PDA

View Full Version : Want to get into racing

Goatsie
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
I've just recently got into the sport of riding motorcycles (I got my bike in May) and since then it has been a sort of obsession; my next plan is to get into racing however there are a few problems: I do not know where a decent race track is in CO, I'm not properly trained to race, I'm a poor college student, I don't have boots, and I don't know anyone in Colorado who goes racing.

So I've come here to seek out the answers to these mysteries. If you can help me out it'd be great!

PS. Probably my biggest hope for this is to find some buddies to "teach me to ropes" of racing and get to know people. Group rides are alright, and I'd be willing to go a few times, but its really all about track.

Bueller
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:31 PM
You should do some track days first at IMI or the Pueblo track to see how well you really like it. Poor and racing don't go together well.

Kris
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Here's a place to start for information:

www.mra-racing.org

rforsythe
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, what Bueller said. There will also be MRA racing schools likely in April (www.mra-racing.org) that are a full day of turning and burning, and result in you being eligible to get a race license (the class is a prerequisite to racing).

Bueller
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:32 PM
We will be at IMI on Sat. I will be on the #999 bikes (supermoto). If you are interested in actually racing I can give you some insight as to what is involved. And if you want to ride I would recommend getting some boots, heavy work boots at a minimum. Size?

Goatsie
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Intriguing, I'd be quite interested in doing so. I don't have any heavy work boots, but I do have a pair of high tennis shoes (high as in covering ankles-the support area covering my achilles is semi-rigid). They are size 9.5. Um... my bike is not prepped in any way, but did recently get new tires. (Its a '94 CBR 600-its quite banged up from me dropping it a few times- gimme a break I learned to ride on this bike! hehe). Let me know, definitely interested.

rybo
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
Bueller,

What time are you planning on starting? I could get interested in coming out to join you. If I come I have an extra pair of boots about that size I can bring to lend out for the day...

LMK

Scott

1ofTheBoys
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
What is the weather supposed to be like on Saturday. I would probably interested in IMI.

Goatsie
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
How do you get to IMI?

-PUCK-
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
I am just getting started with racing. I have not found a way to get into it without it costing a lot of money though. Definitely spend a bunch of time at the track(s) first like Bueller said. Start eBaying like mad to get some gear though, because you cannot ride track without the right equipment, and you certainly don't wanna see what happens when (not if) you wreck out there without it. Good luck bro! (it's totally addicting)
:rock:

eklew
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
How do you get to IMI?

Take I-25 north or south, depending on where you are and take exit 232 (Erie/Dacono). Go east towards Dacono and you will see a dirt road at a 4 way stop. Go straight and the track will be on your south side. Hope you can make it!!!

Goatsie
Wed Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Great! What should I bring? What do I need? I want to get some action the the race track.

Bueller
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Weather is 50+ and climbing in the forecasts, I usually get there between 10-10:30, I'll bring a pair of road race boots size 43, they may fit but might be a bit tight. Bring some energy snacks at minimum and some fluid. they sell stuff there, including fuel, but I like to bring my own. Bring the best gear you've got, leather preferably. The are no restrictions at IMI except for a helmet, so no taping or coolant restrictions.

Goatsie
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
I like to be sure I dont get lost; anyone want to give me their number just in case I do?

eklew
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
I like to be sure I dont get lost; anyone want to give me their number just in case I do?

PM sent with my cell info.:siesta:

Goatsie
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
THanks!

Mel
Thu Nov 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
If you are thinking there is a cheap or affordable way into racing, please share what your secret is. However, track days are an excellent learning experience, and a great stress relief (or add to stress, depends on how good you are I guess).

In the words of the great Gene Bazyl (bitches):
"There is something you can do to prepare yourself for racing. Get a nice 100 deg. day, Build a roaring fire in the fireplace, Put on your full race leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, Sit in front of the fireplace and throw money at it. This will give you a good feel for a day at the races. "

Bueller
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Goatsie, so now what do you think? :)

Goatsie
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I thought it was great! Some thoughts though:

-Much more physically taxing than I thought
-Track, though I've never been to another track, the pavement seemed to be really narrow
-Hard riding puts a lot of stress on the bike (noticed a leaking fork seal, and brake fluid was leaking as well-brakes faded quickly)
-Limiting factor of fast times was lack of confidence on corners; having almost "eating it" on turn 6 (the sharp left hand-er) I was much more aware of entry speed and position of the bike-I tended to get the tires right on the edge of the track as I "hit" the apex
-Much more confidence leaning right than left; I noticed that the edge of the the rear tyre on the right side had contact with the pavement, whereas there was probably 15 or so millimeters from the left edge that didn't touch the pavement
-Trying to go fast on an unfamiliar track is not a good idea. After I ran the track a few times I should have adjusted my line, but instead I noticed that I tried to increase entry speed, which is not exactly a good idea for a newbie. I came in too hot many times.
-Pushing the bike towards its limit was a little scary. I didn't know when traction would release on turns; I was worried the stress may have been too much for my old bike. I started noticing what seemed like back fire sounds.

In all I thought it was effing awesome, but now I have the fix said problems and that is going to cost me, which isn't fun.

Thanks to Bueller, Eklew for letting me use your boots and those of you I met at the track for giving pointers and track "etiquettes".

Bueller
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Glad you had a good time, now you've go an idea of why we do this, go as fast as you dare without the road hazards ('cept for the 'tards), and no cops. That track is very small and tight, great for cornering practice, but the pavement is not the best and it does require a lot of effort to get a bike around it. Pueblo is much bigger and much faster, but it will stress your bike and tires dramatically more.
Next time follow someone around that is familiar with the track and note their lines, following a 'tard might not be the best line for a sportbike though.
As you get more comfortable on your bike and with the track you can start working on individual skills and corners, you can spend quite a bit of time learning the fast way around a track. BTW they reverse the direction on that track weekly and it is a completely different track the other way.:applause:

Now of course you get the pleasure of fixing your fork seals, but that is an extremely small expense compared to what this sport will cost you if you continue with your quest. In fact they will cost you less than getting your race license.

Here is your reality check now. Your bike will not even be remotely competitive, and considering it's age, probably not very reliable. To race prep it to pass tech figure $1000-$1500 and that doesn't include suspension. You are better off buying a race ready 600 for $2500-$4000.
You can't ride the bike to the races so a tow vehicle and trailer or a pickup. Tire warmers, Generator, Easy-up, front and rear stands and all the little bits and pieces that you need to pick up off season for the best prices.
Now after the $300+ race school/competition license/AMA membership, lets talk raceday expenses, Entry fees, tires, fuel, lodging, meals, travel expenses. If you go as cheap as humanly possible, no Sat. practice, using take-offs, running pump gas, camping out, and eating Vienna sausages and kool-aid, figure $500 a weekend, if you want all the good stuff your looking at $1000+ depending on the locality of the track. This is all dependent on you not crashing, which may double your expenses.

Now, fork seals and boots don't seem so expensive do they? :)

My suggestion, keep doing track days, you can do 3 half days at Pueblo or 7 days at IMI for what you will pay for 1 day (3 sprint races).

Good luck, and hope to see you at the track.

BTW those Alpinestars can be yours for $45 :yes:

Lel
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 03:11 PM
dont waste your time going to IMI unless youre on a supermoto bike... youll learn bad habits and end up w/ tunnel vision when you get on a track that your going 5 times faster on.

if you really want to get into racing, try to make time to go to pueblo...

Goatsie
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Were you there yesterday Jason? I can only put names of faces to a few people I met yesterday.

How long is the drive to Pueblo?

Bueller, did anyone take pictures? I think Eklew did; ought to tell him to post up some pics.

Bueller
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Dub posted a few in the Supermoto thread, dunno if he had more or not.
Krod took a picture of my Shih-Tzu :)

Pueblo is about a 1.5-2 hr. drive.

Lel
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Were you there yesterday Jason? I can only put names of faces to a few people I met yesterday.

How long is the drive to Pueblo?

Bueller, did anyone take pictures? I think Eklew did; ought to tell him to post up some pics.

was not there yesterday... just getting back into town today.

bueller is right on... 1.5 - 2 hours from denver. (i live in highlands ranch, and takes about 1.5 hours w/o speeding, 1.25 w/ some mild speeding)

jason

rybo
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry that I missed today, sounds like it was a good one.

I'm going to disagree with Jason, IMI is a good track to practice on and requires superb concentration to go around fast on. Is it Pueblo? Is it 150 MPH? no, but it is constant corner entry and exit, having to set up for multiple corners quickly and making the bike change direction efficiently. Is it a perfect practice track? no... is it better than not going to the track at all? FOR SURE! I like practicing there because 1. It's close and 2. To get around it quickly you have to be a pretty good technical rider. "trying"to GO FAST, as goatsie learned, really is counterproductive. Working on being smooth pays huge divedends at IMI that pay off at other tracks as well.

My .02, but to put it in perspective, I'm not as fast as Jason or Bueller.

Scott

eklew
Sun Nov 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Sorry, I was only taking pics of Dub per his request. I definitely like IMI more on my tard than on my Gixxer but I do have to agree with Rybo that it is better than no track time at all for sportbikes.

Lel
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM
I'm going to disagree with Jason, IMI is a good track to practice on and requires superb concentration to go around fast on. Is it Pueblo? Is it 150 MPH? no, but it is constant corner entry and exit, having to set up for multiple corners quickly and making the bike change direction efficiently. Is it a perfect practice track? no... is it better than not going to the track at all? FOR SURE! I like practicing there because 1. It's close and 2. To get around it quickly you have to be a pretty good technical rider. "trying"to GO FAST, as goatsie learned, really is counterproductive. Working on being smooth pays huge divedends at IMI that pay off at other tracks as well.

there is definately some merit to what you said, you said it the best way you could...

'working on being smooth pays huge divedends..... '

its hard to say how many people go there and want to be 'smooth' instead of just going faster, and that is what practice is. Work on one section of the track, become smooth and THEN increase your speed.

Is it better than no track, absolutely. But is 1 day at IMI worth 1 day at IMI? not in my opinion. Thats why I said, try to make time to head to pueblo instead of IMI... realistically I live in highlands ranch and it takes me just as long to get to IMI as it does pueblo. So if you live up north, yes IMI might be a good track to head to then, but if your central denver/south its almost the same, if not worth the 15 extra mins it takes to get there.

jason

Hoopty
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
South-siiiiiddddee!!! :guns:
There's no comparison between Pueblo and IMI for sportbikes. :rock:

DevilsTonic
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM
My first day on the track was this past Saturday at IMI, and I personally think that it was a good place for me to start. It taught me a lot about maneuvering the bike through multiple turns in a short distance. I am anxious to get out to Pueblo, but would like to get comfortable with myself at IMI (Smaller / Slower track) before I venture out to Pueblo with the expert riders.

Polar X
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
But is 1 day at IMI worth 1 day at IMI? not in my opinion.
jason:wtf: :think: what the hell kinda english is that.:silly: :D

rforsythe
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
:wtf: :think: what the hell kinda english is that.:silly: :D

Seriously! Stop typing inside the dyno booth Jason, the fumes are making your brain (what's left of it anyway) turn to mush.

Lel
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
:wtf: :think: what the hell kinda english is that.:silly: :D

i posted that after i woke up waiting for the shower to warm up (i like days off)... so i wasnt quite with it when i posted! lol My head was still booting up!

Lurch
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 05:37 PM
i posted that after i woke up waiting for the shower to warm up (i like days off)... so i wasnt quite with it when i posted! lol My head was still booting up!

Funny thing is I knew what the hell you were saying. Bad english or not IMI is a waste of a day on a sportbike.

Lurch

-PUCK-
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
before I venture out to Pueblo with the expert riders.

Are you kidding me? I ride out there....:lol:

The GECCO
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Funny thing is I knew what the hell you were saying. Bad english or not IMI is a waste of a day on a sportbike.

Lurch:imwithstupid:

krod
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Yep and you get your ass handed to you by a 50hp dirtbike,lol

AshliRider44
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Poor and Racing do NOT go together :lol: sorry, but Dave and I spend a hellava lot of money each race weekend, I guess there are some cheap ways to do it, but if you are getting race tires each weekend, paying for rooms each weekend, gas to get there, entrance fees, etc etc etc then its rough.

IMO IMI is the SHITTIEST track to go to, I have not gone to that track without seeing someone crash on a street bike, yes its better to get some track time then none but it didn't help me the slightest bit, unfortunately yeah SCR is no longer here, hell even CDR was better then IMI, just remember that its a narrow track and you should be fine ;)

Spiderman
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
entrance fees:wtf: Dave's on the Air Fence Team - he doesn't pay entry fees! :lol:

IMO IMI is the SHITTIEST track to go to, I have not gone to that track without seeing someone crash on a street bike, yes its better to get some track time then none but it didn't help me the slightest bit, unfortunately yeah SCR is no longer here, hell even CDR was better then IMI, just remember that its a narrow track and you should be fine ;)
And how many tracks have you ridden at?!? :roll: People crash at ALL tracks. If you ride within the limitations of the track, the conditions, and your skill, you will not crash. IMI is where I first dragged knee, and I hold a fond place in my heart for it. Is it fun for me now? No, not really - I've outgrown it. Did it help me to get fast? Hell yeah! Do I think it's a great place for a newb to get an intro to the track? Absolutely!!! Is it a place for them to learn to go fast? Maybe, but they can only progress so far at that track.

Just because there are better tracks out there, don't knock it - it is ideal for some people to use as an introduction to the track.

Bueller
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yep and you get your ass handed to you by a 50hp dirtbike,lol
You have 50? :bigeyes: :bananna:

eklew
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Lurch

That's why there sumos out there!!!!

Feathered upstart!
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Some of the most fun I had at the track was on IMI on an R1.

Goatsie
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I'd like to come back ASAP when my forks are fixed and possibly the whole leaking brake fluid issue. Anyone knows what they're doing and want to help (that is if its cheaper than the shop)? I can't promise money, but I could provide beer n food n stuff.

Lel
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 11:11 PM
If you ride within the limitations of the track, the conditions, and your skill, you will not crash.

I call bullshit on that! You NEVER KNOW what someone else is going to do.... I have two plates and 14 screws in my arm because someone thought they could go into a turn faster than they could handle. Now throw into the mix a track that WAS NOT designed for bikes (it is a go kart track) go karts, bikes, people first time on a track thats not wide enough etc, you now have a huge amount of question marks to answer.

I guess weve moved away from the topic of 'how to get started racing'... plain and simple you do not get into racing through IMI, you practice on tracks you will race at, and IMI is not it. If you want to get into racing practice at a track you will actually RACE on.

.... ps why rip into ashli about how many times shes been to a track? she just gave her opinion like everyone else... you said you outgrew the track... why? probably about the same time you started racing, so again back to the original topic as i said before, ride where you are going to race if you want to get into racing

Bueller
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Ya know the guy wanted to try a track, he doesn't have much money, no boots and no clue about track riding. We met him there, loaned him some boots and gave him some pointers, all for the grand total of $25. He enjoyed it, and will likely return. Aside from peoples personal opinions about the track, it was a good first time experience for him. A few trips to IMI will not make or break his racing career. If he is serious about racing I am sure he will work his way to Pueblo, which of course is only one of the tracks he would race on. Personally I wouldn't spend the time on IMI with a sportbike either, I rode my racebike around 5 or so laps and put it away and went back to the Tard, way more fun!

Spiderman
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 06:52 AM
If you ride within the limitations of the track, the conditions, and your skill, you will not crash.

I call bullshit on that! You NEVER KNOW what someone else is going to do....
While what you say is true, my comment was specific to street riders - perhaps I should have started it with: "Street riders crash at ALL tracks..."

I have two plates and 14 screws in my arm because someone thought they could go into a turn faster than they could handle.
Didn't that happened during a race (at Miller, IIRC)? You couldn't pay me enough money to even consider racing at IMI!!! :shock: Racing and track days are 2 different things - even more so at IMI I suppose. I guess we are getting off-topic - I was just arguing that IMI can be a good place to get your feet wet on a track... possibly as a pre-curser to racing.

plain and simple you do not get into racing through IMIWhy not? I did. So did Alex Kuretz and Dion Eads (bluedevil), that I know of, I'm sure there are others. It was an inexpensive way for me to get comfortable on a track, and then when I did go to a REAL race track, I was able to get up to speed quickly.

you said you outgrew the track... why? probably about the same time you started racingIn the middle of my first season racing, I returned to IMI for a liesurely track-day (coming back from an injury). I wasn't pushing it, but I had fun. I stopped having fun when I brought my race bike out there a year later and tried to push it, because I was at a level that was beyond what that track was able to provide me.

rforsythe
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM
My first track experience was at IMI (with rocktboy, who used to post here often) and I had a blast. It isn't big, it isn't fast, but for your first time or two on a track is fun, because you don't know any better, and you're still marvelling at the fact that you're actually there in the first place. Once you move to bigger tracks IMI loses its luster for anything bigger than a motard, but that's also kinda the point of getting better over time. And Bueller's right, for $25 you can't beat the entertainment, especially as a new rider.

As for crashes on certain tracks... Well, I've been cornerworking for years, did track marshal for one, and have run three R2SL events to date. I've been to countless track days as well. My point? With every track and event I've been to, I can count on one hand the number of those occasions where someone didn't wreck. It's the nature of pushing your limits, sometimes you exceed them. IMI isn't an unsafe track, unless you pretend it's Pueblo, and the fact that Ashli has seen multiple crashes there isn't surprising to me - it's called track riding.

AshliRider44
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Dave's on the Air Fence Team - he doesn't pay entry fees!

And how many tracks have you ridden at?!? :roll: People crash at ALL tracks. If you ride within the limitations of the track, the conditions, and your skill, you will not crash. IMI is where I first dragged knee, and I hold a fond place in my heart for it. Is it fun for me now? No, not really - I've outgrown it. Did it help me to get fast? Hell yeah! Do I think it's a great place for a newb to get an intro to the track? Absolutely!!! Is it a place for them to learn to go fast? Maybe, but they can only progress so far at that track.

Just because there are better tracks out there, don't knock it - it is ideal for some people to use as an introduction to the track.

Bob you're fast??? :lol:

I am telling him that HE will have entrance fees genius.

I'll knock whatever the hell I want, who the hell are you to try an tell someone they can't have an opinion... :slap:

I've ridden Pueblo, SCR, and IMI (and go karts on IMI which is all its good for besides motocross) and IN MY OWN DAMN OPINION IMI sucks ass.... thanks :up:

PS.... I think you should back off a little bit there tiger, everyone has a right to their own opinion, other people on this thread have shared their opinions that IMI is a waste of time so why are you jumping on my shit, settle down there guy!

yoho
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 08:37 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/emoticons/hijacked.gif

AshliRider44
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/emoticons/hijacked.gif

Sowy :oops: carry on..... :hump:

konichd
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM
If your just getting into racing, IMI is a great track to practice your riding technique! It also cost $25 bucks for a whole day, and good or bad, gear is minimal if you don't have funds at the time. I like to go to IMI and practice being smooth, throttle control, riding position, etc. that way when I go to another track (Miller Motorsports Park) I can concentrate on riding that track, not technique or throttle control because I prepared BEFORE I went to a bigger track. I went to IMI with *KEN* to practice before we went to Miller in Aug. and it was priceless. I went to Miller much more prepared and ready for my track day. IMI doesn't suck, the people with over-inflated ego's suck. Its an excellent practice track for first timers or just to brush off some rust before the spring track season begins.

Back on topic however, realize not only do you need to spend money to prep your bike and gear, but you also have extra's to think about. Plan on buying bike stands, a cooler, tools, spare parts, tires, etc. :)

AshliRider44
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM
If your just getting into racing, IMI is a great track to practice your riding technique! It also cost $25 bucks for a whole day, and good or bad, gear is minimal if you don't have funds at the time. I like to go to IMI and practice being smooth, throttle control, riding position, etc. that way when I go to another track (Miller Motorsports Park) I can concentrate on riding that track, not technique or throttle control because I prepared BEFORE I went to a bigger track. I went to IMI with *KEN* to practice before we went to Miller in Aug. and it was priceless. I went to Miller much more prepared and ready for my track day. IMI doesn't suck, the people with over-inflated ego's suck. Its an excellent practice track for first timers or just to brush off some rust before the spring track season begins.

Back on topic however, realize not only do you need to spend money to prep your bike and gear, but you also have extra's to think about. Plan on buying bike stands, a cooler, tools, spare parts, tires, etc. :)

Can we stop the name calling now :lol:

Good luck with racing Goatsie, hopefully we'll see you out there :)

konichd
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I don't mean to offend anyone :) I think that IMI is a great PRACTICE track, not a RACETRACK like Pueblo, Hastings, etc. Its a good place to prepare before heading out to a bigger track that could be beyond the skillz of a new rider.

Have fun Goatsie, and welcome to the addiction. :thumbsup:

Spiderman
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Bob you're fast???:lol: :321:

I am telling him that HE will have entrance fees genius.Sorry, I read it as an extension of "Dave and I spend a hellava lot of money each race weekend...". Thanks for clarifying.

I'll knock whatever the hell I want, who the hell are you to try an tell someone they can't have an opinion... I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't have an opinion. Sorry if I came off that way. It's just that the way you worded your original post ("IMO IMI is the SHITTIEST track to go to") sounded to me like you were saying 'AVOID THIS TRACK AT ALL COSTS!!! :wtf:, but the main/first supporting reason you gave ("I have not gone to that track without seeing someone crash on a street bike") did nothing to justify your opinion - like I said, street riders crash at all tracks.

I've ridden Pueblo, SCR, and IMI and IN MY OWN DAMN OPINION IMI sucks ass.... thanks Once again, thanks for clarifying. :up:

Those old racers like The Gecco, Lurch, and Leleck have been riding tracks so long, they've forgotten (haha - old/forgetful, get it? :lol: ) the thrill and anxiety a street rider feels when they get onto a track for the first time... Any track.

hcr25
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I think IMI is ok if you are very new to riding and have not been to a real motorcycle track. Being able to go around IMI fast does not mean you are fast at a real track or that you will ever be able to be fast on a real track.
IMI can help learn some basics but can also cause mistakes once you do end up at a big track.

If you plan on racing i think you should practice on a track that you would race on. Is IMI cheap? Sure but how valuable would it be if you had spent the same time at Pueblo once the season starts?

Mike

Lel
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Those old racers like The Gecco, Lurch, and Leleck have been riding tracks so long, they've forgotten (haha - old/forgetful, get it? :lol: ) the thrill and anxiety a street rider feels when they get onto a track for the first time... Any track.

HEY!!! Im not old... YET... hahah :)

AshliRider44
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I read it as an extension of "Dave and I spend a hellava lot of money each race weekend...". Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not trying to tell anyone they can't have an opinion. Sorry if I came off that way. It's just that the way you worded your original post ("IMO IMI is the SHITTIEST track to go to") sounded to me like you were saying 'AVOID THIS TRACK AT ALL COSTS!!! , but the main/first supporting reason you gave ("I have not gone to that track without seeing someone crash on a street bike") did nothing to justify your opinion - like I said, street riders crash at all tracks.

Once again, thanks for clarifying.

Those old racers like The Gecco, Lurch, and Leleck have been riding tracks so long, they've forgotten (haha - old/forgetful, get it? ) the thrill and anxiety a street rider feels when they get onto a track for the first time... Any track.

In my original post I stated "Poor and Racing do NOT go together LOL sorry, but Dave and I spend a hellava lot of money each race weekend, I guess there are some cheap ways to do it, but if you are getting race tires each weekend, paying for rooms each weekend, gas to get there, entrance fees, etc etc etc then its rough."

Pretty clear if you ask me ;)

"Just because there are better tracks out there, don't knock it - it is ideal for some people to use as an introduction to the track."

This sounds like you don't want me to voice my opinion. :)

"And how many tracks have you ridden at?!? :roll:"

This is just plain immature, its one thing to joke around and its another to attack just to be a dick, just because I've only ridden a few tracks doesn't mean I don't have a right to an opinion, come on now Bob.. sorry had to throw that one in there. :)

As for people crashing at ALL TRACKS first of all I was stating that when attending track days at like for instance SCR, CDR, or Pueblo I always saw a crash at IMI, and not always at the others. That's it.

Sorry to have to diagnose, but I just kinda felt like it :lol: Have a fantastic afternoon!

Mel
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I have mad skillz when it comes to sliding on my head, yo.

*GSXR~SNAIL*
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Ding, ding, ding....And in the Black corner, wearing black shorts and a black and white vertically striped shirt we have your Champion, Ashli with an I Bitches!

AshliRider44
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ding, ding, ding....And in the Black corner, wearing black shorts and a black and white vertically striped shirt we have your Champion, Ashli with an I Bitches!

:oops: LOL :boobies: :hibye:

Feathered upstart!
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ashli PWNS!!!

-PUCK-
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Now show us your tits!!!!

:lol: ....sorry....somebody had to say it.

Spiderman
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
That's it - no more skimming through posts and replying when I'm tired! :drink:

Have a fantastic afternoon!Thanks! You too! :up:

krod
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Now show us your tits!!!!

:lol: ....sorry....somebody had to say it.

:imwithstupid: :spit:

DevilsTonic
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Soo Goatsie, what do you think about racing now? :lol:

rybo
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Poor guy, asks a question and opens a family size can o' worms.....

To sum up:

Racing is fun, expensive and not done at IMI. You will never have trouble finding a spare opinion or two at the track, however. The MRA is a great group of people and I enjoy the race weekends.

Trackdays are also fun. They are less expensive, done at IMI and bring a good group of people together. It's a great place to test the water and see if you want to race and learn a lot in terms of rider skill.

Smooth is good, crashing is bad.

Scott

eklew
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 05:28 PM
What??? I thought we were racing when we all get together at IMI!!!! Damn it all to hell.

Bueller
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM
What??? I thought we were racing when we all get together at IMI!!!! Damn it all to hell.
Sorry, it ain't racing until you are paying large amounts of money to someone to do alot fewer laps per session.

Feathered upstart!
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I wish my tard was ready:banghead:

Bueller
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Which one? Aprilia?

Feathered upstart!
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Tarding my XR400. I just have so many projects draining money right now and it hasnt made it high enough on the list yet:turtle:

Bueller
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Oh, thought you had a deposit on an SXV

PsychoMike
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
so to the racer. all i hear is its expensive and blah blah blah.

is it worth it?

Bueller
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 07:05 PM

is it worth it?
That is entirely up to you.

Mel
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM

is it worth it?

I'll tell you what...you can give me your money, I will race under your name and let you know :D

cosp600rr
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Last years was my first year racing and it was worth every penny. I'll race next year and probably spend more and and it will still be worth every penny.

Dan Audette
Wed Nov 29th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Yep It was worth it. Every penny, operation,
broken bone. The racers I met, raced against
were family. Even direct competitors can and
will lend you anything to get you out there.
So they can race with you. I was sorry I didn't
race 20 years ago when I was young stupid.
Now I'm old and stupid and love it.
I figure it this way: Save for retirement
sit in an old folks home in a set of Depends
or spend the $$ now, and leave NOTHING
for the kids to inherit :)

-PUCK-
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM
or spend the $$ now, and leave NOTHING
for the kids to inherit :)

:lol: That's exactly what i'm planning on.

eklew
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Stop wishing to get it done!!! Just get that thing done so we can go ride!!!!!:turtle:

Lurch
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM

is it worth it?

YEP all 18 years and roughly $120,000.00 of it. Both numbers still amaze me but I finally quit last year and now I'm lost. Though I do have a little more spending money.

Lurch

PsychoMike
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM
awesome, i cant wait

DevilsTonic
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
YEP all 18 years and roughly $120,000.00 of it. :shocked: Wow, I guess I better get a few more full time jobs.

AshliRider44
Mon Dec 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM
YEP all 18 years and roughly $120,000.00 of it. Both numbers still amaze me but I finally quit last year and now I'm lost. Though I do have a little more spending money.

Lurch

Goodbye vacation home :cry:

AshliRider44
Mon Dec 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
:shocked: Wow, I guess I better get a few more full time jobs.

LMAO I just now got why you have the Spiderman pic in your sig.... :banghead:

AshliRider44
Mon Dec 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
:shocked: Wow, I guess I better get a few more full time jobs.

LMAO I just now got why you have the Spiderman movie pic in your sig.... :banghead: :oops: Holy shit, just got why (I think) MJ Watson is your sign on...... I need a bloody mary :lol:

Suki
Mon Dec 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Lurch

:crazy: great, alan was mumbling something about getting back into racing next year... :banghead: it's a good thing he SOLD ALL HIS RACING STUFF!!! now we can go shopping for more, yippee!!!! <<end sarcasm>>

:lol:

jplracing
Mon Dec 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
:crazy: great, alan was mumbling something about getting back into racing next year... :banghead: it's a good thing he SOLD ALL HIS RACING STUFF!!! now we can go shopping for more, yippee!!!! <<end sarcasm>>

:lol:

Umm Alan is racing next year and he is buying all new stuff on your credit card...remember I am in charge!

Suki
Wed Dec 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Umm Alan is racing next year and he is buying all new stuff on your credit card...remember I am in charge!

you like to stuff goats all day! :lol:

jplracing
Wed Dec 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
you like to stuff goats all day! :lol:

as usual you are not making any sense