Thread: Anybody have/ever ridden a BMW Dakar?

Anybody have/ever ridden a BMW Dakar?

Like the title says, anyone have or ever ridden a BMW Dakar? Looking for peoples impressions and opinions on the bike. I'm considering trading my streetbike to get one. I've recently become very interested in some kind of dual sport to do a lot of back trail riding on a motorcycle. The Dakar looks to fit the bill: fuel injection for mnt passes, decent power from the big single, compfy looking, enough power for street riding, and fairly reliable. I currently have an FZ6. So what's your opinion on the Dakar?

Thanks,
    -Chad

Re: Anybody have/ever ridden a BMW Dakar?

Ask Dysco. He'll have more information than you can digest.

I've ridden one once and it seemed okay. Just don't lean too hard on it. I ended up scratching the bikes peg. Didn't think it would happen being that it sat so high off the ground which makes it's center of gravity higher I guess. Outside of that one ride I don't know much about it
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

If you have never ridden trails, you can rent an XR400 locally to give it a whirl. You'll find out in about an hour whether you're into it or not and it'll be the best $100 you've ever spent.

A Dakar is NOT a trail bike. That's not to say you can't do most 4x4 trails on one, but it's a big, fat pig on harder obstacles. You'll also do a great job of ruining the resale value. You can tour on them, you can do any fireroad and they'll commute better than most bikes out there while getting 60+ MPG but the only guys I know who can really trailride them are much better than me and they still crash a lot.

The DR650, KLR650 and XR650L are stone-reliable but are also heavier than most real dirtbikes. I use the term stone-reliable because the designs are older than dirt. They will also commute reliably and the first two tour OK on paved and dirt with the KLR in the lead for comfort.

F650.com is a great resource for GS/Dakar stuff.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Well I'm definately no trail rider as I've never so much as ridden a dirt bike. My dirt riding experience is driving a few miles on gravel on my street bike haha. I don't know if I'd like to do so much aggressive trail riding, but just be able to go wherever I want, I've discovered that there is an abundance of dirt roads/trails throughout colorado that can't be explored on a streetbike. Also I'd prefer not to get an aggressive dual sport like a DRZ or XRL as I also enjoy doing a fair amount of street touring and enjoy 400-500 mile days in the saddle and a DRZ would not be the bike for that! I've considered the KLR but its down a bit of power to the Dakar and would be less of a street bike and not much more of a dirt bike from what I understand from having researched both. However you wouldn't be as mad at yourself dropping a KLR vs a Dakar!
    I might have to try that rental option to give trail riding a try, anyone know a good place in Colorado Springs to rent a dirt bike for cheap?

Thanks,
    -Chad