PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start

ChefQ
Tue Nov 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
I am having truble getting my 2000 r6 to start in the cold. Any advise?

No-coast-punk
Tue Nov 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Need more info. How old are the plugs? Have the carbs been overhauled ever? Has the bike sat for extended periods? Is the hot start fine? Is it not cranking? Does it just crank forever?

TurboGizzmo
Tue Nov 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM
I am having truble getting my 2000 r6 to start in the cold. Any advise?

How long have you had it? Is this a new issue?

I know when i got my 98 F3 i was warned it didnt like cold starts, it took some getting use to, but now i figured out the trick to get it running in when its cold.....

ChefQ
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
I did just get it. The guy said he had only ridden it twice this year, but it starts fine 45 degree or higher and then turns and turns when cold. I actually ran down the battery a few times trying. Now have a tender and can get it going after a while. I have not checked the plugs but everything else is pretty emaculate, and I figured if it started warm fine than the plugs should be okay.

Fly boy
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Choke, pull all the way out, and give a quick little throttle.... thats what gets my F2 going in 15 degree weather :)

No-coast-punk
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
Put a bottle of Chevron Techron in with a mostly full tank for your next few tanks of gas. When carb'd bikes sit they can develop all sorts of issues. Cold start can be a problem at this altitude simply because the carbs weren't designed for high altitude and extreme temps.

Blipping the throttle helps because it gives the engine a bit of fuel and bumps up flow velocity for a short bit. Don't do it too many times or you will flood it.

NZ Darren
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM
With my bike which also has carbs, to start in cold weather:
Pull back the choke
Turn the key and do NOT touch the throttle, starts in about 2 sec at most.

Try starting it while not touching the throttle - do the opposite in warm weather

No-coast-punk
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
Also, Ask the previous owner if the bike was purchased out of state. The thing may have never had the carb's jetted for this altitude.

ChefQ
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
It is jetted, and I will try chevron cleaner.
Thanks for your advice. I will update later