PDA

View Full Version : Rearsets?

konichd
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'm looking to replace the rearsets on my Kawi and was wondering what brand people use? I'm leaning towards going with Vortex rearsets and switching to GP shift. Does anyone have a set of Gilles? If so, how do you like them and why? :)

Thanks for all the input!

rybo
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 12:04 PM
DK,

The Graves stuff is nice. Easy to work on, well made, easy to find parts for.

Kendo
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I have SATO rearsets and like them a lot.

Mel
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I went with adjustable rearsets after I binned the gix and have loved them. I had ended up chatting with a guy who makes them back east and went with their brand of stuff and have been thrilled with them so far. I (luckily) haven't binned the bike again so I don't know how they hold up in an accident, but they are very lightweight, and the mechanisms were like ball bearing or something so the shift action is very smooth. Downside is that these (and a lot of aftermarket) do not include the switch to activate rear brakes on a street bike, but I so rarely use rear brake (as we know they are dangerous and therefore useless) without the front that I did not feel that to be an issue.
Here is a link: http://stores.ebay.com/OSF-Inc-Adjustable-Rearsets

You might also contact Joe LoGalbo (jplracing) and see what he might be able to do for you...he has helped me out numerous times on getting parts.

Airreed
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I just bought SATO rearsets. I did alot of research I found them to be the best all around. (I paid 425 OTD)
fyi...you can get them in anodizyed gold too!!!bling bling...

DevilsTonic
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM
hmm...stock rearsets here, but I do have GP Shift and it ROCKS! Thanks to Bob!!

Sully
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM
same... stock rearsets here... with GP shifting... it's nice.. but took me more than a minute to remember not to shift into first :shock:..SONOFA... oops !.. :slap:...

Mel
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Hey I got my GP cherry popped on the track and with someone elses bike... didn't highside though :D It only takes one misshift and you will never do it again.

konichd
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I just bought SATO rearsets. I did alot of research I found them to be the best all around. (I paid 425 OTD)
fyi...you can get them in anodizyed gold too!!!bling bling...

Where did you buy them at Jason (Performance)? My stuntin' days are over so no gold for me! :lol: Black is the new gold in the trackday world!

I'll have to look and see who actually makes rearsets for my bike. I know Vortex, Gilles, and Sato do but will have to check on Graves. Also GP shift is a must, but I'm sure they all offer that as a mounting option. :dunno:

rybo
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Why is GP shifting a must?

I'm debating making the switch, but as of right now I'm a standard shifter.

konichd
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Just through talking to people, once the switch to GP shift they say they'd never go back. I haven't heard I person say they didn't like it and switch back. Also my feet are pretty big (size 13 US ladies! ;) ) and I find it easier to kick it down accelerating then having to shift up. I want to get rearsets for two reasons really. One, I want a spare set so if I go down at the track my day isn't ruined because my footpeg broke or shifter got messed up. Second, my feet are big so it would be nice to have the adjustability of peg mounting, also being able to go from standard shift to GP is a plus (Vortex rearsets you can switch between the two)

Feathered upstart!
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Its a must because it makes people feel like a "racer" :lol:

konichd
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:22 PM
:lol: I'm sure if Nicky doesn't recover quickly from shoulder surgery Repsol will be hittin' up my celly.

~Barn~
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I can't really stand GP shifting. Then again, I don't race, and I understand the benefits you could see. If I did race though, I'd be hard pressed to make that change. I think I'd have a hard time "unlearning" the standard way.

Kendo
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I got my SATO rearsets from Kneedraggers.com ... black.

When I get home today I will snap some quick pictures of them if you are curious on how they look.

Also.... on thing to note, not sure if anyone else experienced this, but I had to put some "MEDIUM" threadlock on some of the bolts because they would start to loosen after a ride. Just dont put the red threadlock on or you will never get those bolts off again.

Bueller
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I can't go GP on the Motards, but the Buells are GP, talk about fun, learn to remember which pattern to use, even riding both types in the same track day.

Airreed
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Sexxxy (I bought the black one's)

Feathered upstart!
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Good choice

Repsol a095
Thu Nov 30th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Just ask Ken, a bolt in the place of your shifter is the best.

konichd
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM
After a little research here is what I came up with:

Vortex - $340 - 2 colors and can be switched to GP or regular shift

Gilles - $400 - 3 colors, must specify shift pattern

Sato - $495 - 3 colors, must specify shift pattern, but can order GP shifter and Rod for an extra $100 bucks.

I'm also checking on how well each one will work with a Dynojet Quickshift, I know its compatible with Vortex, but waiting to hear back on the other two rearset brands.

Any opinions? :)

rybo
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM
DK,

Check with jplracing for the quickshifter. He has another brand that he's selling for reasonable money that is convertable between standard and GP shift, the dynojet one isn't. It will still work with your powercommander.

On the rearsets....I say go cheap.

Scott

konichd
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM
How you like these Jason? Might be too good to resist!:yumyum:

DevilsTonic
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM
same... stock rearsets here... with GP shifting... it's nice.. but took me more than a minute to remember not to shift into first :shock:..SONOFA... oops !.. :slap:...lol..I've done that too. Bob was nice and put a piece of tape over my tach that said GP Shift so that I would remember. Only took me a week or so to remember it on my own :lol:

Airreed
Fri Dec 1st, 2006, 01:40 PM
Dude black on black...seXXXy.
Big boi is wearing that same color too!