IMI is starting to become a major destination for many of us. As a result we are seeing more and more instances of "close calls" that could really end badly. In another thread someone said "we don't want to learn this shit the hard way" and I second that sentiment. These lessons are ones that we learned all too brutally just a year ago.

I understand not wanting to ride to the track without the mirrors on the bike, but you still have at least two options to help keep you safe(er) out there. One is that you can simply fold them in. make it so they aren't usable. The other is that all kinds of guys show up with tools. Borrow what you need, take the mirrors off. Not too hard.

I started riding around IMI 4-5 years ago and at that time there were several other tracks available for people to go to and get their kicks. We are currently down to two tracks in the state that will let street riders on. IMI and Pueblo. Let me be clear, this is unusual. Most every other track I've been to does NOT allow people to show up and hop on like we have the ability to do. In the midwest the only way a street rider gets on a racetrack is to be there with some organizing body like Sportbike Track Time or NESBA. You think $35 (IMI) or $75 (pueblo) is expensive...try going to one of the sites and seeing what a track day at Miller or Road America will cost you. Granted, they are far better facilities, but you aren't only limited by the money, there are only a few times a year you would get to ride.

As other tracks in Colorado have closed we have congested a course that was never really intended to handle us. One of three things is going to happen in the near future:

1. We will choose to police ourselves. Establish a code of conduct and a set of rules. We should propose this to IMI and let them know that we want to do this in order to assure that the facility continues to be available for our use. Then it's on us to abide by and enforce the standards we set for ourselves.

2. Someone will get hurt, badly. We've managed to avoid that so far this year, but we've already had way too many close calls. IMI is basically a safer track because it's a slower track, but a bike to bike or a bike to person collision can be as devastating at 40 MPH as it is at 100 MPH.

3. Our presence at IMI will become unwelcome for any number of reason starting with we prevent them from making money by crashing and causing messes on the track that keeps them from running their bread and butter operation (rental karts)

I propose that we use this forum to create a set of rules that we can agree to abide by when doing track days at IMI. This isn't a rocket science thing, there are 100's of tracks that have rules already established, so lets use what already works. I'm happy to maintain the list here, please post up with suggestions. Here is what's already been suggested.

1. Mirrors must be removed, taped over or folded in.

2. It is the rider executing a pass who holds the responsiblity for making that pass safely. HOLD YOUR LINE.

3. When the group exceeds (x) number of bikes we will split sessions between faster and slower riders. For starters the riders will self appoint to a group. If someone is obviously out of place (how do we handle this?)