PDA

View Full Version : economical cruise control; the alternative to the CAT o-ring

towneh
Sat Jan 11th, 2003, 09:42 PM
i found an alternative to the CAT hydraulic o-ring at the local Pep Boys Auto Parts shop.....

the register receipt says:
O-RINGS
0-37495-64320

for a couple of bucks you get a ziplock bag of 3 o-rings with the following dimensions:
width 3/16inch
i.d. 1-1/8inch
o.d. 1-1/2inch

it takes some getting used to and how well they work depends on how the bar-end and grip mesh. trial and error conquers all.

henry :D

Dysco
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Tried my Oto-pilot last night on the way home- very nice, but I didn't know what to do with my right hand...

Harry Biker
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Well, let's see-thisngs to do w/ my R. hand.................
pick your nose, scratch yer arse, wee willy winkie, wave to other motorcyclists w/ that R. hand so as to make them jealous etc. etc.

Greg
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I am looking into crusie control, what is this CAT hydraulic o-ring? And where can I pick one up? I was looking into the Vista Cruise throttle lock, any comments?

Dysco
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 05:08 PM
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dyscofool/hguard.front.jpg

Tha O-ring is the black rubber dealie on my bar end. You may not need a CAT one- PEP boys has generic O rings...

towneh
Tue Feb 11th, 2003, 05:14 PM
a certain tractor part could be used as a throttle lock. The part is a Caterpillar O-ring and the number is 8M-4991. Dysco's pic shows how it looks when it is NOT engaged.

The O-ring works by holding the throttle exactly where you leave it. If you roll-on and then let go of your hand, the throttle stays there and doesn't spring back like usual. Thus, you have to roll-off the throttle yourself, which makes it a dangerous device too. I would not recommend using it if you are commuting on the highway. When I first used it, it kinda scared me that I could let go of my right hand the and throttle would stick. The nice feeling of the spring in the throttle was gone. This is definitely only good for riding long distances with minimum traffic.

You can pick up the O-ring at any local Caterpillar tractor part shop, and it costs about $3, a big difference from the $125 units. You'll also notice by the pictures that this only works on handle bars with bar ends. Make sure you practice using it and keep on riding. read my response to your thread for the info on the Universal Vista Cruise....

un-huh :D