Thread: Loveland Pass Closed after Tanker Crash

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Loveland Pass Closed after Tanker Crash

Just a heads up. Still closed as of this morning.

LOVELAND PASS - A mountain pass - and major trucking thoroughfare - remained closed Thursday morning because of a tanker crash a day earlier that caused damage to the highway.

Authorities say thick black plumes of smoke were visible as far away as Frisco after the tanker, which was carrying diesel and unleaded fuel rolled and caught fire around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday Lake Dillon Fire Department responded to the scene.

Fire officials say the driver managed to escape the cab just as the tanker ignited.

According to Lake Dillon Fire Department Chief Dave Parmley, the best course of action is to let the blaze burn itself out.

"In this case, that's better, in terms of the environmental impacts," Parmley said.

Parmley says after the tanker burns out, it'll be easier to clear what remains without having to spend days or weeks cleaning up hazardous materials downstream.

"Right now, waterways do not look like they've been impacted - the North Fork or the Snake River," Parmley said. "So, we've kept it right there at the accident site."

Due to the fact that truckers hauling hazardous materials are required to take Loveland Pass instead of the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel, authorities say they will shut down the tunnel briefly at the top of each hour to allow the hazardous trucks to drive through.

The tunnel closures were expected to cause traffic tie-ups along Interstate 70.

The Colorado Department of Transportation says crews are working to repair damage to the highway, caused by the fire. It's unclear when the highway will reopen, but CDOT says it could be as early as Thursday morning.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Re: Loveland Pass Closed after Tanker Crash

thread jack------------

good to meet and some o the retards on here... next time i will get sleep during the day and then won't be so tired...

bunch a fuckin retards, though (just like i like...)

Quote Originally Posted by whitebrad View Post
    thread jack------------

good to meet and some o the retards on here... next time i will get sleep during the day and then won't be so tired...

bunch a fuckin retards, though (just like i like...)
    Thanks for that, and speaking of retards.....^^^

And thanks for the heads-up, Lass
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

It's one of my very favorite roads to ride. Hopefully it's cleaned up soon enough so that others can enjoy it.

Man I love that road.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

yeah, i am retarded... and i am sure that post helped you, since loveland pass connects berkely to denver?

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    It's one of my very favorite roads to ride. Hopefully it's cleaned up soon enough so that others can enjoy it.

Man I love that road.
    Yup, beautiful view! Miss it already. I hope to make that drive back on a bike sometime next year.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebrad View Post
    yeah, i am retarded... and i am sure that post helped you, since loveland pass connects berkely to denver?
    We all can tell, thanks Captain Obvious....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

ha ha ha ha, captain obvious is someone else...