PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: 1 on baffles 1 on wiring

Airreed
Mon Mar 29th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Two part question here,

Im looking at getting some Jardine slipon pipes for my RC51, what's the difference between RACE and STREET baffles?

Second question:

Do most of you soder your light wires together after doing mods to them (ie flushmounts). Currently i have them connected with "electrical connectors, but one fell off they other day).

Thanks for the help

Jason

Bertha
Mon Mar 29th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Street and Race is the difference in the opening at the end of the can, Race will be a larger opening... thus louder.... street will have a smaller opening keeping it quieter and not letting the exhaust gasses out as quick.

As far as wiring goes you can always you a connector it's a little tube like thing with metal inside, you strip both ends of the wire, put them in to the connector ---===--- and squeeze the middle with pliers. It will then make a good connection and keep it dry, or you can always tie the ends together and get some shrink wrap.

Jeff B
Mon Mar 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Jason-
If your going to use crimp style solderless connectors, use the 3M brand that has heat shrink tubing over the connector. I get them from Grainger through my job. I'm sure Home Depot/Lowes has them. Crimp the wire as you normally would with a solderless connector then heat the outer plastic shield. It will shrink around the crimp. Pretty good stuff.
IMO the only way to connect wires is to solder and heat shrink.

EliR6
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I'm guessing that the reason the connectors came off is because you used the wrong size for the wire you're using. If you have the right size, and you get a good crimp, that connection should last a long time. And like Jeff B said, get the ones with the shrink tubing on them, they're better.

IMO the only way to connect wires is to solder and heat shrink.
Depends on the application. For my flushmounts on the front, I use the bullet style connectors (crimp on one end) because when I take my fairings off, I need to be able to unplug the lights from the wiring harness. If it's a relatively permanent application, then I agree. Nothing beats solder/shrink wrap for a good solid connection.

Eli

Anonymous
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Actually, soldering can be bad in automotive applications due to the vibrations. The solder wicks down into the wire as you apply it (unless care is taken to avoid this) and as it flexes over time, it can eventually break. Even normal solder connections can come apart. If you must use solder, make sure you apply some kind of strain/vibration relief into the connection.

The crimp connectors are generally the way to go, since they can safely flex without breaking the connection or the wire. If they're used correctly they won't go anywhere. If yours are coming off, you messed up.

Hozerking
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM
the jardine race cans are loud! a friend had the two -1 on his RC and they were loud! compared to my Leos they were LOUD.

I tend to use crip connectors, male on one end and female on the other and I alternate them to ease assembly. If the soldering iron is handy I will sometimes sauder the wire to the connector after it has been crimped! ... its over kill but it works! if you get the connectors that alrady have the shield on them then you are set, they are pretty much moisture proof! If you really want to be anal you can put a piece of heat shrink on the connectors. Also, I try not to make permanent changes to the stock wiring so I will tend to keep the stock connectors and splice into the wire somwhere down stream, also^2 the reason for the connectors is so that I can take things apart later without cutting wires.

-al

-al

KooLaid
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM
THe race cans are nothing more than glass packs, straight through. Street baffles are actually chambers I believe. Street baffles I've heard sound like ass though. They tend to make inline 4's buzz. As for Jardine, I'm 99% sure that the Race cans are several dollars cheaper than the street cans too. $465 for a set of aluminum race slip ons for the RC-51.

Have you considered the full system 2 into 1 set up? The pricing is pretty the same as the dual slip ons. Not sure what the performance advantage the 2 into 1 system has over the slips though. I'd go with the Race cans.

Bertha
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Yes always go with race... street is GHEY! Kinda like Hoopty

Airreed
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 09:33 AM
thanks for the help on the wires

Im getting the race and they are cheaper too(more beer money).

Jason