Thread: Signature size rules - Is your sig too big?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Signature size rules - Is your sig too big?

It seems that there are more and more signatures getting bigger and bigger, some taking up almost a whole page (depending on your screen resolution). This is starting to get out of hand and needs to stop, now.

Here are the new rules for sig sizes:

Overall height: Cannot make your user info box (that appears on the left beside your posts) taller than it would be with a one-line text-only response, in regular font size, without a sig. Here is an example using my user info box & sig... a one-line, text-only response with my sig is no bigger than it is without it:

Edit: further clarification, taken from post #8: The concern here is the overall sig height, text and image(s) combined. If your sig consisted of ONLY an image, I suppose it could be up to 175 pixels tall (I say "suppose" because I'm guessing at the available space with an avatar and profile fields filled out). If you want text and an image, then the height should be reduced accordingly.
    Here's another way to look at it - when you're editing your Signature, and Previewing your changes, the bottom of the sig box should not be lower than the bottom of the "box" framing "Pictures & Albums" in the menu to the left:

Edit: If you have a combination of text and images and have run out of vertical room for your sig, but have room horizontally, send me a PM and I can help you format it to take advantage of that horizontal space, like mine.

Overall Width of Images: 700 pixels wide. This is to ensure the pages display properly. If multiple images are used, the total space taken by all images should not exceed 700 pixels.

Maximum Image Filesize: The total filesize of signature images, including cases where multiple images are used, should not exceed 60K. This is to ensure that users with low-bandwidth connections can still enjoy the site.
    Last edited by Spiderman; Sat May 18th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.