Thread: Safety Wire?

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Safety Wire?

Since I plan on hitting the tracks a little more this upcoming year I was wondering what people have done to safety wire their bikes? I can buy a bolt kit, wire and tools to do it myself for @170. Or should I buy the wire and tools, then drill the bolts myself according to the MRA website? Any clue on what a shop would charge to do this?

I figure this is something I don't need to do at most tracks, but I feel its my obligation to both the track, and most importantly, other riders to make my bike as safe as possible. Thanks for the help!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: Safety Wire?

Just get the 12-pack of bits from Harbor Freight for $3 and drill it yourself. With a little patience, a steady hand, and a couple of beers, it doesn't take that long and will save you some bucks.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Word.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

DK, I *might* be needing to do the same thing myself in the near future...I was gonna use the daddys drill press for the endeavor. If you haven't done yours by then, we can make it a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    DK, I *might* be needing to do the same thing myself in the near future...I was gonna use the daddys drill press for the endeavor. If you haven't done yours by then, we can make it a date.
    That would be a great date! If you decide to do it let me know, I'll pick up the safety wire and tool then.

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I have a drill press, I never used it for this. It really isn't that hard to do it with a hand drill. What I found extremely helpful though was a spring-loaded center punch to nick the screw head where I wanted the hole to start (wow that sentence sounds dirty), especially with the tiny bits you'll be using it makes starting the holes much easier.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

"Rapid Tap" cutting oil

We Have wire by the pound (about a quarter mile) for $16.99, cobalt drill bits ($1.25 each or 5 for $5) and safety wire pliers ($25 for good ones, well worth the difference in price from the Harbor freight ones). We generally get 1 hour of shop labor ($62) to wire a bike to MRA specs, plus shop supplies.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

So if I were to just take it to TFOG, whats the ballpark estimate to safety wire my bike to MRA specs? Also does this include drilling, wiring, etc?

$62 + $MISC = $$$

Figure about $75, and usually done in 1 day. You should probably pick up pliers and wire, though, if you are planning on doing your own maintenance (brakes, tires, and oil changes), so you can rewire those items when you are done.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

So I drop my POS Kawi off, you drill and safety wire it for @ 75 bucks. I spend another 25 for the tool and 15 for more wire. If this is the scenario I will be calling for an appointment soon.

Quote Originally Posted by konichd
    So I drop my POS Kawi off, you drill and safety wire it for @ 75 bucks. I spend another 25 for the tool and 15 for more wire. If this is the scenario I will be calling for an appointment soon.
    Gimme a call and we'll get it scheduled. Gummy carb season is right around the corner!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me Jim. The Kawi will be seeing you March 3rd!

If you R going to do it your self... go to Homedepot and get BLU-MOL bits.....
    BLU-MOL
    No. 6625, 1/16 In. Straight Shank, 2 Pack Black Oxide Drill Bit, Aggressor
    Model 4516625
    Price: $2.18/ea

Ive tried dozens of brands and these are the cheepest ones that work well. Buy a dozen of them. Saftey wire is available every where.... Most of the local shops have it.

Takes about 2-3 hours to drill and wire and entire bike. Get a buddy to help and reduce the time it takes drmatically (depending on how many beers you toss back in the process) The MRA book is a good place to get what you want to have done. Mostly anything where fluid may come out if a bolt comes off if the 1st on the list. Then brakes. Calipers, pins, banjos, etc. Then Axels and pinch bolts. Some go further adn do shift rods, front sprocket nuts, etc..... Radiator cap, Oil filter, Oil fill cap, Oil drain plug. U will brake bits. The rule of thumb is slow and steady on your pushing on the drill and U will break less.

Good luck...

Should cost you less than 40-50 bucks to buy it all and do it your self. If you have a drill press or access to 1 your time will go way down on doing this project. Just make sure you are wiring to hold the bolt on tight and not let it loosen. If you dont have saftey wire pliers... Again every shop has them avail or Harbor Freight it... They are 15 bucks to 60bucks depending on wher eyou get them and who makes them......
    Last edited by BlueDevil; Tue Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

DK has money, not patience...so TFOG will be completeing this task for me.

Well then there is always that option.... haha
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Thanks for all the input though! I'm sure other people reading this will find the advise very helpful if they want to do it themselves.

Glad somebody asked, because i have been wondering the same thing. When i get around to it i will be takin it to tfogg...."easy quick" projects never turn out very easy or quick...i tend to break stuff and screw things up in which i will end up spendin more money than i would of just havin someone else doing it. Except oil changes i cna do those little thing pretty easy and decently fast....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by konichd
    Thanks for all the input though! I'm sure other people reading this will find the advise very helpful if they want to do it themselves.
    My crotchrocket can out run and out manuver your hogg.......The best part is it cost half the price.
    2007 GSXR 1000
    2006 CBR 1000RR
    -DEFLAPPED
    -YOSHI RS 5
    -POWERCOMMANDER
    -520 CONVERSION
    -+2 REAR -1 FRONT
    -speedo healer