PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend good tires?

rider955i
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I am wondering what tires I should get I usually just ride on the freeway to get to some twisties. Other than that I just ride around Denver. I am not going to be doing anything to crazy. The only thing that I might do once in a while is go to bandimier just for fun. I found some shinkos on the internet and they were pretty cheap are these junk?

Mel
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM
You are going to get a lot of varried responses to this question, and it is a matter of opinion (and what you ride?). I personally have the new(er?) Dunlop D218's on my gixxer and loved them on both street and pushing it pretty hard on the track (hated all the dunlops I had prior). I am running Metzler M's on my TLR and have liked them so far. I know a lot of people on here who swear by the Michelin Pilot Powers as well.
Probably any of your main brands are going to serve you just fine for commuter and light twisty riding, but I have never heard of the ones you listed.

rider955i
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I ride a 2002 daytona 955i

Bueller
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM
You get what you pay for, buy really cheap tires, don't expect much out of them.

rider955i
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
yeah you get what you pay for in most cases, but If I bought a really expensive track tire I know that it wouldn't be as good as sport street tire because of different temperatures. If the Shinkos are junk then i will not have a problem paying for something that is better.

Bueller
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Track and street
Apples and oranges

BigE
Sat Dec 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
For your 955i, try Pirelli Diablo Strada's if you're wanting a bit of extra mileage, they are sport-touring tires that will hold their own in the twisties as long as you're not trying to be a hero. I had a set on my Sprint RS and was very pleased with them, am now on Metz M1 sport tires that I got from silent auction at R2SL last year and they are nice too, just wearing fairly quick as most sports tires do.
FWIW, my main riding is commuting between Loveland and Boulder with some weekend runs and highway use running down to Denver on a Sprint RS 955i.

Mista Black
Sun Dec 10th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Dunlop 220's

Nick_Ninja
Sun Dec 10th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Vanmar

Lomax
Sun Dec 10th, 2006, 12:34 PM
For longer mileage I would say Dunlop 220 or Michelin Pilot Road.

For good all around tires I would say Michelin Pilot Power or Metzler M3.

Marc

konichd
Tue Dec 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Dunlop Qualifiers! :)

Fly boy
Tue Dec 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
pirelli diablo's