Thread: Jacking up a bike

Jacking up a bike

No no I am not wrecking a bike, I need to replace the fork seals on my ZX9R. Unfourantly I only have a rear stand for my bike and no front stand, I do have a bottle/scrissor(sp)/and floor jack. So I am wondering can I take a piece of 2x4 wood and place it under the oil pan of the bike and rise the front end this way so I can get the tire and forks off the bike? I do not want to muck up or dent my oil pan and the exhaust just looks like it will cave in if I try such an event. If this can not be done then does anybody know of a way I can get my font end of my bike up in the air to remove tire and forks. Thanks for any input. Also what fork oil would people recomend here? I will not race heavy just mainly a bike to go to work and enjoy a nice ride on in the canyon or such.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Re: Jacking up a bike

the header should support the weight, but there are a ton of people around with front triple stand...throw up something in wanted and see if you can borrow one for a few days.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

+1
    the header will hold it I've done it on my r6 a bunch of times just make sure its stable before you shake it around to much

ive always mounted brackets in the garage ceiling to support ratchet tie down straps, attch them to the bike somehow (triple tree, rear grab rail) in a triangulated fashion, then ratchet away. no jack needed

06 DR650SE

You'll need 5 wt suspension fluid (we use Silkolene Pro RSF)(regular fork oil is a no-no in cartridge forks), and the level is 130mm from the top with everything fully bled and compressed and the spring out. If you need help, gimme a call at the shop in the morning.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    You'll need 5 wt suspension fluid (we use Silkolene Pro RSF)(regular fork oil is a no-no in cartridge forks), and the level is 130mm from the top with everything fully bled and compressed and the spring out. If you need help, gimme a call at the shop in the morning.

I talked to another guy at TFOG later on Saturday (he said you were under a bike). I put in an order for new front seals, can you ship me some fork fluid with the seals as well. Can you also make sure my order for seals got put in, I am wanting to get this thing back togeather before next weekend. I found a way to raise my front tire so now all I need is the parts. Thanks for your help Jim.

You mean jacking your bike up like, say, this? ...

My bike sat that way from December 2006, until late February this year. The headers will be fine. I used a standard scissor lift and a 10" long 1x6 to distribute the weight.

Happy tooling!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    I put in an order for new front seals, can you ship me some fork fluid with the seals as well.
    If you are running stock springs, you might wanna check out a pair of Sonic Springs (sonicsprings.com) while you have the forks apart - to setup the forks for your weight. I can't talk about the ZX9R, but the 2000 model YZF I ride comes out of the factory with springs intended for a 160-180lb. rider. At 210lbs., on 7 year old springs, it's fair for me to say the front end was "inadequate".

I slapped in some SonicSprings for my weight as one of my winter projects... and MAN OH MAN I can't even describe the improvement. It feels like a different bike!

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    You mean jacking your bike up like, say, this? ...

My bike sat that way from December 2006, until late February this year. The headers will be fine. I used a standard scissor lift and a 10" long 1x6 to distribute the weight.

Happy tooling!

Just about but I had to put some tie down hooks in my garage so I can strap down the back to keep it from falling over. I am using a rear stand and scisor(sp) jack like you are but when I get the front wheel off the ground it wants to tilt to the left. The tie downs really work well and can not wait to get my parts to get it back togeather.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
    I am using a rear stand and scisor(sp) jack like you are but when I get the front wheel off the ground it wants to tilt to the left. The tie downs really work well and can not wait to get my parts to get it back togeather.
    Your bike wants to tilt to the left???? That's scary - your bike should be balanced to not want to lean either way. You sure it's not the floor that isn't uneven? If so, use the brick trick as shown in that pic... and just shim them out until level.

If I were you, I'd try to figure out why your bike is tending to lean one way more than the other.

My headers run two pipes under two pipes on top and run to the right side of the bike so when the front rises up it favors on the right side making it tilt to the left. With the tire down the rear stand is soild and with the tie down straps it is real soild ( I really shoke it good to make sure) It is just the way the bike is nothing to really do but make more money so I can afford a set of Pit Bull stands. I am really learning on this bike so it is not all bad. Just talked to Jim from Tfog so it looks real good at getting this done this weekend.

not exactly what you meant, but this photo cracks me up...