PDA

View Full Version : *Long Post* -- Engine Flooding?

Solinary
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Heya everyone,
I have another question for you gurus out there. Few weeks ago my soon to be ex-wife went out to the garage and pushed my bike (2000 ZX-6R) over onto it's right side. Aside from the visual damage, I am thinking that there may be mechanical damage, but I am not sure it is from that.

Since then I moved from CO to IA (don't ask :o ). It was a quick move with little planning and all I was able to do was put my bike on the back of a truck and leave town. This was the weekend of Feb 9 that I moved and it was below freezing through Nebraska and Iowa for a while.

Once I got here I fired up the bike and noticed immediatly that it was idling rough. I let it warm up and took it out to see how it rode. When I gave it any gas, the engine would act as though it was flooding and then catch up and go. At idle it would do the same thing. Not haveing a clue what to do really, I went ahead and changed out the plugs, which were in bad shape, and changed the oil (it was due).

I just now finished that up along with fixing the physical damage. Again I started it up and I am getting the same thing. Not moving, when I give it fast gas it cuts for a couple seconds then revs, although it does so with a bit of hesitation. On the road, in 1st gear, when I give it "get up and go" throttle, the bike will react fast till 6k rpm then it sputters till about 7-7 1/2k rpm then it will get up and move again.

I am curious if there is anything that could have been jacked up mechanically when she pushed it over. Or is it possible that moisture was able to get into the fuel line during that cold move to Iowa. I am really at a loss here and I just know that you all will have some solid suggestions as usual. Sorry for the novel, but thank you for taking the time to read it over.

Anonymous
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Something stuck in the carb perhaps?

Anonymous
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Just a guess here, but
a) the 2000 ZX-6R's were carborated, right?
b) Waterloo has an elevation of 837 feet (well, at least their airport does), that's a difference of over 4400 feet.

You need to get your bike rejetted.

Solinary
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Yes, it is carburated.

As for the altitude part, when I bought the bike I was in Alaska (sea level). I lived there for a year after I bought the bike and moved back to CO. I had asked about getting it tuned for the altitude (there is a post somewhere) and when I finally asked the Kawi guys they said not to. So I never did. So, essentially, the bike is still tuned for sea level.

I should have started it in CO. :|

MattTLS
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Spiderman's diagnosis seems about right to me, too. There're only a couple other likely possible causes I can think of right now.

There's not fuel running out of the overflow tubes, is there? If you notice that, it's the needle and seat or maybe the float level that's out of adjustment. If it was the needle/seat, it would probably run really bad from idle until it could clear itself out (if even possible).

Also, improper carburetor synchronization could cause some problems. When was the last time it was adjusted?

Matthew

Solinary
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:18 PM
I have never had it adjusted. Like I said, I was going to when I moved from Alaska to Colorado, but the techs at RM Kawi in Longmont said that it was not nessecary and that I would actually lose power.

So being that the bike is from Alaska which is sea level and was never adjusted from that altitude, would you all still think that is the trouble? That I moved from a high altitude to a lower one? If so, I will call up the local techs here tomorrow and see what the damage to the wallet will be.

MattTLS
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:54 PM
Okay, when did you last ride the bike? If it hasn't been ridden much in several months, the carburetors could just be a little varnished. It would be easy enough to remove them from the bike and do some 'spring cleaning'.

Matthew

Solinary
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:04 PM
Last I rode it was a few days before she had knocked it over. I remember this because it was balls cold out and I was taking a slow turn onto my street and the rear hit some ice and tried to slide out from under me...nice adrenaline rush. :P

As far as that cleaning, I am so not mechanically inclined. I am pretty much bound to a tech fixing it once it gets past changing out the plugs. :oops:

I will call up that place tomorrow though and see what thier rate is to check out the carb. Thanks again for your suggestions, as always I value each one. :)

mikesf4i
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
Dude the answer is simple. Your bike is smarter than you.
IOWA SUCKS!!!
I grew up in Cedar Rapids, it sucked. The cops suck. There is nothing to do there. Unless your in big legal trouble or fearing for your life from the soon to be ex, move back to colorado and your bike will love you again. Did I mention that there are no corners on any roads in Iowa? They are all straight.

Just kidding :lol:

I had the cops knock my last bike (85 900 ninja) over at a roadblock, and it ended up breaking a chunk out of my clutch basket which later exploded and took out the bottom end. I cant believe the cop was that pissed!
Fooker! :321: All I was doing was just speeding (154mph in a 55)

MattTLS
Mon Mar 22nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
I hope you can get it figured out. Have you considered getting a service manual and attempting to find and fix the problem? If you just take your time, you may find it's not so difficult that you can't get it done yourself.

Okay, I'll stop with that now.

As for cleaning the carbs, all it really entails is gas tank and possible bodywork removal, taking the airbox out, disconnecting the fuel lines and throttle/choke cables, draining the fuel that's in the carbs, removing the carbs, and then some fairly straightforward disassembly of the carbs (float bowl removal -- bottom side of carb -- followed by removal of various jets and possibly taking apart the top side also to access the jet needle) and then cleaning/reassembly.

If you do this once or twice, you'll probably never bring your bike back to a shop for this again which'll save you money, time, and headaches in the future. Plus, it's rewarding to get it running 'right' yourself.

All right, I'll really stop this already.

Matthew

RF900guy
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Last I rode it was a few days before she had knocked it over. I remember this because it was balls cold out and I was taking a slow turn onto my street and the rear hit some ice and tried to slide out from under me...nice adrenaline rush. :P

As far as that cleaning, I am so not mechanically inclined. I am pretty much bound to a tech fixing it once it gets past changing out the plugs. :oops:

I will call up that place tomorrow though and see what thier rate is to check out the carb. Thanks again for your suggestions, as always I value each one. :)

Considering it has been two months since you moved and last rode the bike, I woulden't rule out the varnish. Also consider how old the gas is in the bike, You didn't say when you bought the gas currently in the bike or the quantity of old gas still remaining.

RF900guy
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:09 AM

Considering it has been two months since you moved and last rode the bike, I woulden't rule out the varnish. Also consider how old the gas is in the bike, You didn't say when you bought the gas currently in the bike or the quantity of old gas still remaining.

Solinary
Tue Mar 23rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
It is gas from CO...would say about 1/4 tank left. I was going to dump that fuel out tomorrow as well and fill it fresh.