Thread: Penn Foster

Penn Foster

Was wondering if any has heard of this school, thinking of taking their on-line motorcycle course. Not really looking to get a job being a motorcycle mechanic but I am always willing to learn more. Was just wondering how creditable this school is; after all if I am going to give them money I want something for my money not just some tech manuals that I already have or can get.

Re: Penn Foster

No experience with them, but Cerebus took a gunsmithing course some years back from NRI. Decent information, but for the amount paid, Cerebus could've bought a truckload of tools and how-to books. Advice: get an idea of the full cost from beginning to end, and ask if they'll send you a sample lesson. You might find it cheaper to "splurge" on some tools you don't have but always wanted (multimeter, vacuum pump, offset wrenches, or whatever) and put together your own "course" from a series of specific how-to books/videos on various motorcycle-specific subsystems.

Just Cerebus' two cents...
    "That rabbit's got a mean streak a mile wide!"

I looked at taking Penn Foster school for motorcycle mechanic. I just don't know how you can learn to work on something just by reading a book and be a good to great mechanic. I got to have the hands on stuff at least for me.

See this is what I am thinking; how good could this make me, if I am going to pay out to learn I least want to be able to get a job doing it or be marketable as mechanic. I am fairly mechanicly incline and such and know my way around a tool box.

Have you considered "hanging out" at the local bike repair shop (not a dealership) a six pack and a pizza on Wednesday night can go a long way toward understanding "to be or not be".