Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

Well, I organized this last year and due to interest will be organizing this little event again. Last year we had 60+ bikes show up!

When: Sunday May 13th (or open to alternate dates)
    Where: Morrison Conoco off C-470 park on south side curb!
    Time: Be there by 9am, leave by 9:30am sharp

MOMS WELCOME!

Last year we had a lot of volunteers step-up to lead groups of riders. So once again this year I'm asking for a couple fearless leaders to step forward to lead this, please PM me if you interested in this position. Also would be nice if someone would play "sweeper" to ensure no one gets left behind, we can "pair up" Leader's and sweepers the day of the ride. We will break groups into experience level.

Also make sure you have all your gear! Helmets, gloves, jacket, boots at least, race suit if you have it.

Please review the CSC rules
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/club/rules.html

This will be a fairly "easy" ride so don't be afraid to sign up. This is mainly a learning experiece and to meet other people in the CSC. Its also a little "refresher" on the canyons, etc. We will be deciding the route within the next few days, keep an eye on this post for updates.

There is no "sign up" last year 30 people signed up or contacted me, and like I said we had 60+ bikes.

To sum it up: Quoting Spiderman himself
    It is intended for new and newer riders, who would like to get a taste of group riding in a safe environment, learn some good habits, and have an all-around good experience.

More experienced riders are welcomed, and some will be needed to lead/sweep, but all experienced riders planning on attending should show up expecting to run at a slower, more relaxed pace than they normally might.

I always stress that people ride at their own pace, and don't feel pressured into keeping up (ride your own ride). We want everybody to have a good time and come back and ride with us again.

(Edit by Ralph) These are the ride leaders, to be edited as more step up:
    1. David K
    2. Bob H
    3. Scott R
    4. Ralph F

Sweepers
    1. McVaaaahhh
    2. Dana
    Last edited by konichd; Thu Apr 19th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: 3-1/2 Annual Newb Ride!

Might I add, for clarifications sake:

This is a ride for new and newer riders, who would like to get a taste of group riding in a safe environment, learn some good habits, and have an all-around good experience.

More experienced riders will be on hand to lead, sweep, answer questions and give advice. Experienced riders are also welcomed to participate in the ride, however they should understand that we will be riding at a slower, more relaxed pace than they normally might.

Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

I'm coming... without any pants on. How does that make you feel?

Can I please not be in his group, I'm slow and I think that'd be distracting

<going to hide in a corner for playing off topic in a thread that should stay on>

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I'm coming... without any pants on. How does that make you feel?
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I'm in. I can lead or sweep if ya need it.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I'll be happy to sweep if necessary. I WILL, however be wearing pants.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I put a list of leaders (some will sweep) in DK's top post, DK please feel free to edit as we go along as I won't be keeping it up to date, I was just starting it. I'll roam through the pack or lead or sweep or just find a trail over the mountain yall are trying to drive around and beat you there. I'm still on the fence with the whole pants/no pants thing.
    Last edited by rforsythe; Wed Apr 18th, 2007 at 03:22 PM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

Ralph, I will be more than happy to sweep if there is a spot open.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

For those of you that didn't bother to click the link for the CSC rules, here they are in all their glory in an effort to ensure that everybody is familiar with them:

The Colorado Sportbike Club

Rules & Signals

Rules:
    Considering the trigger you hold in your hand, they're really very simple...
    • Arrive fully-fueled and ready to ride.
    • Wear a HELMET & appropriate riding gear... PLEASE. We put time & miles into some rides and you can run across some adverse weather conditions in the mountains. Don't like wearing a helmet? We won't force you to, or stop you from riding with us (that's evolution at it's finest), but consider this (click here). Still not convinced? Fine, just please, Please, PLEASE... don't let this be you: WARNING: extremely graphic image - click here to view it.
    • Safety first - don't put other people at risk. We’re not on a racetrack, we’re here to have fun.
    • Ride in staggered formation on highways. Signal your intent to move to the other side of the lane.
    • In the twisties, ride in single file and no passing in the same lane (make sure you leave enough room between you and the rider in front).
    • Rider in front has right of way.
    • Pass safely using another lane ("safely" varies depending on the individual - the person in front of you may not feel confident/comfortable enough to pass when you would).
    • Ride at your own pace. We don't make any turns before everyone's caught up. Everyone's at a different level, so there is no need to feel you have to keep up with the rider in front of you or be at the front of the pack.
    • Do NOT leave the group and turn back (or go a different route) unless you've told someone you're going to do so. Since we wait for everyone before making a turn, it would be inconsiderate to delay everyone by making them "wait" for someone who has no intention of catching up.
    • Position yourself appropriately in the pack: Faster riders may want to place themselves near the front, and slower riders near the rear. If you’re not sure where you fit, start in the middle or near the back. If you find yourself getting frustrated because the rider in front of you is going slower than you want to go, remember, you can always re-position yourself at the next break-stop. And if you feel that you’re slowing down the rider behind you, feel free to indicate to them to pass you - if they don’t, then you’re fine & don’t worry about them.
    Although we haven't adopted it for the club, "The Pace" offers guidelines for safe & fun group riding and we recommend you read it.

Signals:
    formatting of the hand signals did not copy well into this post, please visit the CSC rules page and familiarize yourself with them.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I'll be there this year. Missed last year's...kept hemming and hawing and then the ol KZ probably wouldn't have even made it down to Morrison.

Anyway, I'll be bringing a contingent from the nether, er Northern region. Not sure who, but I will post up a reminder in the North forum in a coupla weeks. I'll lead my group down to Morrison, but will not offer my services for the ride, cuz I just wanna hang out and help where/when called upon.

This is certainly gonna be a different Mommy's Day for me.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

As mentioned before, I don't mind riding ahead and getting some tables, water, sodas ready at the lunch stop. And if anything crappy lies in the road- like that compressor on 285 in the snowstorm-- I can swing back and give the 'ol slow down hand signal. If that works, cool, else, lead, sweep, or hang in the middle. I will be able to carry some compact rain gear and such in my luggage.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I'm happy to help in whatever capacity is needed- lead, sweep, waterboy, whatever.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I will gladly sweep. If needed I will lead if I'm familiar with the route.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I'll be there this year. Missed last year's...kept hemming and hawing and then the ol KZ probably wouldn't have even made it down to Morrison.
    Well if Cath is going then I'm going. Oh miss 250 BAT ho where are ya sunshine? Looking for my partner in crime.
    Should be a great time. Nothing like good clean fun right? (until it &*^%$ snows again of course - sorry still bitter) A good "learning" experience for those of us that are less then tenured.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

New condensed thread. ROFL!!!! Hate to say it but about time. I thought the other thread would never die. So May 13th it is then. I am in.
    mike

I can help sweep.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

I'll ride sweep. Let me know which group so I know which bike to take

Faster - Suzuki
    Medium - Honda
    Slow - Kawasaki

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Member Yearly Supporter TommyTheKid's Avatar

Hmmm, Mother's Day? I have other sponsitility that day. I am actually impressed with ya'lls ability to find days I can't ride

~tommy
    Last edited by TommyTheKid; Thu Apr 19th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.
    ~~TommyTheKid~~
    BLUE 2005 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom
    - my first bike - 2006-08-21
    YELLOW 2006 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II - for snowboarding season - 2006-03-18
    ... so, yea, I have some debt

DK, did you even think about the fact that the 13th was mother's day?
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Oh yeah and read The Pace in Bob's post. I try and follow that as much as possible and have found it is a great way to ride. Riding the pace lets you go fast if you want, but leaves a whole lot in reserve if you need it (and I've needed it before).

(for me) It's all about having fun: sweeping through corners on the power is so much more fun than panic braking trying to set up for one.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I didn't think anyone else was paying attention cuz I mentioned that the first time the 13th was posted as the alternate and then again in my post here...hmmm.

Well, I'll go back to being invisible now...like most Moms...

Ok, ok...I won't sulk...guilt trips are not my thang. But, thanks Tommy and McVaaahhh for mentioning it.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Then invite yo mamma to come along. Let's ride!!
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Moms are over rated..I had one once...ONCE
    Proud Sponsor/pit crew to: -PUCK-MRA #719
    R.I.P 502

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....

the 13th is mama's day??? sweet! more presents!!!!!

and to ensure that i am still on topic, i am considering this voyage as well.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!