Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Honda Interceptor Fans

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

For Honda Interceptor Fans

Figured this was the best place to post this since we don't have model-specific categories...

The May issue of Motorcyclist has an article on the history of the Honda Interceptor. Someone scanned it and posted it on the VFR discussion forum:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...pic=31198&st=0

Scroll down to post #42.

How many Interceptor owners do we have in the CSC?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: For Honda Interceptor Fans

Rick, who joins us on occasional rides, has a fine looking red 800. Always sharp and he has done some fine upgrades. He and the bike ride very smoothly together.

Last edited by Toner; Mon Apr 16th, 2007 at 08:09 PM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I'm a former VFR750F owner. Mine was a 1994 and decked out for commuting with Givi hard bags and a plug in port for my heated jacket. Rode it 27K in a single year. Should have kept it.

Cool. My first bike was a 1984 VF500F that I bought new and I'm currently restoring it. It will be fun to take some laps around IMI with that one. It has the quickest steering of any street bike I've ever ridden. I love riding it.

My prized possession is the 1985 VF1000R. There was no way I could afford one back then (over three times the price of my 500) but that was the bike of my dreams. Finally got one a few years later:

I took it out to IMI a few weeks back and as big and heavy as it is, it was surprisingly quick on that tight track. But it's really at home in high speed sweepers, very, very stable at speed. It's deceptively fast. I find myself at times going much faster than I think I'm going. Lots of high tech stuff in that bike for the time like radial rear tire, slipper clutch and gear driven cams.

I recently bought a 25th anniversary edition Interceptor:

It is extremely comfortable (especially compared to the VF1000R) and quite capable in the twisties. If I could only have one bike, it would be that one. With that 180 degree crank, it has a very distinctive exhaust note.

I am slowly working on the collection. I'd like to have one of each of the first generation Interceptors (still need the original VF750F and the VF1000F) and the second generation VFR750F.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Dirk- Finally got a chance to read through that article, good stuff! Thanks for posting. It would be nice to have more viffers at rides, hopefully i'll see meet you this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Toner View Post
    Dirk- Finally got a chance to read through that article, good stuff! Thanks for posting. It would be nice to have more viffers at rides, hopefully i'll see meet you this summer!
    Judging by the VFR forum, there are a few of us in these parts. I'll be going on the big CSC ride May 13. If you're not going to make that, I'm sure I'll be looking to do some rides down your way this summer.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I've got one, 95, red with Two Bros. exhaust...love that thing, perfect commuting bike.

Quote Originally Posted by chadincolo View Post
    I've got one, 95, red with Two Bros. exhaust...love that thing, perfect commuting bike.
    Yeah, I mainly got my 07 for that purpose.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I like those new anniversary colors. I'm needing new tires on my VFR, need to talk to Jim over at TFOG and see what he recommends, looks like I'm going to get about 3500 miles out of a set of Metzler M1's...not too impressed with that...

Site Admin

Try the Z6....not as sticky as the M1 but a great all around tire with good life.

Yeah the Z6 and the Diablo Strada seem to be pretty popular among the high mileage crowd. Lots of chatter on the Pilot Road 2CT but they won't arrive here until September-ish. I've heard good things about them from a few riders Down Under who have them. Here's a Michelin press kit on them (PDF file):

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/ac...ubrique=CP_ENG

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah the Z6 and the Diablo Strada seem to be pretty popular among the high mileage crowd.

If I'm not mistaken....they are darn near the same tire with a different tread pattern on them. Metzeller and Pirelli have been merged for some time and have several "identical" models with different names on them.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    If I'm not mistaken....they are darn near the same tire with a different tread pattern on them. Metzeller and Pirelli have been merged for some time and have several "identical" models with different names on them.
    Yes, that is my understanding too.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Dirk, if you get a chance can you take a few snapshots of the suspension setup of that single-side swingarm? I'm planning to retrofit one from a VFR onto a project bike, but want to make sure I get the geometry correct. Thanks a million.

-Tim
    I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.

I have one around here somewhere
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    Dirk, if you get a chance can you take a few snapshots of the suspension setup of that single-side swingarm? I'm planning to retrofit one from a VFR onto a project bike, but want to make sure I get the geometry correct. Thanks a million.
    What shots are you looking for exactly?

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Banshee-

Not sure what gen VFR you are looking for, but I'll have mine at the next bike night in SoCo if you want to bring a camera.
    '06 CBR1000RR

Sorry guys, haven't checked this post in a while. There is a triangular piece that connects the shock to the swingarm, I'm trying to figure out where/how to mount the third hole. Want to make sure I get all of the angles and geometry correct.

Not sure what year it is off of, but it is single-sided with I think a 180 or 190mm tire. If I remember correctly those were the later-model VFR's?????

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    Not sure what year it is off of, but it is single-sided with I think a 180 or 190mm tire. If I remember correctly those were the later-model VFR's?????
    The 6th gen bikes (2002-on) have a 180 on the rear for sure. I see the triangular piece that I think you are talking about. I'll have to wait until the wife gets home with the camera to snap a pic though.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Good stuff. Thanks for the link. I'm having more and more trouble walking away from the VFRs in showrooms.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

The best way to distinguish the oldfrom the new is from 02+ all have undertail exhaust
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Banshee, is this the piece your talking about. Kinda hard to photograph that area with all the plumbing there.

--Thomas Jefferson

Yup, that's the spot. I think I can figure it out from there. Thanks a million!
    -Tim