Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: SS1K- the cold one

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I'll meet you fo breakfast somewhere:

Harry Biker wrote:

I'll need a witness.
    I'll do it for you and anybody else that will be in yer group.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Tentatively, that works for me. I won't have a fuel cell by then however, I might be able to order one but I sure won't have it installed or usable. However I don't anticipate that being a problem. The sprocket doesn't seem to have changed my MPG a whole lot, and I can figure something out for extra fuel should I really need it.

Did you want to do the same ride as these jokers, or something else?

I'm having a bit of a tooth issue at the moment (wisdom tooth, i.e. I still have the damn things and they're starting to become quite a painful encumbrance) however I'm sure I will have taken care of it by then.

tentative date of 2.22.2003 for the cold one;part II...

ah…. the B team… hopefully my shoulder will co-operate. I put on my ‘yello sub suit’ today. it was a painful experience. I’m dropping 3 200mg calcium tablets in the morning and at night. the date/time is as good as any with health and weather at play....

Saturday 22 February 2003 Mountain Standard Time

Begin civil twilight 6:16 a.m.
    Sunrise 6:44 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:14 p.m.
    Sunset 5:44 p.m.
    End civil twilight 6:12 p.m.

probably the same route as the A team.... hopefully the pump techs will sync up their pump date/time registers by then

henry

I'll witness on the other side. I'll do my next IBA ride when it's a bit warmer. Electrics/big fairings are key.

Ralph- if you guys decide to use our route: you need a fuel cell or you need to be prepared to gas up more frequently. My mileage varied greatly due to wind and speed. One tank hit the RLOD at 138 and another at 168. That's 10 miles a gallon. The original route I laid out will probably work for you without a big risk since Jeff and I cut a stop on the way back stopping in Sana Fe and Trinidad and made it just fine. Doing it that way gives you two 200+ mile pulls (depending on where you're headed in Denver).

As for the departure time, I'd leave by 0600 or so. The key is to be back over Raton Pass before it gets completely dark. I was definately tired at the end and I think that's partly because I got so little sleep the night before.

Well, I don't have big fairings, or electrics (unless someone can lend a brotha their electric threads)..

I will still be fuel-cell-challenged on the 22nd, no way around it. Even if I get it by then, there is no way I'd be able to fabricate a mount and integrate the proper fittings to the standards I will want.

The southern route is fine with me too...

Board Newbie
    Harry: If you need a witness on 2/22/03 let me know. Saturday's are out for me since I'm volunteering at the Legion until our pig roast on 24 May.
    MRDA 24
    IBA# 10600

formal route WITH fueling options....

yo mike,
    could you drop me a list of your fuel points with their addresses. using them i'll cook up a formal map with my software...... then i'll see what we can do to help our 'fuel-challenged' friend....
    any word on your wobbling rear wheel???
    later,
    henry

Diamond Shamrock
    255 Speer Blvd
    Denver, CO 80203

Loaf N Jug
    Pueblo, CO
    Unplanned stop, first Pueblo exit, chipshot from end of the ramp to the left- I wouldn't plan on stopping here.

Texaco
    1007 Railroad Ave (frontage)
    Springer, NM 87747

Conoco
    6800 Cerillos
    Santa Fe, NM 87505
    This is the first gas sign when you hit Santa Fe- there may be closer ones- was about 2.5 miles off of freeway.

Diamond Shamrock#1295
    Socorro, NM.
    There were closer gas stops- we had some confusion once we rolled into town. Look up the Chevron there- it's the closest thing to I-25. Address can be found by going to www.valero.com/marketing and entering the station #

Conoco (free air here)
    52 Old Las Vegas Highway
    Santa Fe, NM 87505
    Plan your route carefully here for best efficiency. I think we backtracked some to get back on the freeway. This is part of Hist. Rte 66- you might be able to exit, gas, continue on to I-25. If anything it's a few miles of different scenery with no time loss.

Texaco?
    9960 Santa Fe Trail Dr
    Trinidad, CO 81082
    First exit, first right. Attached Wendy's (cash for food, no plastic)

BP
    Quebec and County Line
    Lone Tree
    Follow KK smell
    You might be stopping at a different place per witness- I figured mileage to I-25 and Lincoln, Exit 193, since I knew I could find gas within a mile or 2.

The original plan is somewhere in this topic- check around for it. We blew it both ways- unplanned pit-stop in Pueble going and 3 stops on the way back. Be SURE to check wind forcast for the day- the worst was the westerly jog I-25 makes before Santa Fe on the way there. Coming back we had a nice tailwind almost the whole ride. Figure minimum 4 miles RT to gas for each stop.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

thanx for those 'lessons learned'

alright mike!!!

i'll take those fuelstops and plug them into my map that i used to guess your locations per time intervals during the ride..... i'm curious to see how close your ride came to the software's best guess! i'll use 15 minutes for the fuelstops....

what is the word on the wobblin' rear wheel???

thanx for the data,
    henry

Ride Report Finished

It is done I e-mailed it to Harry and Mike but Henry - - you need to free-up your account to accomodate the 1.4 M file that is the Ride Report. If you can't get a file that size, I'll load it on a floppy and mail it to you. I have it in HTML format so the IBA should post it sooner than later out on their site, or if I can get my site functional I'll send you the link.

CUL8TR

Ninja
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

file size TOO big...

hi jeff,

looks a bit trecherous out there this afternoon...

there are size limitations with the free hotmail account. 1 meg including any attachments.... i had a hotmail account long before Bill got his hands on it! i could get a real account with that measily microsoft money muncher named Bill Gates but i'm not giving him anymore than i have to!!!

alternative: make the file a 2-parter !?!?!?! we can beat Bill G AND the US Postal service!!! joyous day!

'revenge is a dish best served cold' -- klingon observation
    henry

1/2 on its way

Sending it @ 16:50 02/03/03.. Let me know when you get part #1 and then I'll send part #2

what do we expect from a "hobbiest's" operating sy

many thanx for your attempts to confront 'the machine' Windoze and all its applications reel and twist, only to fall onto the floor in a writhing mass. a limitation here; a choke-hold there..... some day BSD, Linux, and the like with robust apps will prevail. give VAX a chance!

oh,oh ----- i'm starting to rant!

thanx for listening; i'll stop now!

let it snow (for a while...)
    henry

Re: what do we expect from a "hobbiest's" operatin

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    many thanx for your attempts to confront 'the machine' Windoze and all its applications reel and twist, only to fall onto the floor in a writhing mass. a limitation here; a choke-hold there..... some day BSD, Linux, and the like with robust apps will prevail. give VAX a chance!

oh,oh ----- i'm starting to rant!

thanx for listening; i'll stop now!

let it snow (for a while...)
    henry
    I'm on BSD right now in fact!

Jeff-

AWESOME write up about your SS1k!!!!! Very well written. If you have not, I'd share it with more than the just the 3 of us.

1 question on your electric chaps. Do they just plug into the vest like gloves do/would? I don't think you run the e-gloves,(I do) that being said, have you seen a connector that would handle both the gloves and chaps?

Never seen a three-way plug

Harry,

The chaps use a 'Y' connector. Any other accessory needs to have a saparate connection.