Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SS1K- the cold one

I suppose I could do that... Do you need 3 witnesses since I'm not IBA? Are you leaving at 6am or 5am?

Just need 1 witness. You kind of control the departure time is 0500 doable?
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyscofool
    Just need 1 witness. You kind of control the departure time is 0500 doable?
    I think so ... Damn that's early! Should be fine though.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

!!! WAKE UP CALL !!!

I am packing the bike today. I am leaving @ 4:15 AM. I'M GOING ON THIS RIDE! I AM GOING TO DRINK COFFEE BY THE POT FULL. I AM GOING TO BE IBA CERTIFIED (or is that certifiably NUTS)

CUL8TR
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Here's my deal-
    I heading out now to do a 200 mile trip to assess the pain level. If it's good and ok for tomorrow I'm riding w/ you boyz.

If I'm riding tomorrow I'd like to suggest like Jeff a 4:15 AM departure time. Now that's not get to the diner time, that's start the clock time.

To prevent Ralph from having to leave that warm bed with his dancin girlfriend my wife said she will witness us @ my house. Henry can then do the end witness.

So, check this post later on this afternoon/evening and I'll let you know my status. Assuming you do not want to leave quite that early and you still want to meet @ the diner we NEED a 100% guarantee from Ralph. Henry still can't drive so it's Ralph @ the diner or it's my wife @ the Ranch.
    So, I'll be looking for your preferance for a start time etc.
    Also, even if I don;t do the ride tomorrow, I'l lstill be happy to witness the dynamic duo and free up Ralph.
    Henry, if that's the case let me know if you still want me to pick you up then.

Remember, a 5am start most likely puts us back into Denver right as the game is ending!

L8tr...off to spend more $$ on this addiction

Harry you still here? Give me a call, maybe I'll go do a quick ride with ya. 303-907-7499. I can't leave on the bike for an hour and a half tho... (still up north)

I'm a no go.
    My good buddy threw a $400 Schuberth helmet for me to catch to see how light it was. That hurt. Had ibup 600 mg onboard too.

So, I'm heading out for a few hours and will check this section to see what you want me to do in the AM. If I'm to witness, give me my arrival time @ the Denver Diner and I'll be there. If Henry makes a post I'll pick him up too, otherwise I'll ride a scoot.

Sorry to hear about that, Harry- take care of your wing! Jeeze- that thing gets reinjured every week.

I just spoke to Jeff and we've decided to go with the original plan. So Harry (and friend/s): Please be at the Denver Diner by 0445. This way the mileage is more comfortable, too. We'd be right around 1007 if we started in HR and 1030 from Denver. Someday I'll do an SS1000 between 2 cities with oddball names (Truth Or Consequences?) for a better certificate.

I'm sure we'll have no problem making good time on Superbowl Sunday in NM. likely <2100 finish. I'm not too worried about the drunks- I ride with then every time I go to work. I also cruised Henry's hood and we'll have no trouble finding it.

Tick tick tick tick ........

I'm gonna hit the hay now. I'll leave Boulder @ ~ 3:30 AM and get to the Diner @ 4:15 or so. THIS IS GONNA BE A BLAST
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

ok, harry.... i'll be ready at my door at 3:30 am (if that's enough time...)
    the price i pay for a bit o' foolishness..... i wish i were do'in the ride but this is as close as i can get right now! camera and pen; i'll be ready!
    (call me with details/changes/etc..)
    later,
    henry

HT, I'll bring the screaming meanie w/ me and "blast it" between 3:30-3:45 am-just kidding, sleep study & all.

If for some strange reason like I drank too much beer as I'm typing this to drown my sorrows call me @ 4am. Now I don't anticipate you'll have to do that cuz you'll already be in my truck ready to buy me the big boy breakfast.

Board Newbie

SS 1000

Good luck on your ss 1000 attempt. It will change your perspective on riding completely IF you're successful. Later..........
    Big Mick the Shit Magnet
    MRDA #24
    IBA #10606

I don't think I'm going to make it to the diner at 4am (it's almost 2:30am now - why I'm awake, I dunno ... oh yeah I think it was that 6 cups of coffee I had. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!) but I'd like to catch up with you guys when you return, since I presume harry or whoever will be meeting you anyway to witness the end stop. Someone post back here with the details, I might grab some dinner with y'all.

In the meantime I'm planning to hook up with the crew at 11am at starbucks on 6th/broadway, so maybe I'll get a little riding in today yet.

Back safe. Ride complete. Hard rock forever.

Don't know what to say really ......

Big Mick The Shit Magnet (I don't want to even ask ...) wrote:

Good luck on your ss 1000 attempt. It will change your perspective on riding completely IF you're successful. Later..........
    It did and we were

You'd a had to been there DON'T DO THIS IN THE WINTER :P

WAY TO GO FELLAS!!!!!!!!

I'll wait impatiently for a ride report...........................................

Board Newbie

ss 1000

Glad to hear it was a safe and life altering event. There is nothing better than the long distance endurance ride. I look forward to reading your ride report. Later.........
    Big Mick the Shit Magnet
    MRDA #24
    IBA #10606

U must wait.....

Harry Biker wrote:

I'll wait impatiently for a ride report...........................................
    I'm at work. I am not awake. I will try to type a report tonight. I might fall asleep. THANK GOD FOR AIRCRAFT LANDING LIGHTS! (GREAT JOB Dyscofool )

City Time Mileage Time spent
    Denver, CO 0520 5577
    Pueblo, CO 0720 5690 20 Pump gave no receipt (to me)
    Springer, NM 0914 5849 5
    Santa Fe, NM 1103 5987 25 Tightened my chain
    Socorro, NM 1320 6130 20 Bad time on receipt
    Santa Fe, NM 1515 6267 20 Bad time on receipt
    Trinidad, CO 1808 6474 55
    Lone Tree, CO 2151 6670
    (Everywhere else I paste this stuff it looks fine but the board is eating my spaces)

-Handlebar mounted bicycle water bottle froze solid before Pueblo. It thawed somewhere around Santa Fe. I regained feeling in my feet near Albuquerque. Trying to jog around a gas station when you can't feel your feet must look pretty funny- it feels funny.
    -Developed a wobble at all speeds before getting to Socorro. Read 31 PSI in my warm rear tire. Filled to 39.
    -Crossed over a dimly lit Raton pass with little gas to spare in an effort to get over before total darkness. Very slow leg since I was a bit worried about my rear tire. It was much warmer in Colorado at night.
    -The last 100 miles were plagued with bad traffic and loads of LEOs. We made it through in good time anyway- those were the easiest miles. Our pace in the dark parts was pretty slow but Jeff's driving lights were so bright we could see every pebble at 50 yards. Some cars were passing and when he shut is lights off as they went by they slammed on their brakes due to the lost visibility- pretty funny.
    -Rear tire VERY wobbly/unbalanced at low speeds after the ride chain skips and bike dies occasionally at low speeds on the ride home. Need new rear tire, possibly new chain.

Ultimately, I wasn't prepared to maintain my bike over 1000 miles. Didn't bring chain lube or check my tire pressure before I left. I should have also tightened my chain up a bit before we left, but I didn't know how to do it. Now I do- Thanks Jeff! I'm left with a fairly busted ride.
    The average speed on the way there was between 85 and 90. The way back was slower, starting at 85+ and slowing as the wobble progressed. At night we kept the speeds at or under the speed limit, which improved gas mileage significantly and allowed us to really sweep the road for critters.
    Avg speed for the whole trip was 66MPH (per my ODO). Avg rolling speed (per my ODO) was 75.

Dysco, make 100% sure your axle is straight and torqued to spec, after re-adjusting the chain per the manual. That wobble sounds like you got it crooked maybe.

Glad it was a good trip, and I will be on the next one!

Ride Report SS1K The Cold One

Harry, Henry, Mike, and Big Mick (TSM): I am still in the process of writing a report. It is going well and should be done by the end of the week. I'm reliving it as I put flesh to plastic. I have Harry and Henry's e-mail. If Mike and Big Mick (TSM) want a copy, please contact my PM account here and I'll be glad to forward a copy of this exquisite Gonzo Journalistic masterpiece.

Board Newbie
    Good going. Now you can watch the mail for 3 months waiting for your official notification.

Brother SM: Cocktails tomorrow?
    MRDA 24
    IBA# 10600

Board Newbie

Cocktails?

Cocktails? But of course! Same time, same place I presume. Being the cheap Drunkard that I am, the L will work fine. By the way, the Skylark is closing. Moving 2 blocks south X Champion Auto....Maybe if Denver Liquor Board approves the move.

I was looking at the map today considering our 10 state weekend ride. I'm stoked on the idea. CO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, and WY. I found a way to do 11 and include NE too. It'll ROCK Brother!
    Later..........
    Big Mick the Shit Magnet
    MRDA #24
    IBA #10606

SS1K-the"B"-group.....

Shall we tentatively plan the 1K so those that need to get fuel cells,(Ralph), get better,(Henry) and ok me too and warmer clothes-widder baby!!(Disco??) That gives everyone 4 weeks to prepare etc. Ralph, I'll be carrying extra fuel and I HIGHLY suggest you do too

How's Saturday 2/22/03 grab you?
    Weather dependant of course.

I'll need a witness.

Les & Big Mick, you're more that welcome. I'll be rolling on the 88"
    Time to finally get that license plate frame.