PDA

View Full Version : how do you make sure you don't buy and junk bike ?

highman56
Thu Mar 25th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I am new at buying sportbike and wanted to know what to look for and what to check out to make should i get a good like? :?

NZ Darren
Thu Mar 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Where do you live? Perhaps someone here can go with you, if your in the springs can probably look at a bike with you.

MostroS4
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 06:05 AM
I find getting to know the owner of the bike is really the best way to get a rough idea of the condition of the bike.

If the owner brags about how great the bike is at wheelies or stoppies, I'm probably going to walk away. If the owner doesn't have any real idea mechanically about the bike, forget it.

If the owner doesn't have receipts for all the major work done, I ask them details about the work, who did it and when.

So get a feel for the owner, if they were meticulous with the bike or at least performed the basic maintenance of the bike.

Then there are some tell-tale signs when you look at the bike. The first one I look at that gives me an indication of the type of attention the bike received is the chain area.

Is the chain area clean? Meaning not a build up of old lube and not lube flung everywhere.

Is the chaing tension close to correct? Do the teeth on the rear sprocket look heavily worn?

I also look at the general cleanliness of the bike. If its grimey and dirty, forget it. IMO, it means general neglect of the bike.

There are tons more stuff that I look at but the drive chain area is the first place I look.

If you don't know what to look for but you are serious about the bike, take it to a local shop and have them give it the once over. If the owner is serious about selling and has nothing to hide, they'll agree. Its better to spend a hundred now vs several hundred later...

HDave
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
this is good information too.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html#1

good luck

Anonymous
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Check the fork seals to make sure they're not leaking. When buying private, ask for maintenance records & what type of riding was done (commuting; going to a bar/restaurant to hang out with other "riders"; canyon carving; track days; stunting). When buying from a dealership, it's going to be hard to establish how it was ridden, but make sure they gave it a thorough once-over.

I didn't check the link above, but all the other suggestions are good.

*MV* #33
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 11:03 AM
First thing i would ask .. is " Can this thing wheelie?"
If they respond " hell yea I cant stand this bitch up 1st -3rd gear"
Then Dont buy.

:idea:

Rick T.
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM
First thing i would ask .. is " Can this thing wheelie?"
If they respond " hell yea I cant stand this bitch up 1st -3rd gear"
Then Dont buy.

:idea:

InGENIOUS... :up:

surfinspacegirl
Fri Mar 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
If you're buying private, also get a look at where the bike was kept. If the garage is clean and tidy, tools in their right places, obviously well looked after, chances are the owner looks after this stuff.

Alos look for signs of safety-wiring (banjo bolts, brake caliper bolts, radiator cap and oil drain plug and cap). If you see small holes drilled in those bolts, ask if the bike has been raced.

highman56
Sun Mar 28th, 2004, 06:15 PM
thank for the good advice how do you price them ? what is to much and what is good ?
:D

highman56
Sun Mar 28th, 2004, 06:15 PM
thank for the good advice how do you price them ? what is to much and what is good ?
:D

Anonymous
Sun Mar 28th, 2004, 11:00 PM
http://www.nadaguides.com/