Thread: 1 funny thing followed by 1 scary thing

1 funny thing followed by 1 scary thing

Okay so I get a call from my parents yesterday and my mom tells me she hit and killed a deer with her '99 expedition. A day later, she was in an accident on I-25. Heres what happened:

Apparently she was in the left lane traveling south between exit 192-191 on her way home and all of the sudden she heard a loud snap (like a metal bar broke under her car). She was doing about 75 or 80 and the right front tire locked up, causing her to jet 3 lanes to the right. The SUV nearly did a 180. A woman driving a Land Rover Discovery said she was doing about 85 or 90 when she made contact with the expedition's front bumper and her land rover's driver side fender. It gave the woman whiplash and the discovery ended up 40 yrds up the hill there between the exits (like a 45 degree angle). My mother's car was pretty much pwned. She ended up in the ditch backwards (but not flipped) So the lady in the Land Rover saved her from flipping.

Blessing in disguise... thank god for that big ass land rover.

-Everyone was okay but the lady in the land rover was taken to sky ridge and she was okay.

-They have no clue yet what broke on the expedition to make it suddenly jet to the right but it was LOCKED to the right and would not move when they put it on a tow truck.

Oh by they way i thought it was funny how my mom hit a deer the night before with the same car.

CRAZY STUFF and im glad my mother is alright.

SCREW FORD

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: 1 funny thing followed by 1 scary thing

Glad your mom is all good.

Surprised she didn't get her rig checked out after the dear collision though. Surprisingly I have never hit any sort of large woodland animal in a car, but I'm guessing it would cause some decent damage.

Anyway, I guess all's well that ends well!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~
    Glad your mom is all good.

Surprised she didn't get her rig checked out after the dear collision though. Surprisingly I have never hit any sort of large woodland animal in a car, but I'm guessing it would cause some decent damage.

Anyway, I guess all's well that ends well!
    lol she didn't even stop after she hit it. She was down in Castle Rock and was doing like 50 and just PLOWED it down. The suv was fine other than a cracked grill lol. that thing is a tank.

you sure the antlers/body didn't get underneath and fuck something up? I don't think it's just a coincidence that she hit the deer and then the next day the right locks up.
    99 GSXR600 & 96 Pathfinder - Gixxer was killed, Pathfinder was sold.

'03 Kawi 636

How does she know it was a deer if she didn't stop and look? Did she see it and keep going straight for it? I've seen ALOT of deer get hit up here in Glenwood and even at 50, they do some damage, to any vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by smobag
    that was is a tank.
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey
    How does she know it was a deer if she didn't stop and look? Did she see it and keep going straight for it? I've seen ALOT of deer get hit up here in Glenwood and even at 50, they do some damage, to any vehicle.
    yah, it was a deer she looked right at it but there was no time to react so she hit the brake and all but still nailed it. She didnt go back because she cries when she kills things lol. She once ran over a rabbit in our neighborhood and cried a few hours over it.

BY the way the antlers couldn't have done damage seeing as she didnt RUN it over, she just hit it so hard it flew into a ditch.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I hope it was killed instantly and didn't suffer.. that would be even more sad
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Still... It sounds like it weakened something on the Expedition that finally snapped the next day, nearly costing her life and that of the Land Rover lady.

'08 Zuma - '07 GSX-R600 - '05 CBR 600RR - '98 CBR 900RR
    LeoVince - Scorpion - Vortex - Woodcraft - RaceTech
    UtahSBA Membership Director
    MoM #314

yah thats what i thought but apprently my dad said that he had the AWD system redone on it at 30k miles and its at 60k now so aparently something went wrong with that is what im thnking, i dont thinka deer could have knocked something loose...

my buddy did something similar in a saturn, avoided a drunk by going up the curb, snapped a tie-rod end and it locked up the front right an sent him off the road later that week, at a much lower speed.
    RIP Sgt. Travis D. Pfister. 79-07 I miss you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by smobag

SCREW FORD
    sounds to me like she is alive because of that Ford. Hitting a deer the night before, and then getting in an accident the next day because of a wheel locking up? Doesnt sound like coincidence to me.

Wheels dont just randomly lock in one direction, even due to lack of proper maintenance. Just my .2 cents, but sounds like that Ford saved her life. Imagine if she was in a cavalier or a saturn. With a smaller vehicle she surely would've been plowed and probably killed.

AWD has nothing to do steering. The deer caused something to come loose and eventually break. It Does sound like a tie rod snapping.

The car did its job.
    Last edited by Sonic Boom; Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
    sounds to me like she is alive because of that Ford. Hitting a deer the night before, and then getting in an accident the next day because of a wheel locking up? Doesnt sound like coincidence to me.

Wheels dont just randomly lock in one direction, even due to lack of proper maintenance. Just my .2 cents, but sounds like that Ford saved her life. Imagine if she was in a cavalier or a saturn. With a smaller vehicle she surely would've been plowed and probably killed.

AWD has nothing to do steering. The deer caused something to come loose and eventually break. It Does sound like a tie rod snapping.

The car did its job.
    true but it wasn't the steering that locked up dude.. the right front locked it didn't jolt to the right, FORD says it was the AWD system that malfunctioned...

By the way dont diss on saturns lol. Check me out at bandimere with mine!!! http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...344ff59328.htm

by the way i ran it at bandimere just before the engine was about done so it was going to the junk yard anyways it was a joke so don't come back and say what an idiot i am for racing a car i KNEW would beat me.

classic case of suicidal deer sabotage.

Nice 2 year old thread Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Nice 2 year old thread Zombie
    no ish. freakin' nubs.

How does one even find these old threads???
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/