Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SS1K- the cold one

SS1K- the cold one

Depending on the weather...

Anyone up for next saturday (the 25th)? Leave ~0600. I have driving lights now- should be installed and tested by then. If you're interested, list your max range at 80MPH -20 miles.

My max range (-20) is around 220 miles. I'm thinking of an out and back to Topeka on I-70:

Denver to Burlington - ~180 miles

Burlington to Russel - 200

Russel to Topeka - 179

Total distance: 1100+

(per mapquest)

Harry- I'll do one with you when you're ready, I figure I need to start up the LD practice for the 1088 now... I need to be polished by june.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

You go boyyyyyyyy!!!!
    I had someone give me a bearhug yesterday and give me a lovely setback!!!! R. arm no longer works Even the ribs hurt once again

Don't worry about me & the SS1K. I'll get it done. Worse case scenario I'll still be coast to coastin & 1088'n even if I don't get credit.

I just gotsta ride is all.

Mike & company-
    There is very good interest in doing the SS1K this weekend,(weather permitin)

I believe with a nice steady pace and Ralph's range this can be done in 15 hours max. To make this happen, pit stops,(@ least the majority of them) need to be under 10 minutes. In fact, I believe you can do 1 of them in 3 minutes and then next in 8 minutes or so.

Some suggestions:
    1) read the ss1k rules
    2) drink fluids while riding
    3)call your credit card company so they don't shut down your card after the 3rd time used.
    4)take ibuprophen
    5)have some sort of music

I may make this trip too,(30% chance) Sunday works better for me as I may be making a little purchase Saturday. Don't however let that stop you. I'll witness anyone that may need it @ any time

All- I've also heard that Sunday the 26th might work better. It might also give us better weather. I just got Sunday night off so I can do the ride on either... or both days.

Jeff and Henry?

Ok, I think I can do this Sunday (definitely not saturday), I'm off Monday as a normal thing so I'll have lots of time to sleep.

However, this is health-dependent. I'm kicking a cold right now and riding for 15 hrs with that wouldn't be much fun at all, so if I get rid of it, then cool. I'd definitely like to, I just put the sargent seat and genmars on (along with a new windscreen and other goodies) and would like to try them out.

Harry are you ok to ride? What about your right arm injury? (bear hug ... uhh uh, sure ... )

Next Sunday, the 26th, right? I totally can't do this Sunday, the 19th. Are we talking about the same day? Looks like the weather will be decent then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Next Sunday, the 26th, right? I totally can't do this Sunday, the 19th. Are we talking about the same day? Looks like the weather will be decent then.
    Well shit now I'm confused too... Harry? Anyone? Bueller?

It's way too far out to tell what next weekend will look like weather-wise. Whatever you're seeing now could be completely opposite, so it might be best to keep the weekend open and decide next friday if we're doing sat or sun, or not at all cause there's 3 feet of snow.

Thoughts?

sorry about the confusion, I was trying to plan ahead with this thread.

Agree on the weather thing. If the low temp is above 20 and snow risk is minimum I'm going...

...on the 26th.

Well....i guess I goofed. I thought Mike was going this weekend. This Sunday is looking pretty good as Sat. night's low is not too bad and Sunday's supposed to be pretty warm.

I know Henry most likely can't ride this weekend.
    Mike can't ride.
    Jeff seems interested in this weekend as does Ralph.
    I should not, but could on Sunday.

The shoulder is starting to piss me off!! I've been treating it to calm things down. I have an awesome cruise control on the big pig and feel I'd stand a decent shot @ completing the 1K this Sunday, but more time would increase my odds. Plus...very few of us have CB's. These are not needed, but are more fun to use. I have no prob waiting.

BTW, 1 of the 1st CSC members may be joining us on our coast to coast-"Yah BABY"!! as he just got an '02 1150RT w/ heated seats :P and he does know about this trip!!!!

greetings all,

face it; weather prediction is a 'crap shoot'. do you feel 'lucky'???

keep thoughts open for the 26th and watch the trends of the weather. the dart-board guys at www.weather.com prepare nice pictures for forecasting if that is your bag or if you prefer the 'govermental text format' turn to NOAA (yeah, yeah they've got pictures too!).

talking with harry and looking at windchill charts, it would be best to go no lower than 30 degrees F. frostbite and hypothermia are NOT our friends!

commo via cb would be a nice thing but that probably won't happen before the 26th.... tunes are easier to come by.

some data pertaining to available natural light...

Sunday
    26 January 2003 Mountain Standard Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 6:45 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:13 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:13 p.m.
    Sunset 5:13 p.m.
    End civil twilight 5:42 p.m.

that means about 11 hrs of light for a 15 hour ride. dealing with darkness is better with an area that you are familiar with... hence, an out-and-back ride to Topeka is a great thing... leaving at 0500 would have us returning around 2000. i'll workup a route description with MS streets using Mikes stops soon...

i'll be at breck on Sunday busting deep trenches in the blues (the skiers hate it because they can't do it!!!)

watch those weather folks; they rival Vegas for odds!
    later,
    henry

visuals..... the weather channel was already stated sooooo

ok.... visual references!

here is a url for info pertaining to windchill experienced on a motorcycle:
    http://www.xs11.com/tips/riding/ride4.shtml

here is the url for NOAA (the gov guys that bring you weather-guesses):
    http://weather.gov/

may the force be with us!
    henry

For reference, my range is 140 miles until I get that cell. should be ok I think (there are fuel stops frequently enough along that route), we just need to plan for that. Sorry guys!

I need to get a real touring bike for this stuff...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Date confusion (as if I need more of that)...............

When I yaked @ dyscofool I was under the impression that it was not this weekend (Sun.) but NEXT weekend. I have plans to be in Fort Collins on Sat. night. I can ride the bike up there but................. let me know. I'll be a Copper Mtn tomorrow (Fri.) I'll check the thread when I return (after many runs off the 'S' lift).
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Ralph- When I did my big trip to Seattle on my 919 I estimated a 135 mile range. My longest pull ended up being 160 miles and the shortest was 110. I made 9 gas stops one day but still made around 1200 miles. Your bike will be fine. For the 1088, I'm planning on having a 500 mile range. That will definately make it harder to keep up with me but it's not that big of a deal for the SS1K since we won't be 'trying'.

Case in point:

200 mile range...
    Denver to Burlington 180
    Burlington to Russel 200
    Russell to Topeka 170

At 80 MPH with gas stops taking 10 minutes we'll pull into Topeka in 7 hours and 15 minutes. Add one gas stop to that, ignoring speed up time, and it's 7:25. Here's the fun part (and it will be on the test):

Revised schedule:
    Denver to Flagler 140
    Flagler to Oakley 125
    Oakley to Wilson 135
    Wilson to Topeka 150

If Bike A follows the original route, traveling at 80 MPH and Bike B follows the revised route at 84 MPH, both taking 10 minutes to get gas, both bikes will arrive at the final destination within 5 minutes (according to my potentially bogus mathmatical theorums). If we had 2 working GPS units we could totally try out it out. Regardless, riders A and B should both have lunch in Topeka.
    In rally-speak, punk ass biatches on R1150RTs with a 250 mile range will still kick me arse with a cruising speed of 100, but I'll have fewer tickets (or save myself the price of a good radar detector).

Jeff- we're all on the right track with the dates now. Have fun @Copper.
    Ralph- if your tank can't hande the 150 mile pull, I'll bring some rope... or there's a place you can stop on the way if you're getting worried after checking the range of the first 3 tanks...
    Henry- does this info jive with streets and trips? (I had to estimate mileage from the Ranch to I70)
    Harry- are you riding or witnessing?

We'll see after the first leg how my bike is doing. To be honest, I have never ridden in 6th at 80mph for that length of time before as I've never been able to contain the urge to crank that twin open...

This will be a good test. I also dropped the front gearing a tooth (should be real fun in KS! bwahaha) and I'm curious what that will do to my cruising mileage. My gut is telling me the 150 miles won't be a problem - remember, that's 140 until RLOD (Red Light Of Death aka fuel light), though I don't usually push much past that point. But I've actually had my tank get 170 before RLOD ONCE and only once, which makes me think 2 things: 1, I was riding like a wuss that week and 2, the sensor might have been stuck. But I think 150 will be ok as long as I don't mess around too much. 'Dem big ol' carbies suck that gas like a sponge!

Worst case on that leg I'll stop in the middle for gas and catch back up to ya.

Fri
    Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 44°/24° 20 %
    Sat
    Jan 25 Scattered Snow Showers 48°/21° 30 %
    Sun
    Jan 26 Snow Shower 44°/21° 50 %

for the COLD ONE on 26th; we got dealt our first card.... the Weather Channel guys say that our temps will dip on that Sunday. high of 44/low of 21 with a 50% chance of snow. that's 10 days out and NOAA won't post their guess til 7 days out. watch to see if their pressure centers stall or if they move out quicker than their forcast. watch for the next card and see where it plays
    henry

I'll wait it out til it warms some. Don't need to lose anymore weight by bone loss.

I'll be happy to witness ya'll though, just say wher & when. I'll bring a camera as this will be the 1st official IBA/CSC gigg. cool

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    I'll wait it out til it warms some. Don't need to lose anymore weight by bone loss.

I'll be happy to witness ya'll though, just say wher & when. I'll bring a camera as this will be the 1st official IBA/CSC gigg. cool
    I'm kinda waiting to see how the weather pans out too. I'm not doing a 15 hour ride down I-70 in a snowstorm, sorry but I'm just not that hard up to ride. IBA is 60 days behind, but there's still time to do the ride if it doesn't happen next weekend. I'd rather enjoy it and be safe, than be cold and miserable...

Me too- I'll just keep pushing my trip out a weekend until the weather gets non-precipitous. There's still hope though- we are in CO

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Local ONLY to CO

Dyscofool wrote:

Me too- I'll just keep pushing my trip out a weekend until the weather gets non-precipitous. There's still hope though- we are in CO

Things can drastically change even from Denver to Wiggins (what ~ 70mi or so??) I'll wait as the last two posters suggest and Henry's suggestion too

watch for the next card and see where it plays
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Fri
    Jan 24 Partly Cloudy 47°/20° 10 %
    Sat
    Jan 25 Snow Shower 43°/22° 40 %
    Sun
    Jan 26 Snow Shower 44°/23° 50 %
    Mon
    Jan 27 Partly Cloudy 48°/26° 20 %

ok then, here is the second card from the people at the Weather Channel. looks like a line of pressure that washes by. when we get the next card from WC, the NOAA guys will start their posting. watch for the changes...
    henry

NOAA says: "It's on, Martha! Bust out the polypro and fire up the sled!"

Denver: Sunday. Dry. Lows 15 to 25. Highs in the 50s.

Topeka: Sunday. Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 20s. Highs in the lower 40s.

I think high's in the 50's for KS on Sunday now as well. Plus we're dropping in elevation so that will help. Just need to bring something warm for the last 2-3 hours coming home, it'll get chilly coming across the plains I think.

I'll be wearing my bibs and polypro the whole way. Not worth stopping to change- better warm than cold. I guess Henry is out Jeff, are you still in?

If we're using Harry for a witness going out then I think we better use a different witness coming back in. Anyone know someone who'll be available Sunday night? And Harry, does that work for you?

Also- what time do we want to start. I figure the whole trip ought to take about 16 hours with food and incidentals. Id prefer to start out with a cup of joe if we could. Leaving at 0600 puts us back around 2200.

My suggestion for starting point is Denver Diner but it might be a little out of the way for our witness. Anyone have a better plan? The good coffee place opens at 0700.