Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack or Stands

Jack or Stands

So I am looking at getting either stands or a motorcycle jack so I can work on my bike. I have never used either and was wondering how well the motorcycle jacks work on sportbikes and if they are stable? Or should I go with stands because they are good for storage? I can get a jack cheaper then stands but I want what is most stable to work on a bike and the most convient.

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Jack or Stands

If you are going to be doing a lot of work, it is nice to have both. I like my Pit Bull rear stand but a Jack would be a lot easier for doing front end work and getting the bike up to a level where I can work ceomfortably.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I want to lean towards the jack but I am not sure how stable it will be I have heard mixed views ans was hoping somebody that has are still uses a jack can give me some insight.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I have a set of Putbull stands (spooled rear and front triple pin stand) and I have never needed anything else to work on them. They are extremely stable, can get on bike, start it, and engage gears while on the stands without it even shifting around. If you have a Honda or Harley or something that you have to work on all the time, it might be nice to have both stands and jack, but otherwise most anything you need to do can be done with a good set of spooled/triple stands.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    .... If you have a Honda or Harley or something that you have to work on all the time, it might be nice to have both stands and jack, but otherwise most anything you need to do can be done with a good set of spooled/triple stands.
    Oh no you dinnuh!!!
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I have and use both.
    Stands are better for sportbikes since most sportbikes don't have bottom frame rails for the jack to line up on. On my pop's cruiser the jack works fine.
    I've got the cheap Handy Industries stands and they have worked great and only cost like $100/pr.
    Where the jack comes in handy is when you want to pull the triples off, something you can't do with stands.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger
    I want to lean towards the jack but I am not sure how stable it will be I have heard mixed views ans was hoping somebody that has are still uses a jack can give me some insight.
    Im in your boat.... I have a 3 ton car jack, can i use that with a 2x6?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

I've used a pair of jack stands when I've had to change out my rear shock, or change the swingarm. Placement is kind of tricky, I think I've tried to use the rearsets, but it's been a while and I can't remember if that was successful, or if I had to use alternate placements. Otherwise, the front and rear pit bull stands work great for most everything.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I've used a pair of jack stands when I've had to change out my rear shock, or change the swingarm. Placement is kind of tricky, I think I've tried to use the rearsets, but it's been a while and I can't remember if that was successful, or if I had to use alternate placements. Otherwise, the front and rear pit bull stands work great for most everything.

that is what I have read from all.... I still want to know if a regular Jack.... not pitbull stands.... will work?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

regular jack, like a car jack? or these:
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    regular jack, like a car jack? or these:
    +

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy
    +
    =bike lying on it's side

noted.... Will not do! Thanks for the warning

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy
    noted.... Will not do! Thanks for the warning
    What are you afraid of ben, it's already been there.

HA, true, but not with all the fairings one

If you are going to buy stands buy Pit Bull. I have been racing for 11 years now and have seen/used just about every stand out there.
    Pit Bull are pretty much bomb proof. Several years ago i saw a racer who used his Pit Bull rear stand to help support his 6X10 enclosed race trailer when changing a flat tire.
    I have had my Pit Bulls for 8 years now with no issues.
    Also how often can you buy and use a product for years and sell it used for 80% plus of what you bought it for??
    Mike Applehans
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

You guys are going to love this.

I orginally responded to this guy when the lift was advertised on craigslist for $550.00

He finally responded yesterday (over a week from when I orginally tried to contact him) and said that he had a sale fall through and was curious to if I was still interested. He proceeded to explain that his price was firm, which was fine because of the cost new and the demand for these used.

I told him that I was not going to be able to get to him until Saturday and I didn't expect him to hold it for me seeing that I didn't have a deposit on it. I agreed that he should relist it on craigslist or whereever and if somebody got to it before I could then I was out of luck.

Well he relisted it for sale, but raised the price from $550 to $600. I personally can't stand when people are playing pricing games like this. Even though it is still a pretty good deal...this guy can forget getting any of my money just because of the principal of it all. If you are going to advertise something for one price it shouldn't change because people are interested.

Ok Ranting over you may continue with your day.

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Find the add where is said 550 and bring that with you and only pay him 550. I had a friend that did the same thing, a gixxer was going from 37, to 3500, to 2800, then back to 3200. My friend said, paying 2800 only, and they guy took it.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

I could very easily do that....I have just choosen to not deal with people that are playing those types of games.

With that said you can get one from Harbor Freight for $375 or something

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Actually you can get one at Harbor Freight for $299!!!!
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Yep, my Pop just got one of the Harbor Freight ones. I haven't got a chance to check it out since had my knee surgery weds.
    If anyone is interested in a rear stand I have Lockhart Phillips that I'd sell for $40, not fancy but it works, just extra stuff laying around the garage.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Here is the one at Harbor Freight for $299.
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=91764

I also have a coupon from them right now to get 15% off one item. I guess I'll share it with all of you.

You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Think I am going with stands, since I am on a budget I will start with a rear one that suppourts both spooled and non-spooled bikes. Thanks for all the input, info, and entertainment.