PDA

View Full Version : Trackday Checklist? :)

konichd
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a "Trackday Checklist" that they use or find helpful when getting ready to partake in a track day?

I know you need the bike, gear, stands, trailor, etc. but are there any other "non-typical" items people find handy at the track? For instance, a canopy, where did you get one, how much etc.? Coolers, what do you bring, size of cooler, etc.?

I'm using this winter to get myself ready for the upcoming season on the track and would like to compile a checklist so I don't leave anything behind.

Thanks in advance for your input! :)

DevilsTonic
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
I just did my first track day at IMI this past weekend and here are a few things that came in handy:

Generator & Tire Warmers (cold pavement + cold tires = :down:)
air compressor / tire pressure gauge
Tools
Small cooler with water, gatorade etc
energy bars / snacks

Other than that I'll be watching this thread for tips from the more seasoned riders. :)

rforsythe
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Canopy is nice, one of those 8x8 or 10x10 Quick-Shade or EZup varieties work just fine. Also, some sort of "floor" helps keep things nice, the cheap astroturf-in-a-roll or carpet you can get from home depot works good.

I usually bring a small towel for wetting, either to wash the dirt off my face and hands or just to soak and stick on my neck for cooling. On a cold day this doesn't mean much, but when it's 95 degrees it helps a lot.

Chairs! For you and your buddy to chill in. I like those canvas ones that fold up into the bags, they store small and are way more comfy than hard plastic ones.

Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Some other non-narcotic, non-drowsy pain killer / anti-inflammatory. Sometimes a couple of these make the riding experience a lot better when you start hurting (or even just the drive home).

Also I cannot stress enough, staying hydrated. Alternate a bottle of water with one of gatorade, drinking one every time you come in. The alternation keeps your blood chemistry in balance, since you don't want to overhydrate either (which has similar symptoms as dehydration, but is much more damaging and harder to reverse). Dehydration is the #1 cause of rider fatigue, slow reflex, headaches, etc which all lead to mistakes and crashes.

There may be more I'm forgetting...

rybo
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I've created a Excel spreadsheet as a checklist for my race days so that I don't forget anything. I'll post it up when I get a chance.

Scott

konichd
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Once again Scott you've proved to be "da man!" :)

rybo
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
The proof comes when I ACTUALLY post up the checklist!

~Barn~
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Definitely +1 on the chairs and Advil. I've been doing the "take it before you hurt" routine with Advil, for even things like long canyon rides. It's extra important for trackdays when you're just constantly hammering.

And the chair(s) go w/out saying. After a handful of track sessions, not to mention time-after-time of going camping, I finally learned that you don't want to be the guy w/out a chair. :lol: It's probably the best $15 I've ever spent. Has a foot rest and everything. :yes:

Other things that I've found helpful to have around:

Ear-plugs and lots of them. You'd be surprised how easy those things are to lose, even though. "I'm just going to set them right here. Just right here!"

Paper towels and tissue (or kleenex). From cleaning messes to giving you something to hold your ham sandwich with instead of your grubby hands, to just blowing your nose. Priceless.

Extra clothes. Want something cooler? warmer? dryer? Sun go down, sun come out? Is your buddy/girlfriend freezing and never going to join you again?

Something to play music on. Whether you wanna just rock your ipod into your own headphones, or plug some speakers into your laptop and get all multimedia on everybody, it definitely helps the time go easier when you're waiting for your next session, or wrenching on your bike, or having lunch.

Extra keys. To everything. See how pissed off you'll be if you somehow manage to lose your ignition key, or lock your car keys (and helmet) in your car. Or maybe you're like me, and use your streetbike for your trackdays, and you ride it off from the track to somewhere in Utah for dinner at Outback, and you lose your disklock key. Yup... spares to everything. And give them to somebody else to hold for you!
(The Outback thing didn't really happen to me, but the rest pretty much has.)

Great thread by the way.
:up:

rforsythe
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Extra keys. To everything. See how pissed off you'll be if you somehow manage to lose your ignition key, or lock your car keys (and helmet) in your car.

Haha, that reminds me of Yogurt's first race. What I'm reminded of are the many people who were trying to get into the tank to add gas, and hotwire the harness just to get the damn thing running, when he left the key at home. I don't remember if they actually "rigged" the bike or finally gave up and sent him for the key, but it was funny to watch.

One more thing which you should do for trackdays, but hopefully never use: Keep your medical information (i.e. insurance info, emergency contact, drug allergies, pre-existing conditions, etc) available and accessible. It's one of those things you hope you never need, but in the rare but possible chance that you're lying unconscious or mentally altered on the tarmac waiting for a bus ride, it's invaluable. At MRA races the ambulance actually has every racer's medical info form in the bus with the paramedics so they can access the info immediately. At a track day they don't have that luxury, but keeping it handy is a useful thing to do. If you're there with a buddy, exchange where it's located. If you're there by yourself, keep it where someone is likely to find it if they go looking for it (if you are being loaded onto a stretcher, someone very likely will be going through your things to find your wallet and cell phone). I really think tracks should require people to fill out a form like this which they keep on file because it's that important, assuming of course they can keep it confidential.

konichd
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Does anyone have a Bike Tech form they use? Something to record suspension settings, tire pressure, etc? :)

Also track location, temp, etc.

Mel
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Everyone has mentioned great things. For reference, I think like Walmart or Sams club carrys the EXUp brand canopys for just shy of $100...the ones with the straight legs in my opinion work better because you can tether a few peoples together if you want.
I usually try and also have a small med kit...butterfly sutures (the stick on ones), gauze, diff sizes of bandages, some kind of sterile cleaning solution for wounds, ace bandages (I am brilliant when it comes to breaking bones and an ace will usually hold things in place till you get to a doctor), and the little ice packs that you break in half to make cold.

rybo
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
DK,

I keep a log book of my racebike with the things you mentioned as well as dates the oil was changed, date of tire changes, date of any service such as brake pads, fluid changes etc any significant events (crash) , suspension settings and gearing by track, tire pressure based on air/track temp etc.

I just use a small (4x6 or 5x8 ) notebook and make entries in it like a journal.

konichd
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I setup a 3 ring binder. In the front I'll have the "Trackday Checklist" and then I'll have tabs set up for IMI, Pueblo, Miller, Hastings, etc. For Miller I typed up a 8 1/2x11 form that has the Date, Track, Time, Temp, Bike settings, Notes/Comments along with a track map to make notes on. That way when I go back to certain tracks I can reference settings I had before, also what worked/didn't work.

I keep a separate manual for bike service/maintenance. I just want to try to compile the best checklist possible to improve my "prepardness" and also bike prep. :)

rybo
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Very nice...

I have a new racebike, maybe I'll check out what you've built and do something similar.

S

I setup a 3 ring binder. In the front I'll have the "Trackday Checklist" and then I'll have tabs set up for IMI, Pueblo, Miller, Hastings, etc. For Miller I typed up a 8 1/2x11 form that has the Date, Track, Time, Temp, Bike settings, Notes/Comments along with a track map to make notes on. That way when I go back to certain tracks I can reference settings I had before, also what worked/didn't work.

I keep a separate manual for bike service/maintenance. I just want to try to compile the best checklist possible to improve my "prepardness" and also bike prep. :)

Mista Black
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Don't forget to take your bike... that's key.

Archangel
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Here's my personal checklist:
http://home.comcast.net/~warrenjrose/TrackPrep.xls

konichd
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Excellent Warren! :)

jplracing
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Everyone has put up some great ideas. Personally I think one very important thing is being missed.

Never go to the track alone (even if you plan on meeting people there). Always bring a buddy/riding partner in the same vehicle. This way if something does go wrong they can make sure you/your gear get home safely.

There are never a shortage of people that will car pool to save on gas money!

Just my .02

Bueller
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Everyone has put up some great ideas. Personally I think one very important thing is being missed.

Never go to the track alone (even if you plan on meeting people there). Always bring a buddy/riding partner in the same vehicle.
Now I gotta buy a friend :(

jplracing
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM
bueller,

All you have to do is pay for my track time and possibly buy me a bike...and I am there!:drink:

Spiderman
Mon Nov 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Here's mine - it's a few years old, but it served me well before I got into racing. 8)
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/Track_Checklist.xls

Mista Black
Tue Nov 28th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Now I gotta buy a friend :(

Dave,

You let me ride your bikes and I'll be your friend :)