Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got any plans for rides this year?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Got any plans for rides this year?

Ok, so while we're waiting for the snow-packed and slush-filled streets to look like our Colorado streets again, ie. safe enough for riding, I thought maybe we could talk about a ride or two you plan on doing this year.

I have no idea how many riders here actually enjoy long trips on their bikes. I know many of you go on group rides out of Morrison. I was wondering how many of us also like those small group, or solo rides that may take all day, or even a coupla days? Oh, and then of course, there's groups that take the trip out to the "Dragon" every year, as well.

So, let's see...how to start my dreaming of better days and fun riding...hmmmm?

Well, one ride I'd like to do goes from Loveland (where I live), up through Ft. Collins and then up Poudre Canyon to Walden. Then from Walden to Kremmling. Kremmling to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and then home again through Thompson Canyon to Loveland. That would take about a day long, especially if I stop for lunch and pics along the way.

There's a coupla stops where you can get some amazing scenery like on the other side of Cameron Pass before getting to Walden. There's a ranger station and a moose made completely of barbed wire standing out front. Then there's Grand Lake Lodge. It's been around since the early 1900's. They serve an amazing bowl of Baked French Onion soup. The scenery from the lodge is heavenly, too. Up on top of Trail Ridge, there are a coupla hikes to the tops of a coupla ridges. The hikes aren't too long, and when you get to the top, the views are 360 and absolutely breath-taking.

So, what d'ya plan on doing this year? Trips? Races? Weekend group rides up the canyon and back?
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Got any plans for rides this year?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover
    Well, one ride I'd like to do goes from Loveland (where I live), up through Ft. Collins and then up Poudre Canyon to Walden. Then from Walden to Kremmling. Kremmling to Grand Lake. Then from Grand Lake over Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park and then home again through Thompson Canyon to Loveland.
    I usually try to do this ride at least once a year, thought instead of going through Kremmling I take 125 from Walden straight to Granby, that's an awesome road. I've done it in as little as 4 hours, but that's at a pretty spirited pace and stopping only for gas. It usually takes about 6-7 hours at a normal pace and with regular stops.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

I have a couple rides in the works. One is heading up to Montana going through yellow stone. The other is going up to sturgis with a couple bikes and a follow vehicle for the beer

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Hmmm, ride the Continental Divide...now, that may be something I'll have to think seriously about. Sounds absolutely wonderful, too. Thanks, Jeff.

Oh, yeah and Gecco, that's the road I meant (125). I think I was confused about a trip I took coming from the south through Silverthorn last summer.

I've also wondered about going through Yellow Stone and then heading up to Glacier Natl. Park in Montana.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

1948-2011 - R.I.P. Lifetime Supporter Scruff Dog's Avatar

I plan on doing the big Wyoming loop this summer. North to Devils Tower, west to Yellowstone, south to Flamming Gorge, and southeast to home. Wyoming is a great state if you stay out of the middle. This would probably be a 4 day trip.
    2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
    2005 Yamaha R1
    2001 Corvette Z06

i have the group ride in red lodge,montana planned in early july.
    i also once a year do a quick trip through trail ridge road.
    this year as well will be the cfrsr group rides.
    steamboat and southern.
    other than that,the typical weekend rides(where i will try to slow down)and a couple side adventures to try some new roads.
    i'm getting bored with the same ones.
    i have a friend that lives in westminster and there are a few roads around him i would like to sample.
    golden gate and a few others
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Speaking of south...how 'bout the "Million Dollar Highway"? Down by Durango, Silverton, Telluride? Also, if ya want some "cliff-hangers", how about Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I haven't been on those roads in several years. Not sure what condition they are in, but they may be worth the bother soon.

i don't know any of those routes.
    care to show me and freda around.
    i promise to behave

Speaking of south...how 'bout the "Million Dollar Highway"? Down by Durango, Silverton, Telluride? Also, if ya want some "cliff-hangers", how about Black Canyon of the Gunnison? I haven't been on those roads in several years. Not sure what condition they are in, but they may be worth the bother soon.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Quote Originally Posted by daemon
    i don't know any of those routes.
    care to show me and freda around.
    i promise to behave
    I'd love to, Mike. Warning, though. They are much longer routes and in Southern CO. So, they may be overnight trips at best. But, since this is your first full year here, you'll be blown away with some of the scenery.

I'm thinking about saving up. Being a teacher and with 3 kids kinda throws a wrench into my plans if I wait til Spring to start saving. Keep in touch, though.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    Yeah, we're gonna do that Steamboat ride again.....Right Jeff?
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I'd love to, Mike. Warning, though. They are much longer routes and in Southern CO. So, they may be overnight trips at best. But, since this is your first full year here, you'll be blown away with some of the scenery.

I'm thinking about saving up. Being a teacher and with 3 kids kinda throws a wrench into my plans if I wait til Spring to start saving. Keep in touch, though.
    saving up????
    overnight????
    heck yeah....i'm up for it
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain."

golden gate and a few others
    Golden Gate's still my favorite ride near town, enjoy! Go left at the end and celebrate a nice morning ride with a buffet lunch and an afternoon of poker =)
    '06 GSX-R 1000
    We have here a message from the National Pancake Institute: F--k Waffles
    "Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English & bad English." -- Korben Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    an afternoon of poker =)
    after a long ride....i rarely have the energy for that
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain."

saving up????
    overnight????
    heck yeah....i'm up for it
    Here's an idea:

Take out your Colorado map. See if you can follow this route.

Start out going down to C470 and take the hwy285 turnoff going south.
    South on 285 down to Buena Vista and then Salida.
    Keep going south until you reach Monte Vista.
    Then go west to Durango.
    Take hwy550 (the Million Dollar Highway) north to Silverton and then Montrose.
    From Montrose, go East to Gunnison (part of this is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison) and then Salida again.
    Then start back north to Granite, Aspen, Carbondale, and eventually Glenwood Springs.
    Then take I-70 all the way back to I-25 and home again.

okay!!!!
    so that would be an overnighter!!!

when planned????

Here's an idea:

Take out your Colorado map. See if you can follow this route.

Start out going down to C470 and take the hwy285 turnoff going south.
    South on 285 down to Buena Vista and then Salida.
    Keep going south until you reach Monte Vista.
    Then go west to Durango.
    Take hwy550 (the Million Dollar Highway) north to Silverton and then Montrose.
    From Montrose, go East to Gunnison (part of this is the Black Canyon of the Gunnison) and then Salida again.
    Then start back north to Granite, Aspen, Carbondale, and eventually Glenwood Springs.
    Then take I-70 all the way back to I-25 and home again.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Only I will remain."

I have no idea, Mike. That was just a for instance, spur of the moment trip plan I came up with this morning in between classes.

But, if I were to do something like that then I would plan on making it an overnight. I would also wait for summer weather to make that trip. There are several high mountain passes on that trip that can get pretty chilly even in the summer, as well as rain/sleet. So, coming down from those passes into some heat would be a great way to warm back up quickly.

It is a good idea, though and I've got some time to consider it. I'll think about what area would be the best place to stop for the overnight and post that later.

Gonna try again this summer to get an Iron Butt ride done.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

I'm just hoping to be able to ride again and have my leg and ankle healed up!
    Kathy, instead of coming back on 70 on your Durango trip, come back on 50
    Been thinking of doing a SS1000-1500, not really an IB thing but just to get some miles in over a weekend...and I guess if I do it may as well send off for the sticker.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigE
    I'm just hoping to be able to ride again and have my leg and ankle healed up!
    Kathy, instead of coming back on 70 on your Durango trip, come back on 50
    Been thinking of doing a SS1000-1500, not really an IB thing but just to get some miles in over a weekend...and I guess if I do it may as well send off for the sticker.
    Hey Eric...you should come see us up at the Haus on Thursday if you've not got anything else to do. I've heard of the IB, but not the SS1000-1500. Maybe you could clue me in. I'm thinking I've got the stamina for something like that as well. I really love to ride...oh, have I said that before?

I love doing these long rides. Last summer I did the Pouder canyon to Hwy 40 I think there was some other roads in there and down to I70. it was 330 miles form door to door lol. Some of my friends and I have been planing a ride to Vegas this summer. I'm up for any rides any one wants to go on. There so many good roads to Ride here in Colorado. I,ve also been thinking about some of the roads by Dinosare national park. Heres a site that has all the Colorado scenic hyways and byways http://www.coloradobyways.org/main.cfm. Pick some out and let me know.

I like that link, Brian. It's very helpful in deciding routes. I've been up to Dinosaur, but not since I was a kid and so I'm not sure I remember much. I like roads with a few twists in them as well as lotsa scenery. If I can get on a road that eventually leads into a canyon or two, I'm happy. I'll keep ya in mind come summertime.

I've nevr been up there lol. It just looks and sounds like a cool place to go lol. But like I said im up for any thing. I hope to put on 20,000 miles this summer, I've got to try and pass my dad up on miles. He's had his bike for a year now and has 20,000 miles on it now, but he does live in TX. Damn warm weather states lol

yall really have me drooling, i cant wait to get moved up there, and do some of these rides with yall.
    i do have one question, how are the fuel stations staged on these rides you speak of? 90 miles of easy riding and i am out. 80 hard riding i am out.
    i will need fuel stops every 50-70 miles or so just to be safe
    04 RC51