Colorado Youth At Risk

Wahoo:
- Involve local fire/police, etc

Rocky:
- Determine legal issues we need to overcome

Things needed (and I'll add to this as well):
- Can we get some stickers donated?
- Can SCR donate the use of the track for a Saturday? (Glenn or someone with good ties to Track Bob, can you see what he'd be willing to do? This is completely for charity after all...) EDIT as Sharon pointed out this is a CMC function. So, Glenn, make it so! :)
- Teams! We need teams to commit.
- Sponsors! We need companies to donate either product or money to buy products for the racers in this, and cover other things that will come up in the course of producing this.

I want to see the track filled with a couple hundred sick kids, and three times that many spectators, and I don't think that would be unreasonable. I don't know where we'll put 'em all, but with the right media exposure, it could happen.

jeaven
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I still like the charity bike wash idea... :D

Though, my vote for a charity will always be Childrens Hospital...

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I'll add this in, no reason we can't do that at SCR on the same day! :up:

Bertha
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Eh i'd be willing to help were ever... :)

shacheri
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM
great ideas everyone! you can count on Stan and I to help...

I really like the idea of the teams/pit crew where everyone can be involved...

We will need to coordinate a weekend day with the CMC, though.

Another thought would be to drop off a flyer announcement and maybe a handful of tickets to the main police and fire departments to increase their interest as well.

I am also involved with a children's charity that works with severelly abused and neglected children....perhaps we could extend an invitation to them as well.

:)

Jmetz
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I'd be down for being on a pit crew.

Hoopty
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM
You could be one of my pit bitches, Josh! :D

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM
great ideas everyone! you can count on Stan and I to help...

Great! That's what I was hopng for. :)

We will need to coordinate a weekend day with the CMC, though. Yeah, wasn't sure how that would work with SCR, but that makes sense. I'm trying to get Glenn to check this thread, since he's the man for that task.

Yup. My dad used to be a firefighter and I know one of our members here is one, so getting contacts at a station should be no problem. What about having a truck be brought out to the event where kids could see it, maybe sit inside and honk the air horns or something? Loud things, fast things, and fire trucks are what kids like best. (Hell, I still like those things!)

Sharon please PM me with some more info on the group, this is a great idea!!

Vance
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Like I said - if I've got a bike by the time this thing gets put together - count me in for a team rider. Maybe I can chat with IBM to sponser my happy (riding) ass for something like this.

Jmetz
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:36 PM
You could be one of my pit bitches, Josh! :D

Works for me.. Btw :idea: we should use the pregrid area for a pit lane.

NineTwoFour
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I think this could possibly be on the scale of some other major charity events. :up:

I am going to get some ideas from the charity coordinator for the City I work for. I am also going to get some ideas on what sort of liability we are going to be taking on. i.e. TAXES.

In order to do this on the scale we are talking about I think we will need a "not for profit" designation, or we will need to have a headlining charity who will handle all the money issues.

Is SCR in Adams County, or Denver? We will need a permit to hold an event such as this.

I am more than happy to look into regulatory hurdles that we will face.

surfinspacegirl
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Ralphy, I volunteer for Colorado Youth at Risk, we could get them involved too :D

Wahooman
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I have pretty good ties to Lafayette, lousiville, boulder, boulder county, weld, etc....fire departments, police departments, business bureaus, etc...
can work with getting info to them or whatever.

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Ralphy, I volunteer for Colorado Youth at Risk, we could get them involved too :D

Great!

Wahoo - good to know! When we get this a little more formal we can start getting the info out.

Rocky - yeah please find out what you can. I'm pretty sure SCR is in Adams Cty... Regarding handling of the funds, well, technically we will end up with a zero balance when it's all said and done so that may help with that. If someone knows a tax attorney who can tell us for sure, that would be very useful. I do know that CSC likely won't be forming any non-profit organizations in the forseeable future, but once my aunt gets back to me I can see if Make A Wish could help, or something. *shrug*

What do you all think about setting up a meeting within a week from now, where we can all sit down, brainstorm, and really get a good grasp for what we can all do?

And for a website to promote this, what do you think about 'raceforthekids.org'?

NineTwoFour
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I think an organizational meeting would be a great idea, just let me know if you want me to come and what information you would like me to gather in advance.

shacheri
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Ralph - you have PM

any night next week but thursday works for me.

it's very cool to see everyone galvanizing together for a good cause...

:up:

Anonymous
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
How about I get the back room at Brecks during the usual Wed night gathering on the 24th? I'm sure Ron wouldn't mind us using it for this... (he won't have wait staff in there, but that's fine.)

shacheri
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:33 PM
How about I get the back room at Brecks during the usual Wed night gathering on the 24th? I'm sure Ron wouldn't mind us using it for this... (he won't have wait staff in there, but that's fine.)

that's a great idea

I also like the website name

Wahooman
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:42 PM
And for a website to promote this, what do you think about 'raceforthekids.org'?

SWEET :up:

Hoopty
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 04:43 PM
What do you all think about setting up a meeting within a week from now, where we can all sit down, brainstorm, and really get a good grasp for what we can all do?

Just don't invite Bob to the brainstorming, you'll never get anything done!!! ;) :lol:

Bertha
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm down

Dietrich_R1
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM
How 'bout doing doing a ride for a fund-raiser. It would be Very High-Visibility, which is how this post got started. I'm sure you could get some police assistance (if wanted) also.

1) People could pledge per mile (i.e. 5 cents/mile), or could just give a lump sum. I believe this would have the best oppportunity to raise a hell-v-a-lot of $$$$.

2) I'm sure that a few companies would be more than extatic to have one of the stops at their doorstep. Possibly they could donate to the charity, door prizes, food.

3) For fun, you could even turn the stops into an internal poker run (The riders could donate $10.00 & that could get the door prizes).

Anyway, I'm jump'n off the pedestal. Good luck, it sounds like a really good idea.

Dietrich

Gramps
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 06:25 PM
i have been on the poker run bandwagon for a while

i have a company that will donate all the food and bevarages and even do most of the planning

i understand the liability issue and have talked it over with them

they are willing to have a lawyer draw up a waiver for the event

the only real function of CSC would be to generate intrest and possibly get other sponsors

i think the only way you are going to get good publicity and take the emphasis off of sportbikes being fast is get away from the racetrack

poker runs for charity have changed the way joe public look at hardley's

Dietrich_R1
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 07:37 PM
That's kinda why I thought it was a good idea also:

1) Great Visibility
2) Raise lots of $$ for a charity doing the plege mileage thang.
3) Make it into a poker run so the riders feel like they're getting something out of it.
4) Ask for a police motorcycle escort for a portion of the ride (make some friends).

KooLaid
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
I'd like any charity that would help out little kids. Something along the lines of being similar to the make a wish foundation type children.

lifeon2
Wed Mar 17th, 2004, 09:35 PM
OK when all of the needs/wants are worked out let me know I may be able to talk to a tire company or two (this seems like something Dunlop might do) as well as see about getting fuel donated along with whatever else might be needed i.e. dink prizes for the winners etc who knows but it would be great to find out and there pm me or e-mail me with the details when they are ironed out between now and then I'm trying to get a few irons out of the fire

Gramps
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
the poker run i am intrested in doing would be in conjunction with the law enforcement torch run for special olympics

which already has a huge amount of publicity

we would be partnering with police forces along the route

:dunno:

Dietrich_R1
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Someone just needs to start runn'n w/ the idea & sett'n it up. This possibility has many facets & would definately need more than 1 person to chair.

After the location is kinda narrowed down...
1) Set up the Poker Run
2) Set up & coordinate the Charity Pledge portion
3) Coordinate the after-ride-party (Isn't that a given??) :D

Of course each facet would require more than 1 person to help out.

I'ld luv to start the ball roll'n, but as you can see, I'm down here in Phoenix, so game off for me... :cry: I can just show up.

Good Luck,
D

CBRChick
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Whatever we decide on doing, I will be more than eager to help out with anything! This is an awesome idea to give back to the community, and hopefully help our sportbiker image! Kudos! :up:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Whatever we decide on doing, I will be more than eager to help out with anything! This is an awesome idea to give back to the community, and hopefully help our sportbiker image! Kudos! :up:

:imwithstupid: And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Slacker
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
:imwithstupid:

You have some great ideas here. I am more than willing to help out in anyway. I don't really do anything at work :banghead: so if you need calls to be made, data gathered, whatever..... I'd be happy to be the goofer dude.....

Anonymous
Thu Mar 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I got a lot of useful information from Glenn (MRA prez) about putting on a race, etc. It's a bit much to post here but we'll cover it on Wed at Brecks...

Let's discuss the poker run there too, again I strongly urge you to revisit the liability issue - Performance had waivers as well, and still got sued. I don't know the outcome but it's still expensive to even fight something like that (frivolous or not), and if there is a chance that Bob or myself would be involved in a lawsuit of that kind, we won't involve CSC in it.

Now, AMA does offer insurance for that type of thing, but there are other requirements for that too such as becoming an AMA-sanctioned club, etc.

Anonymous
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Just don't invite Bob to the brainstorming, you'll never get anything done!!! ;) :lol: :321:

Hoopty
Wed Mar 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
:P Just take a look at his sig. :lol:

shacheri
Sat Mar 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Heads up!

I may have some information about a poker run that is being arranged for in August. It is specifically for the purpose of raising money for Family Pathways, a charity that works with severly neglected and abused children.

I have been working with this charity for the last couple of years and can vouch for their integrity as a business, and success with working with children who would otherwise be lost.

(http://www.familypathwaysco.org/)

I will be getting more information about this soon...!

:)

silverblade
Thu Apr 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
I'm going to be hosting a motorcycle show once a month all summer long. in the final show will have a silent auction to raise money for The Jimmy V Cancer Foundation. I have local dealers sponsoring my show and we are also going to be showing personal bikes if anyone is interested in showing theirs. We have room for about 100 bikes total, so we can accomodate quite a few people.

Any interest PM me for more info.

Sat Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:34 PM
I have a connection with a local tire store. They are willing to give us certificates for 5 oil changes. We can sell them for $40 and $10 of it is ours to give to a charity. The store has 6 metro denver locations and since each oil change will cost only $8, these will be a piece of cake to sell. There are so many people on this message board that if everyone bought one and got a friend to buy one, that is a ton of money we could raise. What does everyone think?

Hey y'all, watch this!
Tue Apr 20th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Here's a charity event / ride we can "piggy back" on:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5945

We should all have CSC gear or some identifier (outside from the bikes).

Anonymous
Tue Apr 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Guess I should add an update here...

The charity race thing is happening! A press release (yep!) and a call for volunteers will be made shortly. This is now waaaay bigger than what we had initially thought about. You'll like it... ;)