Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There are two types of riders...

Re: There are two types of riders...

Quote Originally Posted by towneh
    TTK, regarding sliders... Plastic sliders become quite brittle in cool temps. it's all a crap-shoot anyway!

D_T, hope you heal quickly! neosporen or Bach rescue remedy.....
    Joe Rocket makes a nice set o'armourd/vented trousers (meteor IV worked for moi)

yello-sub commander,
    henry
    Leah-

Try these sliders out.

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...?idproduct=163

They are what I went with and about 2 weeks or so after installing them, they got a test run of about a 100 ft. slide after the left side of the bike was slammed down. Worked perfectly!

As it states here as part of Motovations selling point:

http://www.motovationusa.com/index_MVdiff.htm

Fasteners
    We use mostly 12.9 grade (176,000 psi tensile strength) hardened steel socket head cap screws for our slider to frame attachments. Most socket head cap screws of this type are supplied for use as flywheel or connecting rod bolts. Our choice of bolts for this mounting configuration is so that they will bend instead of snapping when subjected to excessive stresses. They are almost always supplied in black finish but we take the extra step of having them galvanized for better corrosion resistance. This may affect their exact thread tolerances in some cases. Another thing we've been asked this a lot: "Why socket heads instead of standard hex headed bolts?" The answer is simple. A bolt fits into a hole in the slider. To tighten that bolt you will need a hex drive or a socket drive. If you use a socket because it's a hex head bolt, the hole in the slider needs to be bigger to accommodate the size of the socket, requiring the slider puck to either be bigger overall, or thinner walled. Hex drives are smaller profiled and therefore need a much smaller hole in the slider for the drive to be inserted. Socket head bolts are also much harder to come by, especially in metric and non-standard pitch configurations. They are considerably more expensive, but we feel that they are a worthwhile expense. We do not use hex head screws, only socket heads and they are all either galvanized or stainless steel. Never black oxide coated.

We also use stainless steel socket head cap screws for attaching sliders to brackets (in street no cut model frame sliders kits). Usually they are of Grade A2 (304) stainless steel with a tensile strength of about 101,000 psi. This type of fastener was chosen as they are meant to snap off on excessive impact before transferring that excessive force to the brackets which would amplify the forces to the mounting points on the frame.
    Washers: We only use 304 grade stainless steel in all our slider kits to reduce metal to metal corrosion and binding.

Frame Slider Material
    Motovation Accessories uses a proprietary High Molecular Density (HMD) formulation of nylon. This nylon is impregnated during the extrusion process with UV inhibitors to resist destabilization of the molecular matrix and discoloration during prolonged UV exposure. This formulation is also molybdenum disulfide infused to give it the same lubricating properties as Delrin. This formulation is 75% more resistant to abrasion than Delrin and exhibits a reduced propensity to "chunk off" or "break off" during extended abrasive events and it's 'slickness' reduces it 'grabby-ness' during slides that may cause your bike to tumble and cause more damage.

What about Delrin or ABS?
    Many frame slider manufacturers use them because it much softer, much cheaper and easier to machine, i.e. the material flakes off readily in a lathe and is much easier on the tools. The reason why Delrin is easier to work with therefore makes it a much less suitable choice than our selection for frame slider material. Notice in the pictures on the left that our material shows stringy edges at the point of abrasion. Delrin does not do this. It chunks and breaks off on impact much more readily. Furthermore, Delrin is not UV stabilized and will discolor or grey in sunlight which will further downgrade it's structural strength.

In any case, I'm glad to hear you are doing better and didn't get hurt worse.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I've heard good things about intuitive and woodcraft sliders as well..anyone had any success with either of these models? I also need a new set of swingarm sliders.

I would also like to get my lowers painted red, if anyone knows someone that does showroom quality paint for not so much money.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic
    I've heard good things about intuitive and woodcraft sliders as well..anyone had any success with either of these models
    Yes...I had Intuitives on the Gix when I binned it and had no damage to any painted surfaces at all.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Frame sliders:

http://www.whaccessories.com/ProtectorGSGMoto.htm

And try this guy for your paint Job

Pete Fitzsimmons
    FitzGraphix
    Colorado Powersports
    Boulder
    303-442-4772

(He's no longer with CPS but they will have his contact info --- maybe they'll give it out.)
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

heard good things about intuitive and woodcraft sliders as well..anyone had any success with either of these models? I also need a new set of swingarm sliders.
    Wow...as Barn said, welcome to da club! Hope you heal quickly.

Intuitive works, I have tested them too.

Intuitive makes swingarm sliders also.

I'm a Polysporin fan. By now someone gave ya the Polysporin first, then Vaseline gauze info to help reduce scar tissue, (one would hope).

It only cost me $184k to become a plastic surgeon. Feel free to stop by my office and I'll give ya a sample of Mepital.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Glad you're (relatively) ok and it wasn't worse, Leah!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyTheKid
    sliders supposed to .. er.. slide? That makes me a bit nervous about putting sliders on mine since they bolt in on the engine mount bolt.
    I don't know what make of sliders they were, but they were the thinnest walled sliders I'd ever seen... I think they were worse (thinner) than the Shogun sliders I tried once on my first race bike, one of which snapped off in a high-side. Since then it's been Intuitive or nothing for me (though I may give the Woodcraft ones a try, as they're solid pucks that mount to a fixed post... interesting concept!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch
    Ever tried hitting a double yellow center while in a hard lean?
    Yeah, except my center line was also a rumble strip, and I was dragging knee at the time.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dapper
    I'm a Polysporin fan. By now someone gave ya the Polysporin first, then Vaseline gauze info to help reduce scar tissue, (one would hope).
    Well I went to the hospital last night to have x-rays taken and to get some drugs for pain. They gave me a plastic brush and told me to scrub the road rash 2x a day to reduce scarring! I told them to take a long walk off a short pier. I honestly could care less if i have a scar...I just want to ride. Jeeeezus!!

On a side note, all of the members of this club are AMAZING!! Such a caring group and I appreciate your well wishes, advice and input!

Ok I'm done being all mushy!
    Last edited by DevilsTonic; Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 at 07:54 AM.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Glad to hear that you and the scoot are gonna make it out ok.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I've heard good things about intuitive and woodcraft sliders as well..anyone had any success with either of these models? I also need a new set of swingarm sliders.

I would also like to get my lowers painted red, if anyone knows someone that does showroom quality paint for not so much money.
    IMHO "LSL" makes a "crash bobbin kit" that has frame and swingarm sliders and are some of the best out there. They are manufactured in Germany and you can order them through surfsidemoto.com for @ 150 bucks. I just got them for my ZX-10, Terra on the board had them and crashed at Miller with little damage.
    Last edited by konichd; Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Sorry to hear about your crash! Getting hurt this time of year does suck, with riding/racing season just around the corner. I recently pretty much wrecked my knee although no motorcycles were hurt in my case.
    As far as frame slidders go Intuitive work very well. I had them on my Gsxr 600 at PPIR when i crashed in turn 1. If you saw the crash or have rode at Pikes you know that turn 1 is a very fast place to crash. I slid so lond on my back that my leathers were smoking when i stood up. The bike had very very minimal damage (bent clutch lever and scratched bodywork) and was 100% rideable after the crash.
    Woodcraft also makes a very good product
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!