Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non endurance ride trips...no IBA BS. Stop & smell the r

Non endurance ride trips...no IBA BS. Stop & smell the r

Riding season is fast approaching. This will be a good spot to list trips you'd like to take with other CSC members. Ideally this spot would be for overnighter trips, but that's not mandatory.

So, where do you want to go?? Taos? Steamboat? Aspen? Ouray? Sturgis?Your Aunt Sophies in Dodge City?

Actually...

I was planning a run to Raton in March with some friends. I ended up stuck there on a Thursday night last year after some seriously bad planning on my 919. Thursday night was Karaoke night when I went and the whole town showed up in a dark hotel bar to drink cheap beer and strangle tunes. I didn't sing but I did do my share of drinking with a couple of other travelers. In the morning I ate breakfast for $3 (including 100% tip) at The Coffee Shop and Bakery (that's right- it's the only one) and headed back over the pass. It was the most fun I'd ever had stuck in a small town.

I think rooms were ~$25 for a double. This will be a fixed date, weather be damned. If the pass is too bad, we'll stay in Trinidad. It's just over 200, but it will be kind of chilly
    I'm posting here to see if there's any interest beyond the 2-3 people already scheduled... (no date set yet- pending verification that Thursday is still the right time to party in Raton)
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Rat on bro!
    I may join ya to the Rat & keep on going towards Red River/Taos.

How about a saturday morning leave for a back road romp to Glenwood! ... chill there that night, maybe even get in the pool, party or whatever. Then head back VIA ASPEN, (stop there for lunch). Its an idea and it will take minimal planning!

So what do you bums think? this would be a summer trip!?

-al
    CSBA #410 CO chapter officer
    RC51 (the faster scratched up one)
    hozerking.blogspot.com

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

Hey Hozer,
    We're practically neigbors. What part of the Ranch are you in?

I've always wanted to get in the Springs and have yet to do so.

Pick a date that works for you & see if others are hip. The summer books up fast so if you can coordinate this ride I'mn sure you'd get a good turnout.

Hozer...

Your trip sonds good. Let me know what dates your thinking about... I'm probably in, but then you know I'd follow you to the very gates of hell... or Krispy Kreme.

I'm down for the glenwood thing, that sounds like fun!

I want to check out MT Rushmore this year for maybe a one or two nighter...anyone interested lets start talking.

Chris

I'd be down for that- remember that lodging is $$$ in the summer with all the bikes and camping can be hazardous in the wrong place for the same reason. Missing the nat park by rushmore would be a shame- it's awesome. Also my grandma lives up there- she hates bikes but it'd be nice to stop by and say hi. I don't think we could crash there but there will be food. mmmm, chocolate pie.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

I'm in for any and all weekend trips. The Glenwood Springs trip sounds great as well as the Mt Rushmore trip.

As long as we stay away from Mt Rushmore for a 3 week window - the week of the Sturgis Rally and the preceding and following weeks - lodging rates should be fine. I think they just raise them for the rally. Three years ago we paid $135/night for a room in Spearfish (20 miles west of Sturgis) during rally week that would normally go for $45. This year the rally is August 4-10. Besides Mt Rushmore there is the Pigtail Highway, the Badlands, Devils Tower and more.

I am going to be getting some compact/lightweight backpacking camping equipment too if any of these trips are going to include camping.

Let's camp!!
    Camping in/near Custer State park or the Badlands would be very cool.

Haybusa in the BADLANDS!! Don't get much badder than that!

Pick a weekend for this Chris and let's see if it sticks,(not the last week of June please) I'll assume that everyone will be able to make SD without stopping for the night right? It's about 450 to Sturgis. Shoot, after Vegas, this trip will be a piece of cake, or should that be Chocolate pie

Granny's welcome to camp out too ya know :P

Your tempting me Harry......let me look at my calendar, I will come up with something.....

Chris

Hey ya'll-
    Moving closer to the now, I think Raton then back up thru Glenwood sounds crazy cool, hows March looking for people? Let plan something.
    I'm always up for trips.
    :P FF

So August is out for MT Rushmore..........July or September? Camp?? At my age, Motel 6 is camping!!

Chris

July is much nicer in the Black Hills. I'm in for a trip up there. Staying in Deadwood gives you the most options for rooms. Plus there are decent campgrounds nearby, not to mention something to do at night. 390 miles from Aurora.

July, huh? hmmm, let me poke around and see what can be done. 390 miles is cake and I have heard it is a fast run.

Chris

I'm in for whatever you guys decide....it's all new out here to me and I want to see some of the sights

I'm in for Mt. Rushmore; never seen it and down with camping, too, as long as no-one expects me to bring the stove and cook

Let me know once you decide dates (birthday is on 7/7, hint hint)
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

We should also include the Badlands, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower & Sturgis/Deadwood/Custer area.

I'll cook, Hanna's cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    We should also include the Badlands, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower & Sturgis/Deadwood/Custer area.

I'm assuming for the moment that I'm going ... if so I don't mind taking on some cooking duties as well.

As long as it's the plates and not the bikes, you're on!
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-

Quote Originally Posted by surfinspacegirl
    C'mon Hanna I thought we were doing the CSC bikini bike wash a la Biker Boyz...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    So we're bringing a hunk who'll be washing my bike in a pair of speedos, then?

-

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    So we're bringing a hunk who'll be washing my bike in a pair of speedos, then?
    I'm not sexy enough?