Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to Admin's/Mods/Members on "rules and riding signals"

Question to Admin's/Mods/Members on "rules and riding signals"

For the most part, from what I've seen, riders tend to point out danger/a problem, i.e. sand, debris, loose pair of false teeth, pothole, etc., with the nearest foot.

Personally, I find it kind of hard to take my hand off the throttle to point out a problem on the right side of the bike. The Rules and Signals section suggests using the "nearest hand".

Should this be changed? (It was brought up to me by a rider on a recent weekend ride)

Thanks, in advance--to all, for your input.

Currently on the CSC site on [Rules and Signals] "Danger = Dangerous obstacle in road = Point to the obstacle with the nearest hand"

Recommend this be amended to: Danger = "Dangerous obstacle in road = Point to the obstacle with the nearest foot WHEN safe to do so"

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Question to Admin's/Mods/Members on "rules and riding signals"

Agreed.

We also need a signal for "I am freezing please pull over!!"
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Agreed.

As a former professional SCUBA diver we were taught to us the British Method to warm ourselves. However, I don't think that taking a leak in one's leathers would do much to warm you up!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Agreed.

I know that one now, but it's difficult to articulate in words. I'll be happy to demonstrate it at some point on a group ride. If I'm not there there is one other member (the actual creator of this signal) who can demonstrate it.

AKA "Devaclis"

We were speaking yesterday and think there should also be a signal for the po -po's based on how far away they are.

Saw a signal yesterday and the police were more than 5 miles away.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I don't tend to point out debris in the road, unless it is really out of place. After awhile I think it just becomes more of a distraction than anything, to the parties involved. What? Are we not concentrating and aware when we're riding?

Anyway... I think 9 times out of 10, if there is gravel on the road in spot #1, there's going to be sand in spots #14, 49, 800, etc.
    Same thing with ice or snowy patches, or melted water.

Unless it's a dedicated "this is my first canyon ride" for somebody, I give credit to my fellow riders to know the potential hazards that are gonna be out there, and be on the lookout for them. Not to mention I prefer to keep my hand/foot controls in place while riding.

The only things that I'll make a point of, are the "I see a cop" signal, and the "whoa-whoa.... Slowdown!" signal, if say I see animals on the side of the road, or panic braking, or a crash up ahead of me.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I kind of agree with Barn on the whole pointing out of debris...I hate seeing someone signaling for debris, slowing down and prepping for the road to be anhilated and seeing sand to the other side of the white line, WTF people.

Also, while there are some suggested common hand signals on the CSC ride site, the CSC doesn't take responsibility or sanction the rides themselves, so appropiate hand signals and communication are the responsibility of the ride leader IMO.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    Also, while there are some suggested common hand signals on the CSC ride site, the CSC doesn't take responsibility or sanction the rides themselves, so appropiate hand signals and communication are the responsibility of the ride leader IMO.
    True, though our suggestions are there for a reason.

I agree with pilot's logic, though I will alter his wording. Sometimes a foot isn't as practical, just as a hand doesn't always work. Maybe we'll change it to something along the lines of "wave whatever appendage you feel will bring attention to the road condition in the safest manner possible"...

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post

I agree with pilot's logic, though I will alter his wording. Sometimes a foot isn't as practical, just as a hand doesn't always work. Maybe we'll change it to something along the lines of "wave whatever appendage you feel will bring attention to the road condition in the safest manner possible"...
    Appendage??? Oh man, this aught to bring out some corny jokes.

Yeah, but if people start trying to wave appendages, no one is ever gonna see anything.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beotch View Post
    Yeah, but if people start trying to wave appendages, no one is ever gonna see anything.
    Depends on who's waving it.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

My ... Only signal a road condition when it's safe to do so.

A few weeks back I hit a patch of sand, while trying to signal to riders behind me of the hazard. I ended up on the wrong side of the road because of it.

In that case it would've been better of me just to watch my line and worry about the hazard for myself rather than those behind me.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Depends on who's waving it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsTonic View Post
    My ... Only signal a road condition when it's safe to do so.

A few weeks back I hit a patch of sand, while trying to signal to riders behind me of the hazard. I ended up on the wrong side of the road because of it.

In that case it would've been better of me just to watch my line and worry about the hazard for myself rather than those behind me.
    Good point. If one can't do it with some reason of safety, then don't do it at all. I think I spend too much time worrying about the "other" riders in the group when I should be concentrating on my turn-in point.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Good point. If one can't do it with some reason of safety, then don't do it at all.
    That especially comes into play when riding with newer or less confident group riders...newer riders tend to learn by example and do what those around them do, however I have seen several riders lose focus, balance, and control when trying too hard to point at something just because everyone else did.

I, for one, am guilty of telling people "how good the conditions are". I am also the one that sucks them down a twisty only for them to find they have to ride out on three miles of dirt road that I ride away on like it's a YZF underfoot. Hell, I crossed over Echo Lake/Mt. Evans in the first week of March when the roads were covered with ice. I think I feel a bit guilty about taking folks down sand encrusted roads that only have 1 foot wide clear path in a tight/blind turn~~going downhill.

Maybe that is why I drag my foot through the sand. Or is it because I'm trying to throw up a dust storm behind me...

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    I, for one, am guilty of telling people "how good the conditions are". I am also the one that sucks them down a twisty only for them to find they have to ride out on three miles of dirt road that I ride away on like it's a YZF underfoot. Hell, I crossed over Echo Lake/Mt. Evans in the first week of March when the roads were covered with ice. I think I feel a bit guilty about taking folks down sand encrusted roads that only have 1 foot wide clear path in a tight/blind turn~~going downhill.

Maybe that is why I drag my foot through the sand. Or is it because I'm trying to throw up a dust storm behind me...
    A real 'Leader of the Pack' Are you at the wearbars on the soles of your boots yet?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    A real 'Leader of the Pack' Are you at the wearbars on the soles of your boots yet?
    I rip of chunks and toss em at the guy behind me. Anything for a win... Just like tossing a Coke can out the window at NASCAR.

Note to self: Ignore Pilot’s foot pointing, appendage waving, and boot dragging.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

just call me Sandy

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

How's this: Point to the obstacle with the nearest hand or foot, but only if you can do so safely (without putting yourself at risk)

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/club/rules.html
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

We were speaking yesterday and think there should also be a signal for the po -po's based on how far away they are.

Saw a signal yesterday and the police were more than 5 miles away.
    Amen,
    I've started to tap the lid....hold up fingers up for # of miles.(Like in baseball, index, index-pinky, pinky-ring-middle, all 4)
    (Though 1 mile they think you're going "You're #1" and ride faster, and 2 miles you get a "Rock On" sign back)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    Amen,
    I've started to tap the lid....hold up fingers up for # of miles.(Like in baseball, index, index-pinky, pinky-ring-middle, all 4)
    (Though 1 mile they think you're going "You're #1" and ride faster, and 2 miles you get a "Rock On" sign back)
    And three they think you're a Boy Scout.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I, for one get tired of the people in front of me pointing to every pebble in the road, generally it makes them slow down and loose concentration on the road ahead of them. If something is a hidden, eminent danger then by all means point it out, but if it is another in a long succession of sand patches just ride around it and keep focused, we have all come upon these without someone in front of us to point it out and lived to ride another day.