PDA

View Full Version : Fork ?

Bertha
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 10:42 PM
OK so Yes I'm gonna get shit for this... But I DON"T CARE!!! :D

How hard is it to change the fork oil? is there anything that I NEEED to know before doing it? Got a 2001 F4i...

Anonymous
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 11:16 PM
FORK YOU BUDDY!!! :x

nah j/k. It's not hard. Buy service manual, read instructions, get drunk, change oil. Simple as that! ;)

Bertha
Tue Mar 30th, 2004, 11:28 PM
ahh ok got the manual, and beer.. i guess it can be done!

KooLaid
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 12:49 AM
need a front stand that lifts by either the stem or lower triple. I need to get my F4i done too, but might either pay bash (bashed bikes) to do it or see if Yakuza (alex) might be able to help out for a few bucks in the process. I have the factory manual, but it looks a a wee bit confusing. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

irdave
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 07:22 AM
Yeah, changing the fork oil is a snap; once you've got all the tools.

Front stand that lifts by the triple clamp (or equivalent); (and a rear stand)

ALL the regular hand tools (including big socket to take the wheel off...)

Fork oil height gauge (About 35 bucks from motion pro, 100 for the nice one from Race Tech)

Cleaning stuff

Something big to dump it in so you don't make too much of a mess

Torque wrench

...and lots of caution when putting it back together- it's easier than you would think to screw stuff up in there.

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 08:56 AM
don't forget about the fork seal reseating tool. when pete (marilou's husband) and i did my fork seals, we were just about ready to finish it up and then we find out we needed a special tool to put the new seals in :roll:

Hoopty
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 10:16 AM
A piece of PVC pipe with the right diameter works well for this, Chadwick. :D

irdave
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 11:49 AM
You can change the fork oil without pulling the seals out. And on an upside down fork, you can't use the pvc pipe trick- gotta' have the seal drivers.

But I also forgot about if it's an upside down fork, you need a fork spring compressor, too. Decent one from Race Tech is 100 clams. Sweet one from Traxxion is like 3. I bought a full set of the nice seal drivers... Not cheap.

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 01:03 PM
A piece of PVC pipe with the right diameter works well for this, Chadwick. :D
:idea:

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
You can change the fork oil without pulling the seals out. And on an upside down fork, you can't use the pvc pipe trick- gotta' have the seal drivers.

But I also forgot about if it's an upside down fork, you need a fork spring compressor, too. Decent one from Race Tech is 100 clams. Sweet one from Traxxion is like 3. I bought a full set of the nice seal drivers... Not cheap.
remind me to call you next time i do my seals :up:

KooLaid
Thu Apr 1st, 2004, 12:48 AM
f4i, non-invert fork. Might want to measure the amount ur fork legs stick through the top triple for assembly time. Also not certain, BUT I don't think the clip ons mount in one position the way the R6's do. The F4i clip on's might just spin around on the fork legs, so you may need to somehow figure out the angle. Anyone know for certain on the F4i???

yakuza
Thu Apr 1st, 2004, 09:41 AM
Stock fork height is 33mm above the upper triple clamp, it's in the service manual. The stock clipons had tabs so you know how to line up the clipons. We marked my aftermarket clipons with a pencil so they line up quickly and easily.

KooLaid
Thu Apr 1st, 2004, 02:40 PM
You the man alex! I was freaked out I wouldn't be able to line my clip ons properly so I've been sand bagging the idea of rebuilding my forks.

yakuza
Thu Apr 1st, 2004, 02:57 PM
I've had my forks on and off enough to probably do them in my sleep. :)