Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/25 sunday IMI

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: 3/25 sunday IMI

Quote Originally Posted by N1KSS1KS1x
    How much of dirt rode are we talking about here?
    Last time I was out at imi was like 6yrs ago and I remember like 1mile so right ????
    Way less than a mile...gravel, usually in pretty good condition. The rain probably won't be a problem, i've never seen it be actually mud, just wet. It's a well maintained gravel road.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn1
    u guys think i'll be ok on a bald front? racing slicks right?
    There is a HUGE difference between a racing slick and a worn out street tire. If you have a worn out tire go and get a new one. I know tires are expensive, but really, I promise you they are WAY WAY cheaper than crashing. If you can't afford a new tire there are a number of guys on here that sell take-off race tires, but you'll have to pay someone to put them on. IMI is a one mile track with 10 turns in it, you do the math, you don't spend much time NOT turning. It only takes 1/10th of a second to loose the front end and fall down.

I got a dunlop 208 that is got some on it just for a track day though. Its yours if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO
    Way less than a mile...gravel, usually in pretty good condition. The rain probably won't be a problem, i've never seen it be actually mud, just wet. It's a well maintained gravel road.

There is a HUGE difference between a racing slick and a worn out street tire. If you have a worn out tire go and get a new one. I know tires are expensive, but really, I promise you they are WAY WAY cheaper than crashing. If you can't afford a new tire there are a number of guys on here that sell take-off race tires, but you'll have to pay someone to put them on. IMI is a one mile track with 10 turns in it, you do the math, you don't spend much time NOT turning. It only takes 1/10th of a second to loose the front end and fall down.
    I thought it was 1/8 of a second to loose the front end and fall down?
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

gonna do it tommorow, $150 that's not bad right?

for what tire and what do you have on the rear?

so i never been to the track before, any advice on what to bring and such, what's the deal with knee pads??

Member Yearly Supporter SixnChange's Avatar

Yo I'm going from Boulder--leaving 9-ish. you could roll with me 303-888-9939 text or call me

I *may* put the bike in the back of my truck, depends if I want to bring beer in a cooler.

Member Yearly Supporter SixnChange's Avatar

and they only require a helmet I heard (...stupid). Ill have boots, jacket, gloves, but no pants yet.

gonna do it tommorow, $150 that's not bad right?
    $150 for a front!?

Which tire??

(bridgestone Battlax) BT014's are around $90 on mawonline, which is pretty comparable to performance cycle.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

metzler, i have it on the rear too

metzler, i have it on the rear too
    metzler what?

compare what you're looking for on www.mawonline.com to see what decent prices are for that tire
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

Site Admin

so i never been to the track before, any advice on what to bring and such, what's the deal with knee pads??
    Sure plenty of advice:

1. Bike in good condition- tires properly inflated, oil at proper level, coolant at proper level, no leaks (including fork seals)

2. Whatever riding gear you have (recommend, helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, pants) If you don't have pants, wear 2 pairs of jeans for a little added protection. Boots should cover your ankles.

3. Water- at least one quart

4. Snack- something fairly high energy. Granola bars/trail mix, snickers etc.

5. The right attitude- no one wins at a track day. Focus on being smooth and riding the same line every time. Fast will come in good time

6. A friend, just in case something bad happens. You can meet friends at the track. I never ride at the track alone. Best practice is to leave emergency contact information where it's easily found just in case.

7. Sunscreen. there is little or no shade there. Sunscreen, a hat something to keep you from getting burnt.

Don't bring alcoholic beverages...it's just a bad plan.

On the track...there is only one entry and one exit point, know where they are and NEVER go any other way. Signal that you are going to exit the track by raising your left hand before the final corner so that others behind you know you'll be slowing down. Focus on being smooth and consistant. When passing another rider leave LOTS of room. IF you have to "squeek one by" it's too close of a pass for a track day.

Remember it's supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun then it's probably time to take a break or quit for the day. Same is true if you start making a series of mistakes. Take a rest, collect yourself. Riding "just one more lap" has caused me to crash at least once.

Now, about the knee pucks. They are there for pretty extreme lean angles and the knee can be used to help stabilzie the bike in a corner. They are made of a hard plastic or leather and are designed to slide smoothly on the asphalt. You most likely won't need them at your first track day.

Hope that helps...
    Last edited by rybo; Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Hey, thanks a lot, just took my bike to the shop, do they require you to cover your lights?

Hey, thanks a lot, just took my bike to the shop, do they require you to cover your lights?
    Nope. Remove your mirrors wouldn't be a bad idea. They will distract you from your line and what you need to be focusing. It's the rider's behind that are responsible for what's in front of them (you)
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

^+1 on all the above Scott is a smart cat
    Most do but it doesnt seem as if imi does but its a good idea if you can tape up or unplug

Site Admin

IMI is VERY relaxed about requirements. That doesn't mean you should be.

No, they don't require you to tape up lights or remove mirrors. It's not a bad idea, but not required. I don't tape up the bike for IMI. Ignoring the mirrors is a great idea...missed that one. Nice catch!
    Last edited by rybo; Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO
    IMI is VERY relaxed about requirements. That doesn't mean you should be.

No, they don't require you to tape up lights or remove mirrors. It's not a bad idea, but not required. I don't tape up the bike for IMI. Ignoring the mirrors is a great idea...missed that one. Nice catch!
    RYBO,

You missed BRING A CAMERA! Scotts a great photographer if you forget yours though. He's got some great shots of me and the PnP.

for sure camera, duct tape just in case?? good thing my mirrors are long gone i guess...

If we're going to talk about stuff to bring, I would also suggest if you don't already always carry these,

-Factory took kit (better safe then sorry)
    -tire pressure guage (want to ride there with your normal tire pressure, but once you are ready to get on the track you will want to drop to 28-29psi. Then fill you tires back to the normal pressure settings for the ride home)
    -water (I bring this up again because Scott ran out last week, It was getting pretty warm. Thank you Elden for popping up the tent)
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

are you guys riding there or trailering?

<- ride
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by N1KSS1KS1x
    VECHICLE 1 is from boulder Whats up by the way I cant remember how to spell your name and I dont want to butcher it. How you been ?

Hey,

I have been good man, trying to hit the track more to get confident with my riding. I love it, each time I go I learn a lot and makes the street easier, so long you watch for the cagers, gravel, deer ...(I was like 3 ft. from hitting one last week… ....but the thing decided to change directions at the last second, I was specting the impact and everything, scary)

How have you been?
    Yeah..... Diego.

If someone whants to leave together from Boulder let me know, PM me or something, and we can figure out time/place to meet.

Don't ever follow the Rybo line....it's dangerous.
    I'll keep that in mind...
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Newbie...Again!!! Lifetime Supporter ZX Rider's Avatar

I'll be there if weather is good!
    2010 ZX-10R

just got that tire on... defenetly improved the handling.. i thought my forks were bent cause of wabble but i guess the tire was just not balanced