Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Security

Motorcycle Security

Hello, all;

I'm looking for some suggestions on motorcycle security, namely locks. I currently have a Bell coil lock, which I wrap around the back wheel and frame, and a factory installed alarm system, as well as the fork lock. I guess I'm looking for a better lock for the rear and one I can wrap around the front wheel and fork that can also be locked to a stationary object. I work in DTC until 2am and I just want my bike to be there when I leave. So....any thoughts on what I can try and where to buy?
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Re: Motorcycle Security

Hire a rent-a-cop with a shot gun to stand by it all night!!!

Well....I kind of do that myself at home with my .357 mag. However, they kind of frown on that at work!
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

yeah i guss some people might not like it. have you thought about taking it in side your place of employment?

Cool Re: Motorcycle Security

Wouldn't work...not allowed. There is a bike rack on the other side of the building (the blind side), so that's out. I figure if I could get a very good quality chain & lock, I could tie it to a pole under my office window. So, it would have to be long enough to wrap around the frame, fork, front tire and a stationary object (and not weigh a ton). I'd park in a spot when I got to work at 4pm, but after 6pm, I'd be able to pull it up on the sidewalk and tie it down. So....any recommendations on a good chain/lock combo? Any other suggestions?
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Ive never had to lock my bike up.so i dont know what a good chain and lock would be. i have seen this chain call the New York or somthing like that. its a really heavy chain, also they make some whell locks with alerms im them. I would probly go down to Performance Cycle and talk to the guys down there. matbe look at Lo Jack to. if any thing ever hapend 99% of the time you get your bike back and that 1% that don't get there bikes back the get the cash to replace it. i dont think its to bad of an investment if your on a shady side of town.

lojack, or maybe one of those scorpio alarms. (@kneedraggers.com) it's a little pager linked to a motion sensor on your bike, so you recieve a page when someone is trying to lie your already lock bike into the back of a truck and deal with it from there.

Thanks for the info, people. And, yes, the Denver Tech Center IS becoming a shady part of town. I'v heard of several bikes as well as cars taken while people were at work. I did hear of and see that NY lock. I've seen the Xena wheel locks with the alarm built in. I guess I'm just trying to go with something I could strap the bike to. I'm also thinking of a bike cover. I need to get one since my original is on my wife's scooter. So, to run it down, this would be the ultimate setup: chain and lock around the rear tire and frame (which I have), alarm system (already have), bike cover and a chain and lock for strapping it to an immovable object. Does this sound good, or is it overkill? I'd just hate to get out of work at 2am and find myself with a 10 mile hike!
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Hmmm, where do you work??? j/k Unfortunately you can use as many locks as you want, if the vandals want to steal your bike, they will get it. I think that if I was in your position, I would use LoJack if possible. Back in Cali, the best my friends could do besides using a garage was to wrap a chain around a stationary pole or something. They would also try to park it where it would be hard for 4 people to try to lift the bike away. Good luck.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Other than 10mm hollow point.. I've been happy w/ my Onguard lock that goes on the front rotor. The only issue is it is pretty heavy duty so it takes up a bunch of room under the rear seat cover. I would use something like that plus always lock up to a light pole or unmovable object with a shielded chain or cable, since a couple of guys could just lift the locked bike into a van otherwise.

Yeah...I hear ya. What do you think of your Onguard? Which one do you have? Have you looked at locks and chains?
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

scorpio alarm, S&W .45, mossberg 12 guage, german sheppard with bad attitude that sleeps in garage. if someone wants mine bad enough they can try
    04 RC51

The Onguard seems pretty decent. I got the one with the U-shaped padlock that goes through the holes in the rotor. Other than that I just went to Walmart and got a coated cable that uses a padlock to run through the frame and hook to whatever can't be easily moved. Thats about all you can do - otherwise if they want it bad enough they'll find a way to take. Just make as much of a pain in the ass for them as possible.

Cool..thanks, guys. Appreciate the info. I guess I'll get something that can fit in a backpack along with my other chain (actually a cable,which I'm planning on maybe replacing). Who knows? I may be lugging around 20 lbs of chains...oh well. The Bell Precinct Motorcycle Cable Lock I got from Wal-mart. I don't remember seeing anything thicker or heavier. I'll check them out again. Hey, InlineSIX24, exactly what did you get from Wal-mart?
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Walmart and Home Depot/Lowes sell the Brinks coated cables that are about .5" thick w/ the looped ends for padlocks.

Cool...I'll take a look and get a great lock for it once the snow clears since the bike is locked up at home.Thanks.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

The ONLY security chain worth spending even ten cents on imho is the almax series of chains. They are very far from cheap but like you said if you want your bike to be where you left it there is no other product worth even considering. I just bought the series three 2.5m and why it may be overkill its nice to know it cant be cut even with portabile hydraluic bolt cutters.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by hrvstofsrrw
    The ONLY security chain worth spending even ten cents on imho is the almax series of chains. They are very far from cheap but like you said if you want your bike to be where you left it there is no other product worth even considering. I just bought the series three 2.5m and why it may be overkill its nice to know it cant be cut even with portabile hydraluic bolt cutters.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    edited i see where you will be using this for work and even though these chains arent what id call portable mine weighs 40 pounds, perhaps you could leave it at work or something to that affect.

Sounds like it's a good, cool chain. I was at Wal-Mart this morning at 0230 and I looked around and got a Brinks cabe/lock combo. It's about 15mm and 6' long. It seems to be more secure than the Bell cable/lock I have on the rear tire. Maybe I'll find something else for the fork and dump the Bell and use the Brinks on the rear instead. The reason for putting a cable around the rear tire and frame is I just want people to see more than one security lock. I figure with that, a cable or chain strapping the fork to a pole or such, and an alarm with stickers should make them want to look elsewhere. I'll definitely check that chain out, tho.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

im in lakewood/conifer depending on the day if you would like to maybe come by some time and check it out. I got the longest chain with the best lock and with shipping it totaled nearly 400 dollars so like i said not cheap but i think when you see it you will understand why they charge what they do.

That's a nice chunk of change (or should is say "chain"). A little more than I want to spend, tho. I was thinking in the $100 - $150 range. Guess I'll keep looking, but, thanks.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

You could always do this!
    Last edited by Mac020; Sun May 18th, 2008 at 07:06 AM.

Uh....who knows? Gonna be hard to get it up to the office, tho!
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac020
    You could always do this!
    Hahaha, that's my buddy Ricky from San Jose!!!!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/