Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle Security

Re: Motorcycle Security

it is possible to get smaller chains and you could get away with using a master lock check out there website, another nearly as good brand for alot less money is squire.

I will. Thanks, hrvstofsrrw. Appreciate it.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

About ten years ago I had an alarm while living in Orlando FL that worked pretty good. It had a paging system, perimiter sensor, tilt sensor, and maybe something else. I remember it being a Gorilla brand and only paid about 120 for it. Once I moved back to TX I had no need for one, but am tempted to get another one since moving up here. Anytime my roommate and I would go out and get back late, he would always park his bike real close to mine (kickstand to kickstand style) so the perimiter sensor would cover both bikes. I liked that you could set it very sensitive or not and it would chirp when someone was too close. Fuck it, I'm getting another one..

I got one that was made by Scorpion for christmas just installed it this weekend. Works pretty good has a shock sensor tilt sensor and adj. perimiter sensor. It has a paging system that is supposed to work up to 2 miles away.

I also forgot to mention that I took a hammer drill and drilled a 1/2" hole into the concrete curb where I park and placed an anchor with a big eyelet so I could run a cable into it and onto the bike. I always kept the bike covered in thinking that someone might not be tempted if they didn't know what under it. I figure any little thing that might take time from them to steal it is in my favor.

Oh, yeah. The bike came with an alarm. Motion detector and all. At home in the garage, I keep it and my wife's scooter bolted down. Plus my garage and house are alarmed. If they get past it, they'll be kissing my .357 mag! It's just at work I'm concerned with.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

If you park in the same place at work all the time, try to bolt it down up there as well. Maybe you have a coworker that will let you chain it to his/her truck or something like that.

personally i think alarms are next to useless i had one on my bike and all they did was clip the wires right away loaded her in a van and off they went. I was lucky enough to get it back but will not take chances in the future hence the heavy duty chain.

Hire Big Black from Rob & Black to stand by it when you park it.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

There are a couple of trailers here at work I can hook it to. I'm on the 2nd floor and I park directly beneath my window. If the alarm goes off, i'll hear it. If someone pulls up, I'll hear them.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Just for the record, the Bell Precinct Lock I had on my wife's scooter quit working! The key won't make it budge, so it won't lock at all. The BPL I have on my bike's rear tire will now be moved to her scoot. The Brinks cable I have on the front of my bike will now be moved to the rear which means I'll be looking for a REAL chain or cable for the front to secure the bike to an immoveable object when I'm at work. Follow me? The saga continues....
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

Man now I am all paranoid. Does anyone know if LoJack for bikes is available here.. I was thinking it wasn't? The alarm only really works if you are big and scary enough to go out and kick the peoples ass that are trying to steal your bike, otherwise they will just laugh and load it up and clip the alarm wires (as previously mentioned).

You lock your bike down in your own garage? fuck!

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

yes there are a frew places here in colorado that do install lo jack. go to lo jacks web site www.lojack.com/bike lock for the dealer link and go from there.

Yeah, I lock it and my wifes scooter down to the ground with a chain in the garage, which is alarmed. And I live in a great neighborhood! Only problem is, I've heard of bikes stolen from garages, so, I guess I'm paranoid, too. I have a chopper chained in my bake yard. I just upped my fence to 6 feet with a gate and deadbolt. The chopper is protected by the motion detector mounted on the house which triggers my house alarm if it stays on more than 30 seconds. That's when the .357 comes out! I'm not too worried about the bikes when they're at home. It's just at work. Way too many bikes are stolen in the DTC area, so I'm just trying to be prepared.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

man, y'all must live and work in the ghetto. I think I'd park mine in the living room if it had to come down to chaining it down in my own garage. I could lock my "walk thru" garage door and it would be fairly secure. I mostly work at home, so I don't have to worry much about parking at the office. Buy an ugly bike and park next to people with shiney, expensive looking bikes, maybe they will take theirs instead of yours?

~tommy
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

Not to be a dick or anything, but the chances of anyone stealing a Chinese economy bike is probably as big of a risk as having your Yugo pinched. Just my .02

Actually I live and work in a very affluent neighborhood. Border of Aurora and Centennial is my home. DTC is where I work. And I've seen lesser bikes get stolen right out of even better neighborhoods, like Highlands Ranch. The point is, at any time, some lowlife will steal anything, so why make it easy? This isn't the only bike I ride, it's just my newest one. There's also my custom chopper!
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

Oh, and don't forget...the Chinese Economy Bike is just a commuter! Doesn't mean I want it stolen, tho!
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

My bike has a alarm but the previous owner didn't know about and it had no keyfob and no place seems to know how it works
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

That sucks, dude. You may have to get a new alarm. Or if you can find out the manufacturer by checking out the unit, maybe they can send you a remote. Good luck, dude.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

greetings old_skl et al,
    regarding lock/chain combos and the like. i have the following units, using them alone or in combination as conditions/locations warrant:

NY shackle (s_arm to rear wheel spoke)
    NY fuhgitaboutit chain combo (chain it to something that can't b moved)
    generic disc lock
    generic clutch lever sandwich lock

east coast, west coast, and all around the town.... bout 50k miles.

--simple is good--
    bus henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Sounds like a cool setup, dude. How much do those chains weigh?
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!

there is a cost.... the chain weighs about 4.5 pounds (about the same as 3/4 gallons of gas) made of some strong alloy.
    --slows em down, makes them think about it, then they see the shackle--
    bus henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Yeah, I see what you mean. I picked up Master Lock Python the other day. It's 8 ft long, so at least I can strap the bike to a lamp post at work. So, for now, it'll be the Python going thru the frame and front wheel to a post, the Brinks cable going thru the frame and back wheel, and finally the alarm (with a flashing light). Like you, I want the scum out there to see more than one device, so they'll look elsewhere.
    Nuff said.

olds_cool

Don't Be a SQUIDIOT!