Thread: Concrete or asphalt

Concrete or asphalt

Anyone ever notice that concrete doesn't give you the same grip that asphalt does?
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Concrete or asphalt

I've noticed that the concrete isn't ususally as smooth as the asphalt, but never really had grip problems on either. Asphalt tends to have more "tar snakes" on it and I certainly notice those on hot days...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Wet concrete sucks the big fat one.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'll take wet concrete over wet (or super hot) tar snakes.
    Those things are the debil!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

my local track back in Va. had concrete strips through the turns for "traction." i never noticed any extra traction or a lack of traction................there were some nasty tar snacks through the chicane that made for an interesting time

Quote Originally Posted by Bassil Duwaik
    Anyone ever notice that concrete doesn't give you the same grip that asphalt does?
    You dump your bike or something?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

New concrete sucks the big one, all that damn dust!! PMI had some of that at turn ten when I was there, it sucked balls...spun up the rear every time through that corner

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

PMI sucks anyways...Like La Junta
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL*
    You dump your bike or something?
    Didn't dumb the bike but came too close for comfort. Riding up hwy 93 and right where the lane merges for the first time after 6th going N I hit the front brakes pretty hard but careful not to lock them up when I ran into some bumps and it made my front tire squeak with every bump so I thought I could attribute it being asphalt.

Then a few hours later I was pushing it a little with the onramp which was concrete when I noticed my back end come a little lose though parts of the circle ramp.

I'm sure both these experiences can be attributed to me pushing it but the purpose of this thread was to get some impute from your experiences with it and draw upon them which I am/have

Thanks for the heads up on the matter
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Maybe your tires are the weak link here, hmmmmm
    My name is Karl, ich bin expert

Not saying I've got the best tires but micheiln pilot powers, with some 1500mi on them. I was riding on them for no less then 30min when I had those two encounters so I know they were warm. It's not the first time such a thing happens.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dub
    Maybe your tires are the weak link here, hmmmmm
    I wonder if there was air in them? Hummmmmm x2
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

K....The tires are good. Obviously, the rear end is a little too light. Here, strap these babies on the Duc!

Fill 'em up with sand and no more traction control probs.

Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

might as well fill them with the gold bars you would normally use to pay for the valve adjustments every 20 miles on those piles. That would be heavier than sand and therefore better for traction.

Site Admin

Not saying I've got the best tires but micheiln pilot powers, with some 1500mi on them. I was riding on them for no less then 30min when I had those two encounters so I know they were warm. It's not the first time such a thing happens.
    The Pilot Power is one of the best street tires I've ever run...I'd say it's 85-90 percent of the race tires I've run on the track and way WAY better than any race tire when used on the street.

What is your problem with them?
    Last edited by rybo; Thu Mar 29th, 2007 at 09:56 PM.

I'm running 35 in the rear and 37 in the front. I should have added a bit after the track last week. Everything is fine I was just pushing it too hard.

So for the most part you guys keep an extra eye out for those snakes (tar patches) in the road. I still think asphalt is better. I hate new concrete esp when it's still got those groves in them. They seem to pull my bike one way or the other till they wear down a bit.
    Last edited by Bassil Duwaik; Thu Mar 29th, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

i run 31 in the front and 30 in teh back...That seems to work well for me...
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

I'm running 35 in the rear and 37 in the front. I should have added a bit after the track last week. Everything is fine I was just pushing it too hard.

So for the most part you guys keep an extra eye out for those snakes (tar patches) in the road. I still think asphalt is better. I hate new concrete esp when it's still got those groves in them. They seem to pull my bike one way or the other till they wear down a bit.
    Definitely bump those up a few pounds. Maybe 38f and 41r. Thats what I run

Site Admin

I'm running 35 in both tires on the street and 30 rear 31 front on the track

The concrete in the corners of your local track is to prevent the higher HP vehicles from tearing up the track surface. I believe that the condition of the surface, age, what maybe on it and temperature is more important re grip than whether it’s asphalt or concrete.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Always found well maitenaned asphalt to be far grippier than concrete in road riding.
    I've ridden most of my two wheeled life in the Uk - where prety much every road is tarmac surfaced.

Likely due to weather seeing road surfaces continually doused and water logged, but road surface and for some reason markings too are much better on the asphalt - when it rains here I can't see squat in teh glare of the water on the concrete surfaces - and night time driving / riding in the rain here seems to make it even worse.

Not sure also if the smaller vehicles in UK and europe do not tear the roads up as much as would occur here with the larger and resultingly heavier vehicles that are in use.

I know for a fact that the paint on the street doesn't grip for shit. But yeah I'll agree that temp, age and condition acounts for a lot but assuming that everything is on the up and up new surface and the likes would asphalt grip better ( I think so).

On a side note I think asphalt warms up quicker.

Black is warmer than grey and that is the fact!