Thread: Tires for track days?- Did I get hosed?

Tires for track days?- Did I get hosed?

I just purchased some "used" Michelin Pilot Race(soft front; med-soft rear)via ebay to use on MMP for R2SL. However, upon receiving the tires, they are obviously race take-offs that have been through ##? heat cycles. I am a bit wary about mounting tires for a track weekend when they already look thrashed. I'll be riding a YZF600R, and I'm not particularly fast so I wanted to get the opinions of some of you who have used race take-offs before I try to use these. I should note that I also have a new set of Pilot Powers in my garage.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Re: Tires for track days?- Did I get hosed?

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I just purchased some "used" Michelin Pilot Race.
    Two words jump out at me in that sentance, "used" and "race." Did you not really know what you were buying?

I bet they will be fine for a few track days. Racers usually only use a set of tires for one day at the most and then sell them as take offs. How much tread depth is left?

If you aren't comfortable with chancing the used tires, the Powers are more than sufficient for track days, even for advanced riders.
    Last edited by Dub; Tue Apr 10th, 2007 at 08:45 AM.
    My name is Karl, ich bin expert

They were advertised as "used tires with good tread left" which is entirely different from race take-offs. They have maybe 5-6mm of tread in the middle; difficult to tell on the sides since there aren't tread cuts. Tires used on the street last 3-8k miles, depending on use; race/track tires last a few days. I'm kinda upset that the seller didn't mention that they are race take-offs, but now I just want to know if you guys would use them to do three more track days?
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Take off's can be a mixed bag. There are some good ones and some bad ones. Knowing the racer you got them from counts for a lot and there are several guys on here who sell decent take offs.

Lots of guys use race take offs as street tires because race tires are worn at the edges where a street rider should never go. There is usually plenty of tread left in the center.

If you don't feel good about them, don't use them. Put the powers on and go have fun. They warm up quickly and are plenty sticky for a track day.

I'll be at R2SL....look me up!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

This is a no brainer; use your new Pilot Powers. You're not going to push those tires and they're not going to fail you unexpectedly.

Like you said yourself, you have no idea how much those Pilot Races have been cycled and they "look" cooked.

Not to mention that you said you're not very fast, which isn't helpful either. Even if the PRs did have some sessions left in them, race tires simply don't operate unless you put prodigious amounts of heat into them. Since they're obviously a few cycles in, then it'll be even more pronounced.

All-in-all, you'll be taking a MUCH bigger chance trying to lap around on those PRs than you would be on your new Pilot Powers. Miller is such an amazing track, you owe it to yourself to enjoy it on some buns that aren't going to let you down out of nowhere and ruin your trip.

Have fun, yo!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If R2SL will be your first couple of track days, the Powers will work just fine. Once they warm up, you can comfortably ride the hell out of them.

At R2SL we will have plenty of racers there as well as plenty of tire vendors. They will be mounting and balancing for free as well from what I understand. They if you want new tires, you can get them there and they can put them on, or if you wander the pits you can find some take offs you're comfotable with and have those mounted.

'08 Zuma - '07 GSX-R600 - '05 CBR 600RR - '98 CBR 900RR
    LeoVince - Scorpion - Vortex - Woodcraft - RaceTech
    UtahSBA Membership Director
    MoM #314

You already seem to have lost faith in the tires. You have so many things to think about on the track, thinking about if your tires are gonna slide out shouldnt be one of them. Simply put, go with the Pilot Powers.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

Quote Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
    You already seem to have lost faith in the tires. You have so many things to think about on the track, thinking about if your tires are gonna slide out shouldnt be one of them. Simply put, go with the Pilot Powers.
    +1 forsure

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I just purchased some "used" Michelin Pilot Race(soft front; med-soft rear)via ebay to use on MMP for R2SL. However, upon receiving the tires, they are obviously race take-offs that have been through ##? heat cycles. I am a bit wary about mounting tires for a track weekend when they already look thrashed. I'll be riding a YZF600R, and I'm not particularly fast so I wanted to get the opinions of some of you who have used race take-offs before I try to use these. I should note that I also have a new set of Pilot Powers in my garage.
    I didnt read the replies yet, so sorry if this is stated already....

Race take offs were taken off by the racer for a reason, do you really want to ride on a tire that a racer took off because they think its toast? Riding them on the street is one thing, but then to take a set of tires to the track that a racer deemed unfit for further track riding is not the best thing.

Even riding on the street, dont plan on riding in the wet :P they dont work in the wet! As for canyon carving, stunting, burn outs etc... take outs will work fine, and even better than street tires at times, but to take them to the track is the wrong direction.

Basically plane and simple they can work well for casual street riding, but are not going to work on the track again...

jason
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Thanks for all your input, guys. I think I'll be mounting the Pilot Powers for R2SL and saving the take-offs for regular street duty - unless anybody can use them?? - $40/pair! Dean - I'll be giving you a call when the weather cooperates!
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Post up some close ups of the tires, that will help answer the question. I race on T/O's all the time. So you have to take all the advice with a grain of salt.

It really depends on how bad they are and how hard you are going to push them. But like I said, I race on take offs all the time and run a pretty good time on them at PMI. Matter of fact my best time at PMI was on take offs that had been thru the Sat endurance race and sunday morn practice. They would have to be pretty bad to not run them at R2SL unless you are fast on the track. But Jason is correct about the rain, they do suck on a wet track so don't use them for that. YMMV
    Christopher MRA 915
    02 GSXR 750 (first racer)
    04 R1 (current racer)
    02 VTX 1800R (gone)
    02 Shawdow 750 (gone)
    05 ST 1300
    02 WR 426
    95 KX 250
    03 Zuma
    06 PW 50 (Hunters first bike)

Definately differing opinions on this one.

I usually race on new tires, but I practice on take-off's all the time - a lot of racers do. And just because a racer is done with a set of tires doesn't mean they're toast - a track day rider who's off the pace can get days of use from take-offs. I've used take-offs (that I'd normally chuck) for schools (Code/Pridmore) where I'm not pushing the pace and gotten days of use out of them... no issues.

So your tires could be fine. Or not... depends on who used them and how many heat cycles etc. which is why it's good to know who you're buying from.

Bigger question - are they Pilot Race or Power Race tires? If they're Pilot Race then they're old and have (likely) been sitting around a while, as the Power Race was last season's tire from Michelin (not sure about '05 - I took that year off). I never ran Pilot's (switched to Power Race's from Pirelli last year) - but they had a reputation of being slow to warm up - so if you do use them then give 'em a few laps to warm up (and I'd be wary of using them on the street, where they may not warm up enough). If they're Power Race's then check w/someone that runs them re: pressures - they like pretty low pressures in the rear.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000

There are differeing opinions on this... but as someone said, its good to know the racer.

For instance, Chris (polarX) got his from a racer he knew only put 8 laps on them... there is a big difference between buying take offs that are on ebay and buying them from the vendor/racer you know they came from... haha and those tires dont really count as 'take offs' after 8 laps.

Your own take off's are NOT take offs those are still your tires. If you are practicing on take offs that you raced on before, thats what 9/10 racers do out there... nothing strange there. A racer who is on a budget, and selling take offs probably used the tire until it is toast for the track... again someone deemed these tires unfit to ride on the track any further... and if you dont know that person how are you to make the call that you know better than they do that the tires are not unfit for the track, they probably were the ones that bought them new and know the history of the tire... so hense they are TOAST for track use

What no one is saying is tires are cheap insurance... it will cost you a hell of a lot more to fix the bike then to buy a set of tires you know are good.
    Last edited by Lel; Thu Apr 12th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Lel View Post

What no one is saying is tires are cheap insurance... it will cost you a hell of a lot more to fix the bike then to buy a set of tires you know are good.

(not implying any lack of intelligence on your part Jason....)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Well... I tried to allude to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    All-in-all, you'll be taking a MUCH bigger chance trying to lap around on those PRs than you would be on your new Pilot Powers. <snip...> you owe it to yourself to enjoy (your track time) on some buns that aren't going to let you down out of nowhere and ruin your trip.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

haha sorry barn, like i said i didnt read to much of the post, you hit it on the head.

jason
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Your own take off's are NOT take offs those are still your tires.
    Sure they are - on race day I "take-off" my used tires and mount new one's. I'll either a) mount those take-off's back up another day for practice or b) sell them if my stack in the garage is getting bigger than I'll use. So ~2/3 of my tires get sold (most to track riders) with lots of life in them. About 1/3 go to the grinder...

A racer who is on a budget, and selling take offs probably used the tire until it is toast for the track...
    Not necessarily - I'm definately on a budget... Having good take-offs is just the reality of mounting new tires to race and not always getting a lot of practice between racedays. Good practice tires stack up.

100% agree here.

Consensus is clearly to ride the Pilot Powers for R2SL.

The differing opinions here lie between folks who: A) Are in the biz of selling new tires or B) have garages full of good used take-offs by season end.

As with most racer advice - take it all with a grain of salt.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000