Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what kind of improvement should be expected from a pciii

Re: what kind of improvement should be expected from a pciii

Yeah, our website REALLY sucks right now. That site was literally put together in an hour. Bloody embarassing considering the computer background we all have. It's definately on our radar, but there are like a million other things that we also need to take care of. Starting a new business sucks!

We charge $300 to tune power commanders. If you want any additional maps (say for nitrous or race gas) it's an additional $100 for every map. More complex standalones like Motecs we charge around $450 and up (many more variables and it takes much longer to deal with things like cranking enrichment, coil dwell. etc.).

Most guys are running the fuel only unit... but the best gains will be found from the ignition modules on top of the fuel units. Especially on bikes that have raised the compression or changed cams etc.

Quote Originally Posted by No-coast-punk
    I picked up 15 horsepower to the rear wheel on my R6 after spending a day on my dyno with the PC3. Think of the dollar amount in other parts you would have to bolt on to gain that kind of power. The ignition harness is needed for these types of gains on other bikes though. I also picked up a few mpg.

You will definately notice a huge difference in throttle response/smoothness with an off the shelf map... but they're not very good. The ass dyno for most people say a PC3 without a custom map provides about the same power increase as a full exhaust system.
    Did you pick up 15hp by adding the PC3 alone to a stock bike or is this with a exhaust system/air filter?
    thanks mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

The 15whp was from the tune alone.

The bike already had a full graves exhaust system and K&N filter on it. I was going to start with the graves map for those mod's and go from there... but the graves tune was so whacked out I just threw it away and started from scratch. I actually lost power in a few spots with the graves tune.

I meant to bring in a few floppy discs from home to upload the dyno charts... but I forgot. I'll try and remember tomorrow.

what kind of price does tk have? Is it about the same?

Quote Originally Posted by rider955i
    what kind of price does tk have? Is it about the same?
    Tk was $260
    They will say it takes two hours but that might have been how long I was there total overall; to include unfucking my exhaust (I hate you hotbodies), trouble shooting a stator problem and fixing it. All that along with the dyno runs to get your map.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

WOW!!!!

Normally I wouldn't even get into this conversation unless asked but since there are gross innacuracies in your statements I can't help it. By spouting off information that is blatantly wrong you are doing yourself and eveyone a disservice and making it obvious you are "whoring yourself out"

Following are a few examples:
    For tuning purposes they kind of suck too since the weight of that roller doesn't very accurately simulate the load an engine will see in the real world. You can only tune full throttle too.
    We have an Eddy Current Load Control Dyno that allows for tuning at any throttle and Rpm we pick. Many Dynojet dynos have this feature.

Another way our dyno differs from dynojets is our braking system. We can basically simulate any load under the sun and also hold an engine at a given RPM. This brake system allows us to more accurately simulate the load a bike places on the engine in the real world. Since the ECU bases all it's fuel delivery on actual engine load.... properly loading the engine during tuning is critical.
    See above...Dynojet dyno (ours) has an edddy current brake that allows us to do exactly that.

The biggest advantage however lies in our ability to do part throttle and throttle tip in. We can basically tell the dyno "hold the bike at exactly 4,000 RPM" and then go all the way from closed throttle to full throttle and in real time see exactly where the air/fuel and power is at along the way without the rev's ever changing. We perfectly tune every throttle cell at 4,000 then turn it up to 4,500. Tune every throttle cell at 4,500 move up to 5,000 etc. This allows us to accurately change every single cell within the fuel map all the way from closed throttle/idle to full throttle/redline.
    Again, see above...Dynojet dyno (ours) has an edddy current brake that allows us to do exactly that.

Our 02 sensor also responds about 10x faster than a dynojet's. When you are dealing with a situation where .1 air fuel ratio can make the same power difference as say an air filter and you are dealing with near sonic exhaust velocities... fast response is critical.
    Got to admit, I have no Idea what o2 sensor you are using but ours is a wideband sensor which gives a wide range and fast response. Let me know what kind you use if it's better I have no problem using it.

I dunno... our dyno costs about four to five times as much as a dynojet motorcycle dyno which is why so few shops have them. But then again... we had an all wheel drive turbo porsche on ours today... so being more flexible takes some of the hurt out of those monthly payments. None of our customer cars/bikes that have been tuned previously on a dyno jet and then our dyno have ever gone back to a dyno jet. They simply don't have the accuracy to make all the power you can. That GSX-R 1k picked up 9whp. I picked up 15 with my bike and my dyno.... and my bike is a 600.
    Maybe it costs so much due to the fact it is designed to run, oh I don't know.....
    Cars!
    Besides not every bike will pick up huge gains if the fueling is not far off to begin with. We have picked up huge gains on bikes as well. We just don't promise it without a basis to start from.

The dynojet's also can't do part throttle accurately or transient (roll on) throttle... period. And seriously, how often are you at 100% throttle? How about playing in the 30% -> 60% range?
    We can and have tuned at partial throttle and for roll ons.

Once again... sorry to whore my business out. You won't see me do it much here. I just REALLY hate dynojets. I've seen completed tunes roll off dynojet's that are outright dangerous simply because that equipment was never designed to be tuned with. It's not the fault of the tuner... the equipment simply can't simulate the real world.
    I have no problem if you hate the Dynojet dyno's as I have no opinion on yours one way or the other. But please let people know this is your opinion as most of it has no factual basis. Also the person operating a dyno has a great amount of control over the quality of a map regardless of which dyno or tuning system used. I don't want to start some pissing match it's just I don't understand your need to slam us or the dyno when I don't know if we have ever even met.

Feel free to flame me or even call to discuss.

Sorry about the thread hi-jack

Brian
    TK Motorsports
    Last edited by brian38; Thu Feb 8th, 2007 at 09:39 PM.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I don't think it's a hijack if you're just responding to info that you find suspect. Thanks for the clarification. You're a temp over there though, right?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I had no idea dynojet made a product with eddy current capabilities. You would be the first in the Denver area with a dynojet (that I have heard about) that has an eddy current setup. Most don't. I have played with just about every type of dyno under the sun (dynojet, dyno dyanmics, mustang, maha, dynapak, etc.) and never seen an eddy current dynojet. Most dynojets are either the 124/224/248 variety. What model are you guys running?

You guys are probably using the Bosch LM1 sensor. Ours is the NTK L2H2. Both sensors are just as accurate... the NTK one just has much more favorable transient response.

You are correct though, most of what I said can be ignored about the eddy current/braking capabilities as I had no idea you guys could do that. Did dynojet put a greater tooth count on the rollers on your model as well? Usually it's required to monitor/maintain speed on the rollers.

Dyno arguments are the best!

'My Dyno is better than your Dyno"

"yeah but mine gain 300hp on a GSX-R1000"

"yeah but my dyno has load control"

"well mine is red and red dyno's are faster"

"yeah well mine is on wheels and can do quads and bikes and dwarf cars and I can get it sideways in a parking lot when there is snow on the ground"............ hey hang on that's my dyno

dude before you try and 'educate' people about how much better your dyno is than another dyno you should do some research about the dyno technology that is actually out there, Dynojet has had full load control for a few years now. They also have the ability to show 'actual' horsepower in real time

hang on, the shitty DJ150 cant do that can it? Oh that's right those dyno's are over 10 years old and just like motorcycles dyno technology moves forward.

FYI there are at least 7 full load control Dynojet dyno's in Colorado.
    Last edited by Clarkie; Fri Feb 9th, 2007 at 07:53 AM.
    It is what it is