Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

Alright well after some discussion with Dana, perhaps the southern route will be best (down 105? to Palmer). If we're leaving at 9:30 sharp, I'd personally like to see all ride leaders there by 8:45 or so - that way we can make sure everyone is on the same page. All other riders, be there with your bike parked and gear off by 9:10, so we can do a quick pre-ride talk and have a last few minutes for gas-up's.

That work for the rest of you? I don't think we'll need any maps of this one since the new riders will all be under close supervision, but if any of you think handouts of ride rules and such would be useful, let me know and I can print some off.

In case there are misconceptions about how fast/hard we'll be going, let me be clear on this: We will be at or close to the speed limit. We will not be dragging anything through the corners. This is a ride designed to be friendly for new riders, including those without the experience to know when they're pushing it "too far", hence why we have ride leaders to demonstrate safe technique and show what those limits are. If you are an experienced rider this will likely fall under the guise of "boring" for you, unless you are there for the explicit purpose of teaching another new rider. If you're coming with the expectation to go balls out or impress everyone else with your daring skill and mastery of all things two wheels, please stay home or go somewhere else.

All new riders are welcome on this ride! Even if you are apprehensive about the bike, we will make sure you are able to ride at your own pace, and probably pick up some good tips along the way. The ride leaders will hang back with anyone who just doesn't feel ok with keeping pace, and make sure everyone has a safe and fun time. We want all of you new riders to stay in the sport for a lifetime, and we're all committed to making sure you have a positive experience, no matter how "green" your skill level.
    Last edited by rforsythe; Fri May 11th, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    All new riders are welcome on this ride! Even if you are apprehensive about the bike, we will make sure you are able to ride at your own pace, and probably pick up some good tips along the way. The ride leaders will hang back with anyone who just doesn't feel ok with keeping pace, and make sure everyone has a safe and fun time. We want all of you new riders to stay in the sport for a lifetime, and we're all committed to making sure you have a positive experience, no matter how "green" your skill level.
    I would like to add, however, that even if you are green, we expect you to arrive with a M endorsement on your drivers license, your bike properly registered and insurance as required by the law.

I'll see you all there Sunday morning!

scott

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Alright well after some discussion with Dana, perhaps the southern route will be best (down 105? to Palmer). If we're leaving at 9:30 sharp, I'd personally like to see all ride leaders there by 8:45 or so - that way we can make sure everyone is on the same page. All other riders, be there with your bike parked and gear off by 9:10, so we can do a quick pre-ride talk and have a last few minutes for gas-up's.

That work for the rest of you?
    Yup, perfect!!

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

So does this mean Dana and Sweetie Pie are going on the n00b ride ??
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Technically, I'd note that the sweep riders will stay with even the slowest rider vs the ride leaders. The leaders might want to reevaluate the pace if it takes 5 minutes for everyone to get to the next stop/break but the sweep riders should not pass any rider.

Other than that, count me in. Rita's fickle. She's expressed an interest in coming but still might change her mind

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Thats the exit to Bandimere Speedway right? Is that the one that's closed? If so, I will be completely lost.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 07gixxer750 View Post
    Thats the exit to Bandimere Speedway right? Is that the one that's closed? If so, I will be completely lost.
    They'll have an appropriate detour set up for you:

C-470 at Morrison Road - (Expanion joint replacement) Beginning Friday at 10 p.m. and continuing through 5:30 a.m. Monday, all lanes of southbound C-470 will be closed. Traffic will be detoured onto the on and off ramps at Morrison Rd. The State Patrol will direct traffic on Morrison Rd.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If you don't want to deal with the traffic, you can get off of 70 at 6, follow 40 west and then make a left turn on 93 to come to Morrison via the back way. In town make the left on the main drag and the left into the station. I generally come that way anyway (well, I come down 93 from Broomfield).

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Sounds like just the lanes of the hwy will be closed, and detoured onto the ramps so I would be willing to be that there will be no problem getting to the conoco, other than maybe a large amount of traffic.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

For those traveling west on Hwy 285, just continue one mile to Hwy 8 to avoid the construction deal. Possible lunch stop is O’Malley’s Pub in Palmer Lake. Maybe we should call and warn them? Phone is (719) 488-0321.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Darnit all ...! Wouldn't you know my birthday is Saturday and I will be in no shape (read: sober, alert) to ride Sunday morning.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    For those traveling west on Hwy 285, just continue one mile to Hwy 8 to avoid the construction deal. Possible lunch stop is O’Malley’s Pub in Palmer Lake. Maybe we should call and warn them? Phone is (719) 488-0321.
    Could do a quick strafe of Parmalee Gulch Road as well.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

doesnt seem like any springs peeps wanna make the ride... i am curious about the twisties on this ride? never been on these roads or i could have, memory isnt all that good....

I think everyone is afraid that it's going to be the same pace as a parade! I don't have to ride fast all the time, it's nice to slow down and be able to check out some of the scenery...plus last time i was up that way i was soaking wet and wiping snow and ice of my visor every 10 seconds

I don't think it's going to be "parade" pace.. but if you are a more experienced rider, you can be in a faster paced group and ride ahead.. at least I would think so anyway
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

If I remember correctly, there wasn't this much 'hand-holding' on the last n00b ride ---
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Well, I organized this last year and due to interest will be organizing this little event again. Last year we had 60+ bikes show up!

When: Sunday May 13th (or open to alternate dates)
    Where: Morrison Conoco off C-470 park on south side curb!
    Time: Be there by 9am, leave by 9:30am sharp

So, this is still happening and at the above time and place, right?
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I will be giving my mother the gift of me not buggin her for the day so i will be coming up from the springs for sure.. was gonna see if i could hook up with brat and firegixx600 for the trip up there.. it was the Ihop on N academy @ 630?
    I think someone peed in your gene pool.

Yeah, i threw that out there, don't remember anyone chiming in though? I'm gonna be there at 6:30am and try to leave by 7:30-45ish (shouldn't take over an hour) Anyone else coming from the springs is welcome, I just gotta eat before I ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    If I remember correctly, there wasn't this much 'hand-holding' on the last n00b ride ---
    'Cuz you were trying to hold bewbies

.. Maybe someone expressed concerns from last year's ride ??.. and we have new n00bs this year.. .. I think they just want people to participate and be safe.....
    Last edited by Sully; Sat May 12th, 2007 at 08:27 AM.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I don't think it's going to be "parade" pace.. but if you are a more experienced rider, you can be in a faster paced group and ride ahead.. at least I would think so anyway
    Perhaps, yes. It will depend largely on the demographics of the riders who show up. It won't be parade pace by any means, but we are going to have some very new riders on this thing, and will stay within everyones' limits. If a subset wish to pick up the pace and meet at the next checkpoint that's fine with me, but we'll always have leaders there to hold back with the ones who aren't comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    The last noob ride I went on, was 2/3 experienced riders, and 1/3 noobs. It was also a messy experience and we witnessed a lot of stupidity with new riders trying to do the same things the experienced riders were, which almost ended badly. So if this seems like hand-holding to you Jeff, then this isn't the ride for you. This ride is for new (i.e. intimidated, impressionable, possibly scared) riders to get some time under their leathers with experienced people in a safer way. This isn't the ride where experienced riders demonstrate how fast they can go, or how tight they can pass that car - it's where experienced riders teach the new ones, remembering that those new riders have but a fraction of the experience or acquired skill.

It isn't hand-holding, it's education. And as I've said to everyone already, this is not a typical CSC weekend ride - don't show up expecting anything different. If a bunch of experienced folks want to have a different ride somewhere else it won't hurt our feelings any; we just don't want to mix one of "those" rides with this one.

You were slow and inexperienced once too Jeff, and the "but it was the 1800's and we didn't even have bikes then" excuse doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    So, this is still happening and at the above time and place, right?
    Yes! Pre-ride meeting will be at 9:10 sharp, please be parked and lid-off by that point. Ride leaders/sweepers be in the same condition by 8:45 so we can all chat beforehand.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by firegixx600 View Post
    Yeah, i threw that out there, don't remember anyone chiming in though? I'm gonna be there at 6:30am and try to leave by 7:30-45ish (shouldn't take over an hour) Anyone else coming from the springs is welcome, I just gotta eat before I ride!

I will see you there
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Talking Re: 3rd Annual Newb Ride - Sunday May 13th (new condensed thread)

damn man 6:30am, sleeping in made that sound EARLY! i am still thinking of rolling, i want to ride fast though in the twisties. but i can restrain myself, im not a newb but i can ride relaxed too, enjoy the scenery i know we'll see. and its looking like its gonna be nice as hell out! i guess 6:30..am........ at ihop, so lets see two from the south fountain area, one from cripple creek, ( damn you get to haul ass through twisties to get here, not fair) I-hop i guess it is, unless someone wants to meet elsewere. is that early enough, i really dont want to speed down the interstate or anywere a cop can ticket and individual... ( )
    Brat