Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS1K- the cold one

It's fixed! I have an odometer again!

BMW confirmed this morning that the ODO memory was in the head. I stuck my hand up there and felt around for blatantly loose wiring and, finding none, I disconnected the new lights from my battery. I did this by: Disconnecting negative wires, disconnecting positive wires completely, unhooking the power to the lights, reconnecting POS, and then reconnecting NEG. I have 2 connections on POS and NEG- I think one is for my heated grips. When I finished that, I turned the key an viola! It showed my mileage before the addition. I put the lights back onto the POS terminal and they lit up. -All this in their parking lot... I'm still a bit chilly.

So who is going, Jeff, Ralph, and me? Is meeting at the Denver diner cool? Say 0515 if you're eating, 0545 if you're not?

Harry- do you know where it is?

Henry- if you can make it in the morning, that's awesome, but can we count on you for a end of trip witness? If so, where should we meet you? We can always make a call from our last stop to give you some warning.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

address of Denver Diner is ?? harry and i should show no later than 0530 on the 26th.

for your finish, get the final gas receipt and pull by my place. i can sign your paper work/take pictures/etc. if all is well, i'd expect nlt 2100. i'll email my address to dysco mike.

henry

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Directions please.............

Dyscofool wrote:

So who is going, Jeff, Ralph, and me? Is meeting at the Denver diner cool? Say 0515 if you're eating, 0545 if you're not?
    Still planning on going. If there is ANY sign of precip I'm gonna pull the covers over my head and bail on the ride. No front tire to handle crap.

Where is the Denver Diner?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I'm not really up for precip either. Supposed to be in the 60's in Denver, so it should be a beautiful day (even warmer on Monday!! ).

Denver diner, is off Speer, like 10th I think. Might be 6th. It's right around there, big glowing thing of a building, on the northbound side. You can't miss it, especially with it still being dark out. I will be there for breakfast...

Gonna try and stay coffee-free for this one to see how I do, I'll bring a couple red bulls for emergency backup but I'm going to try the "nutritious food" route of energy first.

Denver Diner:
    740 W Colfax Av DENVER, CO 80204-2613

Take I-25 to the Colfax exit, go east at the top of the ramp, and the diner is the pink and green neon sign on your right as you cross over Speer- ya can't miss it.

...sweeeeeeeet

Henry & I will be there by 5:30 AM,(I'll be in the cage to include Henry) Don't forget if you have not already to print off a copy of the rules and witness statements from the IBA.
    I'd also recommend calling your credit card company & let them know you'll be traveling,(so they don't shut down your card).

If you have not already read the 25 rules of wisdom on the IBA site, do so.

Remember to watch out for one another after the miles exceed 800 or so. Watch for a rider that can't hold his speed,(I feel like a mother). Once that happens you can maybe buy some time by doing a clockwise rotation of formation. Don't be afraid to get off the bike as you'll have plenty of time. Walking around to increase circulation is good too.

I have a nice cd player for anyone that may be in need. Just get some ear buds w/ speakers @ Target & let me know.

Bring a digital camera!!

Responce .....

Harry Biker wrote:

,(I feel like a mother)
    The 'mother' of all what exactly???

Dyscofool wrote (actually gave beyond the call of duty):

Denver Diner:
    740 W Colfax Av DENVER, CO 80204-2613
    Ahhhh yes. These greasy spoons used to be known as the WHITE SPOT restaurants. (If there are any 'WHITE SPOTS" on the tarmac I'm again going to pull the covers over my head, get up at a reasonable hour and then walk to the bar for a bloody mary.

rforsythe wrote:

Supposed to be in the 60's in Denver, so it should be a beautiful day (even warmer on Monday!!
    If it's in the mid 60's in Denver it is only because of katabatic winds that 'fall' over the Divide and bring the temps up to what you might think that of San Diego. Ha ha ha DON'T BET ON THIS TO BE THE CASE AFTER MOTORING OUT EAST PAST SAUDI-AURORA. It is going to be BUTT ASS COLD ALL THE WAY TO KC AND BACK.

(Henry -- GET WELL SOON)

Ninja
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

I tested my heated grips with modified handguards to 10F tonight with excellent results- cold be damned! In a blatant misuse of company resources I printed out 4 copies of the IBA SS1K packet. I also printed up 4 trip plans with basic stuff: stops, exit #, and mileage between them- in an easy to read format.
    Henry- remind me to get your # before we leave just in case we're massively early or something
    Harry- you forgot spare batteries for the digicam (check) in your list. Dibs on the CD player. I'll see you tonight.

Ack! All set to go and I have to wait 2 days.

Mental note, I really gotta get those headphones put back in the helmet tonight! ...

I'm planning on blatantly misusing company resources thie morning as well to print out a bunch of IBA stuff. I've actually not read most of it so I should probably do that...

Disco,
    Do me a fave when you awaken and leave a voice message @ my home phone # to remind me to bring you the CD player. Get spare AA's and don't forget to get yourself some cheap ear buds,(I'll share a lot of things but not ear wax

Call Henry if you don't have my home #.

Got Poleroid?

Mama thinks it's too cold!!

According to today's forcast for Topeka on Sunday, assuming you were traveling @ 75 mph and the wind chill factor, you boys'll be hitting temps around -20 degrees below 0!!!!!!!!!!

Throw angry drunk drivers into the mix,(you stand a 40% greater risk of getting killed on S-Bowl day) and, well.......bundle up & @ least take out the drunk cage driver. Use your elbows and knees on em!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    Mama thinks it's too cold!!

According to today's forcast for Topeka on Sunday, assuming you were traveling @ 75 mph and the wind chill factor, you boys'll be hitting temps around -20 degrees below 0!!!!!!!!!!

Throw angry drunk drivers into the mix,(you stand a 40% greater risk of getting killed on S-Bowl day) and, well.......bundle up & @ least take out the drunk cage driver. Use your elbows and knees on em!
    Wow Harry, you're motivating!

Hrm, the forecast for topeka isn't getting better... Damnit. That's f'in cold...

BTW Harry, make sure you're using the new windchill calcs, they were updated last year with newer formulas. With a high of 32 degrees in Topeka, at 75mph that's a WC of 12 degrees F. Go here for current conversions:
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/metcalc.shtml

Shit, well now I am having second thoughts. Sunday's even cooling off here now. I guess I will wait a little while and see what happens, but as I don't have heated grips or an electric vest, freezing temps (let alone 12 degrees windchill) do not sound like a whole lotta fun to me. I dunno, it sounds like a couple of you are waiting a couple of weeks anyway, maybe we all should? Just throwing it out there...

Hmmm- I see flurries on there too. My motivation for going now is to get it over with before I have to go to my other tires- the non-touring kind. I might go Saturday... let me think on it while I sleep.

Sorry.
    Actually I was/am as excited for you guys doing this that I was thiking of bringing along cheerleaders!

you just need to be smart is all. I've seen other wannabees get burned out on long distance stuff. Don;t want to see that happen here.

Could you still make the ride and likely stay warm....yes.

Do you need to roll now or wait for a later date...maybe.

The way I seen it is the 50CC has fired up a lot of good emotions and I like you want to do it already. Doing the SS1K right away allows one to feel the feeling a little bit vs just riding this keyboard.

If you change your mind, I'm rolling to Apex Cycle inthe Springs on Saturday to price CB stuff.

Now If I were planning to ride 1K this Sunday and really wanted to do it, I'd just change directions!!

How's SOUTH sound bikerboyz??? Nicer scenary, nicer weather!!!!

Great idea Harry- I had the same one when I woke up. Ever heard of Socorro, NM? It's 520 miles from Denver and it's where I'm pointing the GS at 0600 on Sunday. I so wanted to go to Truth Or Consequences, but it's an extra 160 miles. Wouldn't that be cool to have on a certificate?

I'll have a trip plan ready tonight. It's going to be hard not to stop for pastries in Raton... (longjohns, really, but that would have sounded kinda of funny)

ONWARD!

Super Bowl Sunday in Socorro ......?

All righty then. South it is. But you might want to read this post further. I'd rather go as scheduled on Sat AM.

If we determine that south is the way to go .......

Do you want to meet further south say in the Ranch somewhere? Whereever the best coffee and breakfast is @ 5:00 AM.

In any case I'll be there. LET'S RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW --- here's the latest sat image. One thing you need to remember is this route is at HIGHER elevation throughout (Raton NM 6,640 ft., Las Vegas NM = 6,371 ft., Santa Fe NM = 7,000 ft., Socorro NM = 4,585 ft.) Whereas Topeka KS = 1,000 ft..

As you can clearly see the elevation is a sustained 6,149 ft. average of these four NM locations. The posibility for residual crap on the road left from previous storms should be accounted for. That disturbance out over Vegas needs to be watched. You might want to reconsider and deal with the cold east vs. the cold south. Either way it's not going to be a summer cruise.

The (current) Plan: Leave Sunday, Jan 26, at 0500 from the Denver Diner (meet there @0400 for breakfast and BS... ouch)
    DO NOT GAS UP BEFORE YOU GET THERE

The gas schedule is totally Ralph-friendly even though he's high maintenance
    Denver to Colorado City Exit 74 140
    Colorado City to Springer Exit 412 120
    Springer to El Dorado Exit 290 125
    El Dorado to Socorro Exit 150 140
    Rinse and repeat... in reverse.
    If any of these cities are known-bad for gas, let me know. I have handy route lists for everyone's tank bag.

Since we changed states, the speed laws got better. Limit in NM 75MPH and the lowest speeding award is from 1-10 over @$15. We're in the clear.
    Total mileage on the slab is 1030. This should be plenty. The lowest high temp is Santa Fe: 46F

Here we go ....................!

If the quality of gas is an issue, I'd just force a stop in a more metropolitan area (for the extra distance you would go to Springer, NM why not jus bail for fuel in Raton, NM?) where the gas sales are more inline with that of a flight deck on an aircraft carrier.

I don't so much care about the quality (I've heard of people running <80 octane in the 650 with no problems), more about availability since I've never been down that far. Too bad there aren't more big burgs on this route... but less traffic is nice.

Couldn't tell you ..............

Dyscofool wrote:

Too bad there aren't more big burgs on this route... but less traffic is nice.
    I don't remember if there is fuel in Springer, NM or not. I'd play it on the safe side and snag it in Raton, NM. I think the main objective is to get it before we need to.

Silly me, forgot to Google it. We're hooked up- even has an airport if you need a bit of high test.

http://nmohwy.com/s/springer.htm

I like Raton, too. Need to stop there for any reason? The Coffee Shop and Bakery is money.

SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!! SHIT!!

I just remembered, I have a prior obligation sunday afternoon! I can't go on this ride... After this one my sundays are freed up, but this weekend is pretty much out of the question.

*sigh* Wanna reschedule, or do you two (dysco and nick) want to go ahead, and I'll just do it with harry/henry/whoever later?

So.......if you ain't riding any longer, care to switch places w/ me??
    I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about giving it a whirl.

Just to be clear now, that puts me tenderizing me arse and it puts you wakening up VERY EARLY to sign some forms.