PDA

View Full Version : Welding Service

dallas
Mon Nov 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I have decided to offer my welding skillz to club members. I am posting in the Southern CO forum because most of the work will have to be done at my house in Colorado Springs and I don't see a forum about providing services. Depending on the type of work, I may be able to come to you.

Since I still have my full time job, the jobs will have to be limited to repairs and small fabrication. I am free on weekends, or we can make arrangments for weeknights.

My fees depend on the type of work, but they are much less than a welding shop.

$pOiLeD_rOoKiE
Mon Nov 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I had services rendered by him and :applause: he hooked me up by welding a piece that was once broken on my frame and now fixed thanks to his mad skillz. Thanx again Dallas!!

R1chie
Mon Nov 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Good to know, I don't need anything welded as of yet but if I do I know where to go. Glad you are getting some use out of your welder.

dallas
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 07:52 AM
I figured it would help everyone out. Club members don't have to get bent over by going to a welding shop. About 5 or 6 years ago, I went to a welding shop to have my foot peg mount welded back to my dirtbike frame. It took the guy less than 15 min. including setup and he charged me $65!!!!

I have the equipment and the knowledge to use it, so why not give club members a break?

Bashed
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Dallas,
Can you do Aluminium or just steel?
Late Bash

dallas
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Yes, I did Aluminum for Joel ($poiled Cookie), and I can do steel and all the exotic metals like Titanium and such.

Bashed
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Good,
I have some work for you then.
Call me @ 266-8630.
Late Bash

Bassil Duwaik
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I might have a job for you too, give me a buzz at 720-257-2841
Bassil Duwaik

$pOiLeD_rOoKiE
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM
$poiled Cookie

I'll let the first one slide....wait, ok, the second one. The first one was my bike.:banghead:

PhL0aTeR
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'll def keep that in mind. I still feel like i owe you some cash for the boots. lol

dallas
Tue Nov 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I'll def keep that in mind. I still feel like i owe you some cash for the boots. lol

No worries man. I got them as a package deal and they didn't fit me. No reason to have them collect dust at my house!!

Bashed
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks Dallas for your time and skillz.
Much better and inexpensive than a shop.
You the Man!
Late Bash

TommyTheKid
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
oooh.. Titanium, that could be entertaining. You'd need some pretty damn pure argon or something to keep that stuff from turning into fireworks.

Really, if you are good at welding Titanium and are willing to work on, uh, non-bike-stuff, I could probably come up with a little job.. like building a gate out of 3/4" rod or something.. whad'ya think?

~tommy

dallas
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I don't mind at all if it will fit in my garage.

Do you want a steel gate or a titanium gate?

I can do steel and aluminum pretty cheap, but doing titanium would be more expensive due to the cost of filler rod.

dallas
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dallas for your time and skillz.
Much better and inexpensive than a shop.
You the Man!
Late Bash

You are very welcome Man!!!

I don't know if you guys will be open this Friday, but probably next Friday, I can swing by the shop and check out tail sections we were talking about.

godspeed409
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
You are very welcome Man!!!

I don't know if you guys will be open this Friday, but probably next Friday, I can swing by the shop and check out tail sections we were talking about.
hey dallas... i need a exhaust welded up, right now the canister and mid-pipe are clamped, but id really like to have them welded... nothing exotic, just stainless...

let me know if you can do it, when, where etc...

loyalhusband@gmail.com

oooh oooh ooh and a tip to a shift lever i broke off this morning!!!! Lol...

TommyTheKid
Mon Nov 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Steel is easy, I could probably even do it (wouldn't be pretty tho). The trouble with steel is, it rusts. I am not sure whether it would be worth it, but we have a bunch of surgical quality titanium rods ranging from proably 1/2 to 1"+ about 12' long that could be used to build something. Gates (stock gates) seemed like a good application cause they would be light and strong. I will find out if my dad is interested (its his titanium). At this point we only have ever used it thru the loops on one of those huge tarps (billboard signs) to tie it down over bales. We would probably purchase the rod/gas and supply that too. Its the skill that we are lacking.. oh that and equipment. the old 220v arc welder doesn't seem to fit the recommended equipment.

I don't mind at all if it will fit in my garage.

Do you want a steel gate or a titanium gate?

I can do steel and aluminum pretty cheap, but doing titanium would be more expensive due to the cost of filler rod.

PhL0aTeR
Wed May 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM
bumpity..... just had my M/C trailer worked on by Dallas.. stellar job, no lost digits or other appendages, despite him letting me use his chop saw.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hey Dallas can you cut and extend crash bars on a vstar? the factory crash bars dont come out very far (not even past the foot pegs) was wondering if there was anyway to cut the ends and extend them to come out further kind of like the harley crash bars do? Let me know and I can send you pictures.

dallas
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. Are the bars stainless, or just plated steel? You can bring it by either tomorrow or Friday after 4:30. I will be out of town this weekend, but I will be free after work all next week also.

Jobe
Wed May 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
They are stainless...I mean worse case scenario I can have BFJ polish them afterwards, I a more concerned about getting bars extended that are actually functional...(ie can have the bike weight put on them without bending/snapping.)

Oh and how much?

firegixx600
Thu May 17th, 2007, 05:20 AM
How bout something like this..http://www.tiregate.com/images/img_series_prerunner/img_pr_5.gif
It's kinda hard to fit a 35 under the bed:up:

dallas
Thu May 17th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Oh and how much?

Depends on how much welding is invovled and much the stainless tubing will cost. Bring it by and I can see what needs to be done and how much material i need to buy.

dallas
Thu May 17th, 2007, 06:35 AM
How bout something like this..http://www.tiregate.com/images/img_series_prerunner/img_pr_5.gif
It's kinda hard to fit a 35 under the bed:up:

That shouldn't be too bad because it is all straight bars.

Sortarican
Thu May 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Hey Dallas,
You should post something up in classifieds or maybe shop experience forums. (Or get a forum for "Services".)
God knows most fab shops are way too high for a quick job.
Always hit ya with that damn 'minimum job charge' for 5 minute spot weld.
Hell, You could get enough work to quit your day job. :)

Might have some aluminum work for you later in the year.
PM ya when I figure out how I want to do it.

dallas
Thu May 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
The only thing is I am set up to do stuff out of my garage here in the Springs. I need to get a generator and then I can do my thang where ever, when ever.

I know what you mean about paying a minimum charge. My minimum right now is a six pack of Bud Light.

jimwallace
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
i hope you dont mind me butting in on your forum dallas but i figured i would toss on here that i can plastic weld since it seems that no one else really does and given the fact that motorcycles have a lot of plastic i thought it might be slightly useful.

Brat
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
do you weld aluminum, i have a friend with a mount on his transmission he needs welded. south side springs.

dallas
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
i hope you dont mind me butting in on your forum dallas but i figured i would toss on here that i can plastic weld since it seems that no one else really does and given the fact that motorcycles have a lot of plastic i thought it might be slightly useful.

That is good to know. I have thought about picking up a Harbor Freight plastic welder, but I haven't had a great need for it and it is hard to justify the cost to the wife!!

Drift
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
i can plastic weld since it seems that no one else really does and given the fact that motorcycles have a lot of plastic i thought it might be slightly useful.

Jim, I may have a quick little job for you...we can talk next time we get together.

Dallas, maybe you can help with a project...I think fairly simple...maybe aluminum rods, easy fabrication...would like a hanger for my can so I can remove my PAX foot pegs.

dallas
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
do you weld aluminum, i have a friend with a mount on his transmission he needs welded. south side springs.

Does a fat baby poop? Heck yes I can do aluminum. I am not sure what it looks like for me doing it tonight, but I can definately get to it this week, or weekend.

dallas
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Jim, I may have a quick little job for you...we can talk next time we get together.

Dallas, maybe you can help with a project...I think fairly simple...maybe aluminum rods, easy fabrication...would like a hanger for my can so I can remove my PAX foot pegs.

I actually have some scrap aluminum flat stock that would be perfect for that.

Drift
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
I actually have some scrap aluminum flat stock that would be perfect for that.

Dallas, thank you, that sounds great. Next time I see you maybe we can talk about it.

jimwallace
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
well you guys are welcome to my services anytime.

Drift
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
well you guys are welcome to my services anytime.

Jim, thank you, for having the skills and equipment...and thank you again for helping out Scott last wekend...it was fun meeting you and riding until the "off"

Brat
Wed May 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM
okay heres the dilemma, i have a friend with a 95 ninja zx6 and the frame has a crack, he has the engine out now, and wants it welded. i know alluminum is a hard weld but he would like it done, asap im sure, and he would like it to be a clean weld of course. im just stating what he would want. pm me a price and i can tell him, we also live down south, he off drennan i off fontaine.
Brat

Vehicle 1
Sat Aug 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
PMd.... search engine ftw

Mental
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
PMd.... search engine ftw
excellent choice, Dallas knows his shizznit, and he has a proper shop now

Vehicle 1
Sun Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
excellent choice

+1

The bike is back together and running, the exhaust is clear of the new plates on the subframe and the scars are nicely tucked in!

Dallas....:bow:

navajowalks
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
what about a broke rear set? does that work out well?

dallas
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have done a few rearsets, it just depends on how/where it broke and how much good material is left to weld to. Those are typically pot aluminum so as soon as I touch the torch to them, they melt like crazy.

navajowalks
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have done a few rearsets, it just depends on how/where it broke and how much good material is left to weld to. Those are typically pot aluminum so as soon as I touch the torch to them, they melt like crazy.

ok here is the deal. it broke just in front of where the peg comes out. it looks weak as hell. but i'm trying to go to branson thursday, well i'm going but i'm trying to fix this before then. i'm trying to hunt down a used, but i need back up plan. are you intrested in trying to help me out? its worth a try isn't it?

#1Townie
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
hey matt dallas is sick with a welder.. so i hear.. hes a good guy too.. let him check it out..

#1Townie
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM
hahah you posted that right before i did..

steal your buddys omr sub..

wait didnt you have one??

dallas
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 10:34 AM
ok here is the deal. it broke just in front of where the peg comes out. it looks weak as hell. but i'm trying to go to branson thursday, well i'm going but i'm trying to fix this before then. i'm trying to hunt down a used, but i need back up plan. are you intrested in trying to help me out? its worth a try isn't it?

I will certainly take a look at it. If it is right near the peg, there should be enough material there to melt back together.

navajowalks
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
hahah you posted that right before i did..

steal your buddys omr sub..

wait didnt you have one??

roger that ghostrider! i think your with me now... he hooked it up already mission accomplished

I will certainly take a look at it. If it is right near the peg, there should be enough material there to melt back together.

thanks again dallas, you helped me out big time, Way less stressed out now for sure. when ever your ready for those tires let me know. :hump:

Zach929rr
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Dallas... I'll get in contact with you about some possible work I need done on the ride. Let me snap some pics and I'll get to you sometime later this week.

#1Townie
Tue Aug 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM
he dallas think your up to doing a subframe cage??

dallas
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Dallas... I'll get in contact with you about some possible work I need done on the ride. Let me snap some pics and I'll get to you sometime later this week.
Sounds good, just let me know what I am getting into.

he dallas think your up to doing a subframe cage??

Bring it on man!! I'm not afraid, I'll tear anything up!!!

#1Townie
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
you free at some point this weekend??

dallas
Wed Aug 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Probably not this weekend, but I have time afterwork during the week. Maybe next weekend.

noskills
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Dallas,

Are you still welding and in the springs? Could you help out with something like this or point me towards someone closer to Denver? Found this hidden gem on my XR650R, added by previous owner, while pulling sprocket cover/chain. YAY!

The mount is cracked on both sides. If it's weld-able, I was hoping it would be as simple as clean, clamp to tighten up and weld. Sound feasible? I'm not looking for beautiful just functional.

aerofaze
Sun Mar 27th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dallas, u da bomb. :up: Thanks for the offer and I'll remember you if I need welding.

Riverdog
Sat Apr 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hey Dallas:
I just ordered some floor pans to replace the rusted out ones in my CJ7.
I am going to need a competent welder to put these in. I will send PM, but thought I would give you a bump for offered service.
Thanks

Riverdog
Sat May 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Bump for another job well done and a stand up guy. Thanks Dallas.
I cleaned up all the weld spots, sealed in the pans and primered them. They look pretty good and sure as hell beats the rusted out crap that was in there.
Thanks again